Do you think an adult should be sentenced to jail for doing drugs?

patra_is_here

. If pot was made legal, the tax dollars would probably pay off

the Nations debt in a few years.

You ain't kidding! I've heard varying numbers about the tax revenues, but even the low numbers are impressive.

Take CA for instance. Of all the different articles I've read, the lowest per year tax income from MEDICINAL pot I've heard of is 6 billion, yes, billion, with a "B". I'm sure plenty of people in CA who get it for medicinal purposes, don't really need it. So, I think most of the people who used it illegaly, have found a way to get it medicinally. However, there's still plenty of people out there who know they don't need it medicinally, and don't want to do it if it's illegal. If it were legalized, those people would jump all over it. I doubt recreational legalization would double the revenue, but I gotta think that it could at least up it by 50%. $9 billion a year is some nice tax revenue. Now, consider other numbers.... I've heard numbers as high as $14 Billion per year for CA a year as far as pot tax revenue. If that's the case, and recreational legalization would bring half again the revenue, then you're looking at $21 Billion a year. So, 10-20 Billion from CA alone, and there's 49 other states.

That's just the money the Govt makes from it. Now, how much would they save by not spending tax dollars to house pot users in jail, or in the courts prosecuting them? Think of all those DEA officers chasing after potheads... What if all their resources were shifted to going after the other drugs? Chasing pot related cases takes almost 50% of the DEA's resources. What if all of a sudden they could swithch to applying 100% to all the hard drugs out there. Same budget and people, but they could have twice the success. And job creation.... Farmers, packagers, distributors... all new jobs.

I'm going to be very curious to see the numbers coming out of WA and CO in the upcoming years now that they legalized it recreationally. I believe both states were medicinal prior to that, so it should be interesting to see how much more revenue they bring in. I gotta think it's working... I haven't heard anything bad coming out about the recreational use since it's been legalized.

Edited by Burton

I honestly can't answer your question, because it's just be another answer you aren't looking for.

Burton, the big issue i see with ending a war on marijuana is that there's ssooo much that comes in from out of country that it'd be hard to regulate and there would still be alot of people buying cheap stuff versus the legal stuff even if the right credentials are in place. i'd personally like to see it legalized( i don't use btw) just to see what happens more than anything else.

Burton, the big issue i see with ending a war on marijuana is that there's ssooo much that comes in from out of country that it'd be hard to regulate and there would still be alot of people buying cheap stuff versus the legal stuff even if the right credentials are in place. i'd personally like to see it legalized( i don't use btw) just to see what happens more than anything else.

What if the stuff regulated by the DEA is better, and the price is the same or cheaper than blackmarket? It will drive the price the of the blackmarket weed down to a point where it's not worth the cartel's time. US citicens will get killer smoke, grown with care here at home, the growers will have jobs, and the Govt will have more tax money. Everyone's happy.... except for the cartels LOL.

I seriously doubt the amount of taxes that will actually be taken in will put a dent in our debt. Here in Washington it looks like the amount of taxes to be put upon the marijuana will make it more expensive than just getting it illegally. So the people who are smokers will just continue to get it where they get it now.

I get my drug of choice--adrenaline--by illegal means. I drive my car fast. Everyone else on this board does the same. I don't put anyone else in danger but myself (similar to drug use).

So, why are drugs so frowned upon whereas hooning is not?

hooning is frowned upon by almost every non car enthusiast and is most of the time illegal. I havent read the whole thing but here's my take on it. A chp told a buddy of mine one of the main reasons they haven't made it 100% legal is that there's no way to tell how high you are. They want to make it so it can be like a dui but for highness hahahahahaa. The medical cards are a joke, i could skype a doctor right now and have one in 10 minutes for back pain, no appetite, insomnia, etc.

