Any tips for dropping weight quickly?

shogun121

My siblings are all vegans, let me tell you there's no such thing as an overweight vegetarian. I'm not there yet, I still eat chicken and fish but dropping beef had a big effect on me. Haven't eaten pork since '91. It's not just the meat and the coctail of chemials in it, but the stuff usually served with beef like potatoes, fried stuff, etc.

The main change was learning about what I was eating made it easy to stop eating certain things, it's all mental.

Need some help? Watch Food Inc. Your eating habits will change the next day.

My siblings are all vegans, let me tell you there's no such thing as an overweight vegetarian. I'm not there yet, I still eat chicken and fish but dropping beef had a big effect on me. Haven't eaten pork since '91. It's not just the meat and the coctail of chemials in it, but the stuff usually served with beef like potatoes, fried stuff, etc.

The main change was learning about what I was eating made it easy to stop eating certain things, it's all mental.

Need some help? Watch Food Inc. Your eating habits will change the next day.

Watched it didn't change a thing for me. Still seek out fresh food, and real raised meat, not major corp stuff if I can help it.

buy the insanity workout.. follow the meal plan and complete the workout at home. its all cardio.. I have it, i done it. following the meal plan, which is cheap and easy, i lost 20lbs in 3 weeks.. it works. its hell but its 30 to 45 minutes a day and you do it all at home..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Discs-In-Box-2013-NEW-Item-Fast-Shipping-/271249207350?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f27b67036&vxp=mtr

^ by his previous post I think he would be working up to the Insanity workouts. Some are pretty gruling, and there is allot of keen stressfull stuff like jumping, squatting, lunges, and burst activity.

The meal plan is pretty good though, and he could quickly work into the workouts.

i guess i'll chime in.

I've always had issues with my weight, i always had room for "one more bite". I don't think i every weighed more then 250, but i stopped stepping on a scale at around 240, to depressing. People would refer to me as 'Big guy' or 'Big John' and it just ate away at me. All of my cloths were XXL's, i'd be out of breathe walking up stairs. I have a desk job too, so im not too active during the day.

I always liked riding bike and i had a cheap old bike that i barely rode. Finally last summer i bought a new bike 2012 Specialized Rockhopper 29er, we had an earlier spring that year, and i rode the piss out of that thing. I found riding on the sidewalks got boring and discovered an offroad trail that was fun to ride so i went there every day i could. But the weight didn't fall off until i stopped eating like crap. I started bringing breakfast/lunch to work (an apple for breakfast, simple sandwich for lunch, maybe a banana for 3pm snack) and i tried to eat light for dinner. If i go out i'd try to get something light (grilled chicken sandwich, soup instead of fries). I went from 240ish to 190ish by that fall.

I was feeling better, and all the complaints from people I hadn't seen in awhile was a real booster. "I guess i can't call you big john anymore...". I go on ski trips every year and before this i would barely last a day. The last trip i was able to go 4 days straight on the mountain, it was an awesome feeling.

One problem though was that living up here i can only ride bike a couple months out of the year. So that fall i tried joggy before it got too cold and i was able to build up to about a 2.5 mile route. I have enough cloths to jog when it gets down to 15 degrees and low wind. (it is rarely not windy here), so i put on weight during the winter, up to 200 lbs. But this summer finally showed up and i still ride bike during the week (not as much as summer before) and i also still jog, nothing more then 3 miles though.

My weight now is 190ish, but my cloths size has kept dropping. Wearing L size shirts now and went from 38 waist to a 34.

I think hard part about starting to exercise is getting over the self-consciousnesses of other people watching you, but i remind myself that i'm doing what i can and 'they' are probably on their way home to watch TV and eat a bag of cheetos so they can laugh all they want at the chubby guy on the bike.

^ by his previous post I think he would be working up to the Insanity workouts. Some are pretty gruling, and there is allot of keen stressfull stuff like jumping, squatting, lunges, and burst activity.

The meal plan is pretty good though, and he could quickly work into the workouts.

thats the glory of the workouts, rest when needed, but get through it.. dont just sit and watch, get back at it.. stop.. get back at it.. until you can make it all the way through..

i done it.. used to have to rest through the warm up. and several times through the workout.. when i was done i could make it all the way through.. its tough for sure. but you have the pleasure of being home..

jisleyjr So you know you can get chains and studded mountain bike tires for that thing right? Guys ride them down ski hills, I woudn't even think of sking or bording down and I will ride dimond hills.

thats the glory of the workouts, rest when needed, but get through it.. dont just sit and watch, get back at it.. stop.. get back at it.. until you can make it all the way through..

i done it.. used to have to rest through the warm up. and several times through the workout.. when i was done i could make it all the way through.. its tough for sure. but you have the pleasure of being home..

and yes that is very true.... I don't want him to get discouraged with a too intence workout at first. I would call this more a point to work towards. Need to start off slow and steddy, then add intensity to get you over the next platoe

O and if you can stright up make it though an insanity workout taking only that like 20 second rest you get.... your a beast.

