Getting sloppy Rockauto...

89PalermoSHP

Ordered struts and dust boots/bumpers from rockauto last weekend. Packages show up yesterday and see that the kyb's were shipped individually in their "retail" packaging and that the band had come off of one, poked itself through the side of the box, and the top nut was mia. So I decided to go over the rest of the order and wouldnt you know, one of the bumpers is missing from the boot kit. Not the end of the world, but do you think they coukd offer an upgraded shipping service on the parts that needed to be replaced so I could work on the car when I had originally planned?? Nope! Nothing but lost time on my end.

I realize mistakes happen but thats when a good company does what it takes to come through when the situation was thier fault to begin with. It didnt happen this time and next time I will think about ordering elsewhere.

And since were on the subject... ATTN: KYB, the stupid bands you put around your struts during shipping may save you $.05 but it is a piss-poor way of packaging your product. Use the wire loop like monroe does! This has happened three times now ordering KYB struts.

I've had no problems with the so far. I've ordered a bunch of stuff. Though I gotta say I ordered sway bar bushing kit and what I got was some super dried up rock hard almost plastic like "bushings". But I sorta expected that as I have a feeling they got it from some long lost auto parts warehouse in the desert.

I have had problems too. When they shipped my NGK spark plugs they just put them in a padded shipping bag and sent them. Two spark plugs came out and were loose in the bag. I complained about it when they didn't ship all of my spark plugs. I ordered 12 and only got 8. They shipped the rest of the order the same way again.

I also got a rusty timing set from them twice.

rockauto stuff does come from closeout sales.no way of knowing where it originally come from.the risk of buying cheap online stuff.On the other hand I've gotten bad or wrong stuff from all 3 of the autoplaces here in last couple yrs....like 50% of the time.advance,autozone and orieleys....on 4 occasions it was a part that failed causing a breakdown on the road.made in mexico fan belt the latest.walked 6 miles last Friday in 97 degree TN heat and humidity.the belt on my truck was 2 months old.the thermostat that stuck closed back in late june was 4 months old.sucks when a $5 part kills your engine.,doesn't really matter where you buy it anymore...may as well buy the cheapest cause none of it is made with any quality in mind anymore.Original parts from a dealership is the best option.ofcourse good luck finding parts for a 25 yr old car at local Mitsubishi dealer.

The problem is this: Rockuto doesn't have "ANY Parts!" They are NOT a warehouse, stocking "Anything!" They are just an "Umbrella?" company that deals w/ most all the auto parts retailers around the country. Everything you see listed from them, is from a locator grid. You order, they in turn contact where the parts shown are, & "Those" retailers ship it to you. They have NO Control over packaging/shipping. That's why if you notice, when your order gets bigger, the shipping areas continue to change, costing not only more to you for shipping, but possibly to stay in line w/ their agreement w/ the retail establishments; & making them more money. (their money) I once ordered a rather large order w/ repetitive items. These items came from (3) different shipping areas, all the same item, some as close as (3) blocks away from me. With a cost of $9 to ship a thermostat! I have found them to have good deals @ times, but more often than not, there's something missing in the order, it's the wrong item, or the wrong item in the right box,(a returned/swapped out item) old stock, even used. I still buy some stuff, but it's always a crap shoot w/ them. Trouble is: we just don't have a lot of access to our rapidly fading parts? :huh: Edited by kidjc

DON'T order a idler pulley from them for your SQ , you'll get a pulley for some Ford , I gave up after trying and returned the same part twice and it cost ME $$$$ ! Rockauto in my opinion can be very "hit or miss" when it comes to our cars . Edited by SOTTY

DON'T order a idler pulley from them for your SQ , you'll get a pulley for some Ford , I gave up after trying and returned the same part twice and it cost ME $$$$ ! Rockauto in my opinion can be very "hit or miss" when it comes to our cars .

DITTO!

DittoHow True dude! Exact same thing happened to me, think it's still around here somewhere?

