Manual Steering swap

blue_crush

It didn't. You can make those work without a whole lot of effort but I believe the steering columns between the pickup and our cars was different so there will be some fabbing.

Several members have successfully converted to manual steering using this type of box from a mighty max or D50. I have one of these sitting in my parts stash waiting for me to rip out the power steering box. The hard part is that the lengths of the steering columns are all different so you need to fabricate an extended steering coupler. This is typically difficult because the measurements have to be very precise and the piece has to be basically bulletproof to hold up to the added stress. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, great post CCAlex!

Speedy2222: Actually, the only manual box that should be considered is one with a tighter ratio than ours. PQ has a lot of good info on this subject.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Well I read through a few different post of his, and I see that he sold the box and the column. I found nothing on making a column to fit a non powered box. Anyone know how this is done. I'm no stranger to fabrication, just not sure what to do to make this work. Or... Can I get the box and use the column from the truck?

I don't really see the point of all that work to put in an inferior part with a terrible ratio ultimately hurting performance.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Do some research before you post. I have done this sucessfully, the ratio difference is negligible and the part is not inferior, it's still factory. Do a search using my screenname, I believe the post was "Manual steering gearbox?". I had pics showing how I extended the coupler and all the good/bad/drama/opinions on the manual swap The car is still on the road with no problems. Unless YOU did this yourself, don't believe everything you're read. I'm very happy with the finished product, but it's not for everyone..

Zack K.

Edited by zactek

You really don't know what you're talking about. Do some research before you post. I have done this sucessfully, the ratio difference is negligible and the part is not inferior, it's still factory. Do a search using my screenname, I believe the post was "Manual steering gearbox?". I had pics showing how I extended the coupler and all the good/bad/drama/opinions on the manual swap The car is still on the road with no problems. Unless YOU did this yourself, don't believe everything you're read. I'm very happy with the finished product, but it's not for everyone..

Zack K.

Is it recirculating ball? Is the ratio not typical for a manual steering ratio? What exactly are you improving?

Is it recirculating ball? Is the ratio not typical for a manual steering ratio? What exactly are you improving?

Like I said, all of the above questions have been debated, beaten to death, and answered. "Manual steering gearbox?" post in the BS forums. Until you drive a car with this conversion, don't knock it.

Zack K.

It didn't. You can make those work without a whole lot of effort but I believe the steering columns between the pickup and our cars was different so there will be some fabbing.

Wrong, there were some early Non-US Starions which had manual steering. Not an urban legend, lol.

Zack K.

Zack K.

I'm just saying if you are gonna spend money, better options exist.

I'm just saying if you are gonna spend money, better options exist.

Yes, you're right. But swapping the box and lenghtening the coupler or column is by far the least complicated and cheapest. The other options are much more involved.

Zack K.

thanks for the info. Just for the record, I'm doing this because it's for my drag car. No extra brackets, belts, pumps, or lines to deal with, plus less weight, and lets not forget the most important one.. NO LEAKS!!

Thanks again.

thanks for the info. Just for the record, I'm doing this because it's for my drag car. No extra brackets, belts, pumps, or lines to deal with, plus less weight, and lets not forget the most important one.. NO LEAKS!!

Thanks again.

ALL of those reasons is why I did it to mine. I'm hardcore though and used it on a DD with no issues other than a good workout when parking, lol

Zack K.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done this but in reverse,, I replaced a manual gear box on a 86 D50 with an 83 starion power steering gear box system,,

the D50 ws neary imposibe to drive with wide tires but the power steering swap made it a totally diff truck,, but the couplers and shafts are of diff design and size so there is a bit of fabing and top brg is diff size