Any scuba divers here?

BC_99

So, here is a little back story.

My wife and I are coming up on our 10 year anniversary. She informed me last year that for our 10 year anniversary, she wanted us to take a trip to "somewhere tropical" as we had never been on such a vacation together. She wanted Hawaii, but I wasn't very keen on that idea. So, I told her that if she wanted to go somewhere like that she should start saving the $. I didn't think she would pull it off, but she started socking money away and picking up extra shifts at the hospital and early this year she informed me that she thinks she has enough saved up. I kinda laughed and said "yeah sure honey", Thinking she didn't have any idea what a vacation like that costs. She said, "well, I have almost $5000 saved, so lets go see the travel agent". I was very surprised and delighted and agreed. After consulting the travel agent, we decided on going to Jamaica instead of Hawaii for a number of reasons.

Moving forward with our trip plans, we started researching activities at the resorts that we will be staying at. One was scuba diving, and I have always been intrigued by watching divers and such on the TV, and have always wanted to learn to dive, I just never had the time or necessity for it. Well, after reviewing the resorts policies, we could go there and spend a day taking a class there to get "resort certified" and dive once for free, or we could go ahead and get PADI certified and dive as much as we want while we are on vacation. We discussed the choices, and chose to go ahead and get the proper training at a local dive shop, to be better prepared for it and not "waste" a day of our trip getting a resort certification that would be useless after we left. We have been taking the classes over the last several weeks and buying our equipment. Wow, I was surprised by how much the startup cost of this hobby is, but the good news is that we should be good to go with all of this gear for decades to come.

Anyway, we took our last class yesterday evening and are going Tuesday to a local quarry with our dive instructor for our "checkout" dives to complete our certification. Here are some pictures they took of us during pool training at their dive shop facility.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Scuba%20Pics/Scuba_Caulder-22_zpse748ba21.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Scuba%20Pics/Scuba_Caulder-21_zps059b5f16.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Scuba%20Pics/Scuba_Caulder-14_zps6f818987.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Scuba%20Pics/Scuba_Caulder-13_zps5b8747a9.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Scuba%20Pics/Scuba_Caulder-10_zpsef545743.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Scuba%20Pics/Scuba_Caulder-8_zpsedaf97b5.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Scuba%20Pics/Scuba_Caulder-2_zpsc8f3a0c3.jpg

So, that's some of our training pictures, I should have some more from our dives on Tuesday to share, as well. So, does anyone else here scuba dive? Any advice or experiences you'd like to share? Thoughts or comments? Thanks for reading and sharing in advance.

BC_99

I used to dive. Got certified just like you guys. The quarry checkout dive sucked as it was Feb in PA, freezing cold, very little visibility... Cozumel has absolutely been the best place I've dove! Deep dives, shallow drift diving, a night dive, they were all fantastic! Not sure if I'll ever dive again though. Definitely a commitment if you wanna be safe. You'll know if you're in it for the long haul or not. I wasn't.

I've done the resort course on both of my trips to Jamaica. I looked into PADI cert locally, but it's just too expensive for how often I'd use it. I can't wait to go dive again. Just remember, panic is your worst enemy. Keep calm above all else (but I'm suire they told you that). One solid recommendation, buy a decent underwater camera, or a good case for a dry camera. If you haven't been in open water yet you will LOVE the experience, and pics are great. You may also want to wear something, maybe a t-shirt under your rig. Those straps can get a bit uncomfortable against bare skin. Above all else...be safe and have fun. :)

been a long time and i'l never be able to do it again but I loved it,, just be careful you can drop that $5 grand into equipment alone and open ocean i'd deff recommend a wet suit , but most all that stuff can be rented :) you may have a tendency to put on a lb or so over the yrs lol

Remember the rules about flying so you leave time between your dives and flights. And be careful in Jamaca if you vent out of the resort type areas it's crazyness depending on where you going. Definalty check out the water falls and do the zip lining if your into the outdoor adventur type stuff. BUY CONJAC there.... it's very cheep for good stuff. Edited by jszucs

Wow, a lot of great thoughts.

Goddard, that had to suck big time! Luckily we have a very good quarry about an hour from us and it usually has 30ft visibility minimum, from what I've been told. Thanks for the input.

Yes VBrad, Keep calm and keep breathing has been beaten into my head repeatedly for weeks, lol. I'm definitely looking into a good underwater camera also. These chances only come along every so often, so we may as well make something to remember them, right? I already have a wetsuit for the checkout dives and our trip, and the wife has a skin suit and we will be getting her a wetsuit for the trip, once she finishes this diet she is on. For the time being we are renting her a full suit to wear on the checkout dives. Thanks for the advice.

Shelby, Its a shame you cant dive anymore, I'll take plenty of pics for you though, We have already purchased most of our gear, I think all we lack is a few layers of neoprene for colder diving if we need it and a full 3mm wetsuit for Julie, once she loses the weight she is trying to. I know what you mean about dropping that kind of coin on the gear, but I imagine that renting gear from different places can be difficult as you never know what the true condition and history of it is, so I just decided to spend the money up front to be as safe as possible and be able to train in our own gear so we were as comfortable as we could be with it. If I gain a pound or 2 here and there, I can either put my chunky butt on a diet or buy another suit if I have to, lol.

jszucs, I will definitely remember that rule, Our dive computers also keep track of that information for us. We are staying at 2 of the couples resorts (4 nights/days at each) and we probably wont venture to far out from them unless it is a something provided or endorsed by the resort, We are absolutely adventurers when it comes to our vacations. We love doing new and exciting things. Julie already has a list of activities for us, I know the zip lining and waterfalls are on that list as well as some kind of jungle luge thing she found. In the past we have gone to PF and Savannah GA, and Charleston SC. We have gone whitewater rafting, zip lining, horseback riding, zorbing at PF, amusement parks, ect. So, Jamaica seems right up our alley. Thanks for the tips though, it seems like we have chosen the right places for our 10th anniversary.