And now that I think about it.... since I had to just order and pay for another strut (rather than waiting weeks for the swap out), I bet the 5% discount wasnt applied. So not only do I get to wait a week longer but I also get to pay more for the product. Never again will I buy from rockauto. Edited by 89PalermoSHP

Once you add in shipping and time it is no longer a "deal".

I agree with this. Shipping ruins the deal. I order a coil for our cars that was a deal at 6 dollars and made in Japan. Some coil came that is much bigger than what the stock coil is.

Im pretty much done with rockauto. If I can get it somewhere else I do. Even if its more money. Shipping is crazy high and I have received numerous products that were in the right box but a totally different part.
  • Like 1

never ordered from them...probably never will after hearing your opinions. This has been great feedback for me guys since I'm about to start in on the assembly of my rebuild and will need lots of parts. thanks! Edited by NikoFab

I've had mostly success from them...except for the rear calipers I ordered once.

One had a completely different gold mounting bracket (with black caliper) that didn't even fit the bolt-holes on the car. :)

Swapped out my old bracket, worked like a champ!

and yeah, sometimes there service is lacking.

But they give you a free fridge magnet! :)

-N8

Edited by natallica

Yeah they have screwed me too. ordered stearing parts (all) and they shiped me the wrong lower ball joints, and one other non intercooled part that was way to short IIRC.

That being said other then DAD and NAPA every place has screwd me over on parts for this car.

Edited by jszucs

Yeah they have screwed me too. ordered stearing parts (all) and they shiped me the wrong lower ball joints, and one other non intercooled part that was way to short IIRC.

That being said other then DAD and NAPA every place has screwd me over on parts for this car.

Agreed ^ ^Dad and Napa have always got it right with me too , i'm also fortunate to have a real old "maw n paw" parts store here in Vegas who have also been very good at finding me the right parts even off the shelf in some cases , i too i'm done with Rockauto and have been for quite some time now. :)

The straw that really broke the back for me with Rock Auto was when I needed the stupid banjo bolt for my clutch line, and they wanted to charge me like 10 or 12 bucks to ship a single bolt that would have gown in the mail with a stamp...... heck even 5 bucks would have been OK.

My Rockauto experiences have been pretty good. I've bought lots of parts for my SQ from them, but I will admit I'm very thorough before I order, knowing that they can be wrong at times. But I'd say they have about the same failure rate as any local parts place. Being a pretty busy person I prefer to order it from them and just have it show up on my doorstep.

it's been my experiance with Rock Auto that the customer is the one looking up the part numbers for the parts they are ordering ,now we all know the people that make up these parts programs normaly know nothing about auto's much less about what the part they are giveing a number to ,, so mistakes do happen ,,and guys do order the wrong part and it is easier to place the blame on them rather then admit to makeing a mistake ;) it serves no good for any auto part place to send you a wrong part and poosibly loose a customer over it

reading this thread i get the idea every one is way to quick to place blame on others, truth is every store makes mistakes normaly it's not done on purpous and some times a little closer look will stop this from happening but some times the person pulling the order makes a mistake also

the main thing is we do not have tons of places to get parts from lets not run off any of the few we have left , i'd asume Rock Auto has read this thread and will make every effort to insure proper part shiping but it's up to us to order the right part

so lets try to make this thread into a learning experiance not a runing off experiance

^ the problem is for the most part the same with all the parts stores, online local ect. That old, hold on let me go check (as in physicaly put my hand on the part, compare the numbers 1 for 1 is long gown. They use to do it without you even asking, now you ask them and they don't even do it. I can't tell you how many times I have called around, they say they have it, I ask them to go check and make sure it's the right part, they say they do, and I get there and they don't have it, or it's wrong.

Another major proble is people who do not keep an accurate inventroy, and or do not real time update. You look online says they have # in stock, you go there and they have 0 in stock. It's not hard to run a real time inventory, and have it be correct.

Edited by jszucs