Edited by jszucs

jisleyjr So you know you can get chains and studded mountain bike tires for that thing right? Guys ride them down ski hills, I woudn't even think of sking or bording down and I will ride dimond hills.

Yep, i've looked into doing that, but when it is zero degrees out it is tough to ride bike with all the winter gear on, ha. If i had some ski hills to do that at i might try it, but freezing my nose off just pedaling around town isn't worth it.

Edited by jisleyjr

Protein. Cut out sugar and carbs. That doesn't mean eat only bacon. But stay away from starch and simple sugars. Eat salads.

And get to the gym. Do strength training. Large body exercises. Pull ups (even if you can only do one at a time), push ups, squats and reverse crunches. Diet will get you a ways, but strength training will light you on fire. 40 mins a day and a 10 min cool down will do just fine.

and yes that is very true.... I don't want him to get discouraged with a too intence workout at first. I would call this more a point to work towards. Need to start off slow and steddy, then add intensity to get you over the next platoe

O and if you can stright up make it though an insanity workout taking only that like 20 second rest you get.... your a beast.

My buddy made me a copy of the P90X karate disc, and its a b!tch. He's a former Marine and he says the whole workout kicks his tail. Ill get there slowly, but the whole P90X or Insanity workouts intimidate the hell outta me

Yep, i've looked into doing that, but when it is zero degrees out it is tough to ride bike with all the winter gear on, ha. If i had some ski hills to do that at i might try it, but freezing my nose off just pedaling around town isn't worth it.

dude don't try it.... it's outright scarry. I use to LOVE hill bombing and it scared the ever living S out of me. It's like drifting a motorcycle, Looks easy is the scarrest thing you will do in a long time.

Very first time I tried I wouldn't lean the bike over allot (feels like it's going to fall out from under you) so I could not contorl speed and breaks do nothing. So finally they get me leaning it, and it's just falling out from under me, then I get it to lean and carve and I start catching pedals.... I gave up as I had enough for eating snow by that point.

A few other diet tips

Omit soda, milk, coffee, etc - just really drink water. This is what the results of just that was for my friend Rachel after two weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/9Bmtwi5.jpg

Also, look into omitting as much gluten and high fructose corn syrup from your diet as possible. You'll drop weight like a rock simply from having a healthier diet.

Edited by Fanta

I just wish it was as much fun takeing it off as it was putting it on , but one thing out side in the hot sun you can loose 10 lbs a day just in water weight,, not good need to maintain a good liquid level in your body ,, and water weight is the main thing most of these diet gimmicks go after

crack cocaine and meth is making some dramatic weight loss in people.... just make sure you take care of your teeth

I hear binge eating and purging is all the rage now. lol

I've got about 5 weeks now of almost no empty calories like sodas, chips, juices etc. and red meat down to twice a week. No mayo, fried foods, watching my sugar intake and reduced my carbs.

It's miserable some days. You get bore of water and want something more. So I treat myself a couple times a week to no caffeine root beer or a sprite.

I do have to ad that I have noticed a difference in my stomach, it's getting smaller. And that's without yet having taken up exercising.

Edited by louswheel01

• 1 month later...

My buddy made me a copy of the P90X karate disc, and its a b!tch. He's a former Marine and he says the whole workout kicks his tail. Ill get there slowly, but the whole P90X or Insanity workouts intimidate the hell outta me

I was thinking about you and this thread today, how are things going?

one sure way and i think most will agree and it's also one of the hardest to do

STOP eating so much , we don't even notice those inbetween meal snacks we all eat

and one more thing WHY do you want to loose weight , a hard exercise rutene will not result in weight loss it will how ever make you starve and add musle mass , you will look different but the weight will stay the same or you may even gain weight ., diff things and avtivities effect people diferently what makes you loose weight only makes me gain weight and musle mass , or did when i was younger and didn't have heart problems

There is no short cut to losing weight.

I use my fitness pal. to calculate my intake, and how much I burn. I started running in Jan and did my first 5K in june with Couch to 5K.

I ran "jogged" for most people the full 5k. Lost close to 30 pounds and 4 pants sizes smaller.

You can do it but it takes lots of work, and I am also 35 years old.

So far in 3 years I have lost 60 pounds. 60 more to go before I am happy. It is hard and you need support to do it. If you fall off just get back up and do it again.

Buddy system really helps. Ive fallen off the bandwagon in the last few years. I had a buddy that got into working out pick me up and it got me back on track. Just him calling hey lets go lift, hey comming over lets hit the heavy back and spar a bit ect. really got me moving in the right direction.