Thoughts on the Nissan VQ40DE V6?

Starquest_Shopper

Locally there is a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0L V6 engine for sale for $200 from a guy giving up on an S13 swap. The ad says it needs valve seals. I crossed it over & this is the specs are 266 hp @5600 rpm; 288 lb·ft @4000 rpm. These engines are $1900+ on eBay and $1200+ on car-part.com.

From Wikipedia:

The VQ is a V6 piston engine produced by Nissan with displacements varying from 2.0 L to 4.0 L. It is an aluminum block DOHC 4-valve (per cylinder) design with aluminum heads. It is fitted with Nissan's EGI/ECCS sequential multi-point fuel injection (MPFI) system. Later versions feature various implementations of variable valve timing and replace MPFI with direct fuel injection (marketed as NEO-Di). The VQ series engine was honored by Ward's 10 Best Engines list almost every year from the list's inception. The VQ series replaced the VG series of engines.

The VQ40DE is a 4.0 L (3,954 cc) variant of the VQ35DE due to a longer stroke. Bore and stroke are 95.5 × 92.0 mm.

Improvements include continuously variable valve timing, variable intake system, silent timing chain, hollow and lighter camshafts and friction reduction (microfinished surfaces, moly coated pistons). It has Nissan's direct ignition system with platinum-tipped spark plugs. It produces 261 hp (195 kW) to 266 hp (198 kW) @5600 rpm and 281 lb·ft (381 N·m) to 288 lb·ft (390 N·m) @4000 rpm.

I can't find an exact compression ratio, but the twin turbo variant of this, the VQ30DETT, made 470 HP.

Apparently this would bolt up to a late model 350Z manual transmission. I checked these, and they are around $400 on car-part.com.

I've been trying to find some pics of an actual engine to see how it would lay out for use in a SQ. Another concern may be modding engine control to add a turbo, but I'm sure a Megasquirt could be used, not sure about the valve timing control though.

I dont know much about them, other than they are WIDE engines. Might be very tight in a sq bay. Nothing is impossible though, and the price is rather decent... Tons of ppl have turbo'd them, shouldn t be that hard to find info on it.

It may sound like a good deal but I'm not sure I'd touch it. Even if the problem is only valve seals, and not piston rings or something more serious, do you know how involved it would be to to valve seals on this engine? You'll have to disassemble the entire timing system, pull the camshafts, pull the heads off, get a deep spring compressor that can get into the lifter bucket bores, and then finally do the seals themselves and reassemble it all.. If you're that far into it you might as well rebuild the whole thing, and if you're spending that kind of money I'd rather have a motor with 2 more cylinders. If you're stuck on a Nissan swap I'd look into the VK56DE if I were you.

It may sound like a good deal but I'm not sure I'd touch it. Even if the problem is only valve seals, and not piston rings or something more serious, do you know how involved it would be to to valve seals on this engine? You'll have to disassemble the entire timing system, pull the camshafts, pull the heads off, get a deep spring compressor that can get into the lifter bucket bores, and then finally do the seals themselves and reassemble it all.. If you're that far into it you might as well rebuild the whole thing, and if you're spending that kind of money I'd rather have a motor with 2 more cylinders. If you're stuck on a Nissan swap I'd look into the VK56DE if I were you.

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I'm going to pass on this idea. My current idea is to keep the engine length as short as possible so I can run a decent puller fan such as the Taurus 2-speed and retain AC.

• 1 month later...