Coolant in oil...

jabbott126

Ok we have been trying to get my MPI project going now for the last month and im having a terrible time at it. We cant seem to find out why we are getting coolant into the oil. We had an Ajusa HG on it at first then we tryied pulling that off and putting on a Felpro. Still didnt work...

Block was leveled and so was the timing cover.

Im using a M28 head from Dad, ARP head studs froom Dad, and a felpro head gasket atm.

Any ideas because im sick of wasting money

Edited by jabbott126

Well think about where coolant and oil can mix.

HG obviously but you changed that.

Timing cover, you said it was ground flat but have you checked the gasket?

Beyond that you can look for a cracked head, cracked block, or cracked turbo CHRA. A friend of mine had a 12a with a crack in the CHRA between the oil and coolant passages.

Shelby that does sound like a good idea. How do i go about pressurizing the coolant system?

ucw458 im running an HX35 so there is no coolant going to the turbo.

I had a thought last night that maybe the water pump was leaking from were the timing cover meets the block. and pouring down into my oil pan.

Also there are 2 small bolts that bolt to the timing cover down through the head. Do those bolts have any role in sealing the headgasket?

There are pressure testing kits out there, You cound probably make one for less. http://www.harborfre...-kit-69258.html http://www.dsmtuners...ure-tester.html The pan needs to come off any way to dump out the coolant that lays in the bottom and does not drain out with the oil. Was this done last time? Cause you can't get it all with one oil change. The front cover is the next place to check, after the pressure check. Pull the water pump and look for cracks at the bolt holes or corrosion holes, Than pull the front cover and look for gasket damage and corrosion to the cover that could cause a leak where the cover meets the block Edited by StarquestRescue

Shelby that does sound like a good idea. How do i go about pressurizing the coolant system?

ucw458 im running an HX35 so there is no coolant going to the turbo.

I had a thought last night that maybe the water pump was leaking from were the timing cover meets the block. and pouring down into my oil pan.

Also there are 2 small bolts that bolt to the timing cover down through the head. Do those bolts have any role in sealing the headgasket?

They make coolant system pressure checking kits. Basically a cap the goes on the radiator and it lets you apply pressure to the system.

So one thing I noticed is your using the M28 head, and this is an MPI project. What MPI intake are you using, and does the M28 head have any unusual coolent passesges / oil passages on the intake side?

So one thing I noticed is your using the M28 head, and this is an MPI project. What MPI intake are you using, and does the M28 head have any unusual coolent passesges / oil passages on the intake side?

I have checked over the entire intake side and have found no problems there. I even had the oil port on the head blocked off by the block off plate and a small amount of my intake milled out to fit it.

There are pressure testing kits out there, You cound probably make one for less. http://www.harborfre...-kit-69258.html http://www.dsmtuners...ure-tester.html The pan needs to come off any way to dump out the coolant that lays in the bottom and does not drain out with the oil. Was this done last time? Cause you can't get it all with one oil change. The front cover is the next place to check, after the pressure check. Pull the water pump and look for cracks at the bolt holes or corrosion holes, Than pull the front cover and look for gasket damage and corrosion to the cover that could cause a leak where the cover meets the block

I was unaware of the coolant staying in the pan but i will be puling that pan off soon. The front cover was sand blasted and painted before installation and a new gasket was installed. Im just hoping that when i pressure test the motor that It drips from there cuz i have plently of spare timing covers sitting around.

Ill keep you all updated on what i find

• Like 1

I have checked over the entire intake side and have found no problems there. I even had the oil port on the head blocked off by the block off plate and a small amount of my intake milled out to fit it.

theres a oil port near the plate?

just making sure, you dont mean the small coolant vein that runs between the head and intake thats for jetvalves do you/ (even though its a njv head its usually still there)