I appreciate everyone's input and keep the ideas and thoughts coming if anyone has any.

BC_99

Remember the rules about flying so you leave time between your dives and flights. And be careful in Jamaca if you vent out of the resort type areas it's crazyness depending on where you going. Definalty check out the water falls and do the zip lining if your into the outdoor adventur type stuff. BUY CONJAC there.... it's very cheep for good stuff.

Dunn River Falls... great!!!! :)

Definitely correct about stay'n pretty much within the confines of the resort, GOOD suggection!

Cozumel was indeed beautiful, but not as nice as the Cayman Islands, that was unbelieveable!!! The fish, WHOA! Musta been a couple hundred vibrant varries of colorful fish, all sizes, manta rays, etc. (you can feed them as well)

Sounds fantastic Britt, y'all certainly derserve it! ;)

Definitely correct about stay'n pretty much within the confines of the resort, GOOD suggection!

Now I'm not 100% saying don't venture out. More use EXTREM caution. I would personaly not take "most ladies" out in an area like that, don't go alone ect. I don't think you would be 100% just taken if you did venture out just it's definalty not a super safe place, and as long as your very mindful of this, not flashing cash and jewls ECT you should be fine. However.... it is awsome to really see a place and not the secured prettied up type areas. You can also find the best deasl on stuff in the non tourist areas.

Another thing to know about Jamaca is the cabs there are legit cabs they will have prices to and from palces listed on the doors and they will have a diffrent plate ( think there yellow but don't remember) And there are non legit cabs. You can get a great deal going with a non legit one, but you can also get taken. I had one try and drive me a few miles away, and then demand money over what we agreed on to return me. I'm able bodied so I just walked it. when he tried to punch me for not paying and walking away.... let me tell you who that didn't go well for ;)

also the rules of the road are really jacked up there. I think the person who beeps first has the right or way, and they drive on the wrong side.

Guess I didn't read ALL of the OP...missed the destination actually being Jamaica. You WILL be approached while you're there and be offered things to have a good time with ;) . Up to you how you handle the offers. They also said while I was there not to venture out of the resort or shopping areas alone, but I also heard that tourism is the number one revenue source for Jamaica so they don't put up with locals harrassing the visitors. I'd still be careful. We were also told that in these all-inclusive resorts that we shouldn't tip, that the employees were paid well enough and didn't expect it. BULL ! ! Money talks, especially if you've got a select few people who help make your stay more enjoyable, just keep it discrete if you're passing cash, and yes US currency is fine. My second trip there we went out for 3 or 4 dives. After the first day in the actual water the instructor, big fat Jamaican named "Tiny", saw that my buddy and I had no issues with things, so instead of the usual 30 foot dive he took us out to about 60 feet. Got to see some different cool stuff, including a sunken plane. When it was all said and done I made sure to slip a little cash his way.

I am PADI certified. Got mine in mazatlan, mexico. I haven't had a dive in several years, but i'd love to get back into a wetsuit sometime soon. I think my deepest dive was 120ft night dive in the Channel Islands off of Santa Barbara, CA. Have fun and be safe. I love to surface with a decent amount of air left in case it's a long swim to the boat.

You're going to love Jamaica...much better diving than Hawaii (I've gone diving at both). The Caribbean is excellent diving most of the year as well.

Good call going ahead and getting certified...it will encourage you to go diving more often. Static and drift dives are great to start, but when you get some experience under your belt, look into open water, night, and wreck dives...so amazing. The best dive I ever went on was a night wreck dive at 65 feet off Grand Cayman...holy cow that was incredible.

I have always wanted to dive and get certified. You guys will have a blast. I have been to Mexico twice but not Jamaica. Make sure to drink one for me.

Hey Mig, Sorry man I haven't been ignoring you on purpose. Its been a busy couple of months. Sasquatch said you thought I was mad at you or something, but Im not, just been trying to keep everything on track. You guys should be heading out to Drag week soon, right? Have fun and good luck with that. Im sure you guys will kick butt as usual. Swing by when you can and we can work out something on those wheels. Anyhow, have a safe trip and holler when you can.

BC_99

Hey man, I just went to couples swept away negril jamaica back in june . They had a class there I took. we went out once and it was so much fun. They have a problem with lion fish down there and since you will have your actual cert. I would recomened paying the 15 bucks for your license and they lend you a spear gun to shoot lion fish with.

^ OMG you just made it allot more temptting to go back now. I had no idea about that. Can you eat lion fish?

yes you can, the 2 guys that were spearing them would bring them up to the boat and the captain would fillet them and then just said bring it to the one beach cafe and they will cook it for you.

Well, we just got home from our checkout dives. The quarry was not too bad. The thermocline was very noticeable at 29-31 feet. Probably about an 8-10 degree drop in water temp. Visibility was around 10-20 feet most of the day. We sailed through the skills portion and then did 3 guided dives for about 2 hours total of dive time. I'm pretty sure I am addicted. Jamaica cant get here soon enough now, LOL. I will definitely look into the lion fish spear fishing while we are there. Thanks for the advice. It was a great day, sorry to say that our instructor didn't bring the camera today, so no new pictures except for from outside the water. So here is the quarry that we dove.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20130910_104850_zps57083e65.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20130910_104844_zps5fc617d8.jpg

BC_99