ok Mopar 360V8 or build up a g54

ghinckley68

^ IDK about that http://www.summitrac...CFdBlOgodp0oApg

not to many mopar crate motors out there for a decent price this was is north of 6K and your still going to need a trans to put behind it. For 6K you could build some pretty BA 4cyl and even 6 cyl motors.

And 400 HP is not even relaly that good anymore. Stock V6 NA motors are making north of 300 now.

Edited by jszucs

I'd do neither, get an aluminum v8. Then go fast all the time, everywhere. haha

Seriously though, the weight is the only thing thats against you with the mopar engine, but if you put it rearward enough it will still be fine. And if your not going to be competitively tracking the car, who cares? It will still be a blast to drive, and will be reliable everyday. Higher cost? I payed $1500 for my engine, and you can buy 00 camaros RUNNING for 5-7k all day. Pull what need, part the rest, break even. FREE basically. Please dont argue about 4 cyliders vs v8's they are both great in their own ways. Life is jjust easier with a v8.

Edited by Convette

Not here to argue about 4 cylinder vs 8 cylinder,just the fact its always been fun putting v-8s into lighter smaller bodies. Think, Jensen Interceptor with 383 and 440 mopar engines,Sunbeam Tigers used ford small blocks,the Triumph TR-8 used a land rover v-8. Just saying, maybe its time to look outside the box into a Mitsubishi 4 cyl turbo diesel, even more torque.
  • Like 1

I aready have a 360 fully working. A Al intacke is about 300 and al heads are about 600 each.

1/2 the battle already This is really where it's at though "I'd do neither, get an aluminum v8. Then go fast all the time, everywhere. haha "

and not even 400 HP how much more would it take, and how much more $ to really get the numbers up.

Guys i have a 360 out of my 91 ramcharger which i am putting a 400 in. now it makes 265 bone dead stock with emissions and a throtle body. Get a eldrerbrock intake for 300 and there heads at 600 each and your at over 350. it does not take much to get to 400 after that. the 360 makes tons of power once you desmog it.

how much would cost to get 350 oout of a g54(A LOT) and then its pretty much tapped out. with out stupid stuff. 350 out of a 360 is nothing.

Edited by ghinckley68

how much would cost to get 350 oout of a g54(A LOT) and then its pretty much tapped out. with out stupid stuff. 350 out of a 360 is nothing.

Where are you getting your #s from? We have people running 700+hp on a G54B. With a MPI manifold, 750cc injectors and a 20g turbo you can hit 350hp on a stock engine. You have to do more fab work to drop in a V8 than you do to switch to MPI.

Where are you getting your #s from? We have people running 700+hp on a G54B. With a MPI manifold, 750cc injectors and a 20g turbo you can hit 350hp on a stock engine. You have to do more fab work to drop in a V8 than you do to switch to MPI.

Exactly and using a modern motor like my 2.0 FSI motor with adding just over $700 made 300 HP and 309 footpounds. Could get it to 400 easy with an exaust manifold, turbo upgrade, and new software..... more then likely would need to add a new catch can (PCV issues with the car) and would want to upgrade intercooler and piping, but I would have under 2K into it for all that and be at 400 HP and simillar torq........ more then likely the DSG would also need to get upgraded and before braking a 1/2 shaft you would want to upgrade them too. So even say 3K...... 3K to 400 HP from 200 stock is pretty freaking good.

Yeah I don't know where the numbers are coming from but I am pretty sure it would be easier to get 350whp out of the 4g engine by using a maft, hx35, larger injectors etc. then to completely swap a different engine in. Also I don't know if I am in belief of the 360 making 265whp. The g54b in stock form with highest ratings were around 155whp?

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

Maybe I am missing it but looks like break horsepower is around 230 so wheel is probably in the 195 range. Not too far off what a g54b can get with just increase in boost.

However I would probably do the 360 if I had to do it again because I've already built a g54b :D

All comes down to what you want and how much you have ;)

I vote turbo 360 :D :D

other choices out there also 3.3 and the 3.8 v6 is no slouch or the 318 or 360 add a turbo to any of these engines and 400-500- can't be all that hard to do but what ever you do DO NOT go carberated, that same MS you used on your mpi 2.6 will work on any thing

other choices out there also 3.3 and the 3.8 v6 is no slouch or the 318 or 360 add a turbo to any of these engines and 400-500- can't be all that hard to do but what ever you do DO NOT go carberated, that same MS you used on your mpi 2.6 will work on any thing

no no carborator. MS and its throtle body. and then on to a MPI set up. but still it would be much more power at any cost point than a g54 or 4g63

not sure of the yr but chyr did do a multiport inj system on a 318 but I only recall seeing one and

that car was around a lot of shops and never did run right from day one even the dealer gave up on

trying to fix it , last I heard of the car it was 3 yr old and never was sold

but adding inj bungs to an after market intake should be doable

ok some history for the non mopar fanatics.

The LA block 273,318,340 and 360 come in about 3 main versions. The ones with carbs till the late 80s. in 88or so they went to throtle body and roller lifters on the 318 and in 90 the 360. in 93 with the release of the ram trucks they went to the magnum engines. Now all the block or for the most part the same. The heads and the intakes on the Magunums are a little different but will fit on any LA block as long as you use the Magnum intacke.

I have a 91 360 with the roller rockers and throttle body. I can put a set of magnum heads intake on it and it makes about 350hp in that configuration. The magnum heads are some of the best heads ever made for the LA family and can be had for about 200 each. the intakes well they are quite tall so that i would need to make probally do something like the LS intakes but still. Cheap.

the Magnums are full sequitnal multipoint injection and make very good power.

Edited by ghinckley68

you mean roller lifters right ? and yes, the magnum heads, even on a 318 with a nice cam/intake/carb combo will make 400 hp

yes roller lifters and that is whats in my 360. It will get my 6k lb RamCharger to 60 in 11 or so seconds with a slushbox atuo and 33 inch tires; should kick the living crap out of a Conquest.

Edited by ghinckley68

Why not a 5.7 hemi? I hear a lot of people complain about them but I figure in a car even in stock form it would scoot if you could keep it around the 3k lbs.

My 2005 ram 1500 did 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds with a few mods

Find you a 1970 340 with dual point dizzy and steel crank. Build from there if you want to run a NA mopar engine

Jimmy

yep you should be able to find one of them motors for maybe $6k apiece

I can't even remember the last time I saw one