Leaking primary injector - clean or rebuild?

HeroJr

Hey all!

This past Spring, I swapped on some stock injectors to replace the Trilogy Turbo injectors I had and my car ran much better. It went from running too lean (15.5+) at idle and light acceleration to running 13.0ish at idle and 14.7ish at light and moderate acceleration.

However, two months ago, I found gas in my oil. I thought it was from lots of tuning I did over the Summer where I was probably flooding the motor, so I changed the oil and kept my eye on it. This past week, I discovered that I likely had gas in my oil again.

I took off the OVCP and energized the fuel pump test port. When I looked at the injectors in the throttle body, the primary had a little drop of gas on the tip. This dripped off after a few minutes and a few minutes later another drop of gas was forming. So, I figure I have a slow leak in my primary. Both injectors were off of a stock 85k mile 88 and look a bit old. I hope this slow drip was the cause of gas in my oil.

So, do I first have the injectors cleaned at a place like Witch Hunter or RC Engineering? Or, do I send them to GB Remanufacturing (which I found on Rock Auto) and have them rebuilt/remanufactured? Or both (if so, in what order)? Cleaning is $24 per injector. GB Reman will rebuild them for $32 per injector.

I want to to do this right and I want to end up with dependable stock injectors. My experience with the Delphi injectors from Trilogy Turbos has been frustrating and a little bit of reading suggests that the wrong kind of injectors (and the Delphis are not designed for TBI) might never work. Also, I have done lots of reading on this site about leaking injectors (which brought up Python Injection, but I don't know if they still offer reman), but no one specifically addressed my question.

Thanks!

Yeah, injectors aren't really a rebuildable item (at least that's been my experience). YOu can have them cleaned, but that won't stop a leak. I've often wondered about checking out Fuel Injector Clinic (FIC). They can pretty much build injectors to any spec you need. A lot of guys in the dsm world use them. I haven't heard much about them on this site, but I wonder if they could help us Starquest guys out.

I just went through the same thing 2 weeks ago, I had a leaky injector, and got lucky, I got one off MotoCam. I also had Delphi ones like you at one point in time, my car was always running pig rich, so I sold them off and went back to stock.

The reason I asked about rebuilding the injector is because when you look for injectors on Rock Auto, it lists the following : "GB REMANUFACTURING Part # 81116111 Remanufactured T/B Injector - Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order."

When I looked further into GB Remanufacturing, I found a site here - http://www.gbreman.com/ It looks like their primary business is remanufactured fuel injectors.

BUT, after some more Googling, it looks like the GB Remanufacturing process is also just to clean them and call that "remanufacturing." I might call them next week to confirm. It did seem pretty cheap to "rebuild" them for $32.

I do have two other primary injectors that came with the car. I am going to put those on and see how they do. There are several diesel service shops here in Charlotte, too, where I can get a pair cleaned if I can assemble a pair that doesn't leak. I will update this thread further when I have some more info.

WitchHunter or RC Engineering. I've used RC and they're great. QUICK turn around. If your injectors are just dripping, a cleaning from one of these places will probably take care of them. If they're seeping fuel around the upper plastic then they're shot.

WitchHunter or RC Engineering. I've used RC and they're great. QUICK turn around. If your injectors are just dripping, a cleaning from one of these places will probably take care of them. If they're seeping fuel around the upper plastic then they're shot.

That's ^^^^ the problem I was having.

vbrad511 - they are just dripping from the tip. I don't think they are leaking on the outside or anywhere where the gas would then be leaking onto the outside of the throttle body. The leak from the tip didn't really cause any drivability issues, but I have gas in my oil again after just changing the oil 2 months ago, so I need to fix that. I think it was dripping gas down the intake, which was then eventually getting into the crankcase. I did take a lot of short trips (nine miles or less, which is the distance to my work) during the last two months so that probably exacerbated the problem.

Check the Ohms on each of 'em. If the OHM reading is greater than 3.3 then they are shot. The injector coils have too much resistance in 'em to actuate properly.

Yeah, I know that the FSM says no more than 3 ohms, but I have run the OEM injectors at 3.2 ohms with no detrimental problems. So I am assuming that Mitsu has a safety factor of 10% over 3 ohms built into the FI ECU.

Maybe the resistance will go down after you clean 'em cuz the crud was flushed out of 'em. I had that happen twice. Our fuel injectors do strange things sometimes - and it just doesn't make sense. :wacko: :blink:

For What It's Worth.

KEN

In fact there is one place that rips injectors apart, rebuilds and puts new plastic tops on them. I'm not suggesting it's necessarily the place to go but we probably should look into them again. In the early days they had drip problems. I had to swap a number of them before I got a pair that didn't drip. The good news is that the plastic part is flawless - I've never seen any weeping. They are or were only sold thru distributors and they're no longer very inexpensive. I paid roughly $140 each. http://www.python-injection.com/

I am running a python secondary and have been for many many years. As it turns out the primary they sent me was actually a core from a plymouth champ or something smaller but it took me years to figure it out, a simple matter of looking at the marks on the casting. I replaced it with a good stocker from this board but still run the secondary.

Folks have argued with me for years about whether or not this is real so here is the proof. The injector pictured is the small primary I don't use. :)

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r760/yedde/python_zps5c03ed0c.jpg

I should mention that this a core system so your old leaky injectors do not belong in the trash.

Edited by Edde

The reason they drip is because of buildup in the pintle (tip) keeps them from sealing when they shut off. Either crap in the fuel that's escaped the filters, or just varnished up from years of fuel flowing through. Either way, a professional cleaning will usually get all the ugly stuff out of them and make them flow like new again. If you can afford the downtime while they're in the mail it's a worthy investment. Much better than experimenting over and over again with potentially dirty/bad used injectors.

• 4 weeks later...

In fact there is one place that rips injectors apart, rebuilds and puts new plastic tops on them. I'm not suggesting it's necessarily the place to go but we probably should look into them again. In the early days they had drip problems. I had to swap a number of them before I got a pair that didn't drip. The good news is that the plastic part is flawless - I've never seen any weeping. They are or were only sold thru distributors and they're no longer very inexpensive. I paid roughly $140 each. http://www.python-injection.com/

I am running a python secondary and have been for many many years. As it turns out the primary they sent me was actually a core from a plymouth champ or something smaller but it took me years to figure it out, a simple matter of looking at the marks on the casting. I replaced it with a good stocker from this board but still run the secondary.

Folks have argued with me for years about whether or not this is real so here is the proof. The injector pictured is the small primary I don't use. :)

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r760/yedde/python_zps5c03ed0c.jpg

I should mention that this a core system so your old leaky injectors do not belong in the trash.

Thanks for posting this am going to contact them

Why don't u just bench clean them yourself ? YouTube has a lot of videos on how to do this . I used a 9v battery a simple can of carb cleaner and a hose that fits tight on either end of the inj and then got a smaller hose I clamped on the red straw . Put the hose on the exit end of the inj clean that side first. Check out how they do it on those videos it's the easiest thing to do.