A chp told a buddy of mine one of the main reasons they haven't made it 100% legal is that there's no way to tell how high you are. They want to make it so it can be like a dui but for highness hahahahahaa. The medical cards are a joke, i could skype a doctor right now and have one in 10 minutes for back pain, no appetite, insomnia, etc.

it doesn't matter 'how high' you are. it's still illegal to be 'high' while driving. just like booze is legal, yet it's illegal to drink and drive.

also, that skype call would keep you out of jail and help dismantle the prison industrial complex, so you should probably do it.

that's what i'm saying. Its not illegal to drink and drive just after a certain extent its illegal. There's no way to measure your "highness" right now and that is one of the main issues. I don't smoke so that skype call wouldn't do crap for me, just showing everyone how easy it is to get a card..

Situation dictates everything!! Everyone wants a quick answer. One set of people thing everyone should be jailed. The other set thinks do what you want.

Maybe if we quit depending on some law to be in place or a "we should" pre set rule we should help each other.

And no of course not to the OP's question.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

that's what i'm saying. Its not illegal to drink and drive just after a certain extent its illegal. There's no way to measure your "highness" right now and that is one of the main issues. I don't smoke so that skype call wouldn't do crap for me, just showing everyone how easy it is to get a card..

that's why they have roadside sobriety tests for things that don't show up on breathalyzers.

your life and your self are yours, and you should be free to do anything you choose as long as you are not infringing on another's right to their life and self. i think this is the only universal truth that matters and all laws and customs should be based on this truth.

I do think marijuana should be legalized. I'm not a user, it won't change my life, but I think it being illegal is silly.

I really don't care too much is all drugs were legalized honestly. Them being illegal doesn't stop them from being available. Yeah they kill. But I look at it this way if you are dumb enough to mess around with venomous snakes and get bit, how is that in different than hard drugs? Taken further what other activities should we ban because people who willingly do them get hurt. Bull riding? Dirt Biking? Car racing? I like some of those, but other people think they are pointless and dangerous.

I had chances to try dangerous illegal drugs and passed. I didn't play with the rattlesnake, and I didn't get bit.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FUNNY-ADULT-POTHEAD-PARKING-ONLY-SIGN-9-X12-POT-MARIJUANA-WEED-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDY2/z/LwMAAMXQBwlRMZDY/$(KGrHqNHJBEFEik)i9kTBRMZDY(EB!~~60_35.JPG

Lmao! Depends on the strand I'm guessing.

I keep four 20 dollar bills in my wallet cuz I am all about the four twenties!

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Pot? Legalize it. Tax it. Regulate it. The ONLY reason it isn't legal is because they can't make money off of it...yet. Once they figure out how to profit from it every municipality in the country will add a tax to it. That $10 joint you can buy illegally now will turn into a $35 joint to cover what "the man" takes.

I'm not a smoker, I'm not a drinker, but I've been around PLENTY of both (used to get a little buzz on once in a while, but it's been decades). I have never seen anybody get stoned and go out looking for trouble. Never seen a anybody get high and start static with his family or friends. Never heard tale of it killing anybody. On the other hand, the combined direct and indirect effects of tobacco and alcohol kill half a million people in the US every year. The associated medical bills drive up insurance costs for EVERYBODY. Families are torn apart, friends lost, loved one estranged, yet it's not only legal it's condoned and advertised. Yesterday (funny this topic hits now) I saw two billboards for beer in the shady part of town. To me it was like saying "Might as well drink, you've got nothing better to do". Bottom line, the higher-ups don't care what it does to people, families, or communities as long as there's revenue rolling in from it.

Pot? Legalize it. Tax it. Regulate it. The ONLY reason it isn't legal is because they can't make money off of it...yet. Once they figure out how to profit from it every municipality in the country will add a tax to it. That $10 joint you can buy illegally now will turn into a $35 joint to cover what "the man" takes.

I'm not a smoker, I'm not a drinker, but I've been around PLENTY of both (used to get a little buzz on once in a while, but it's been decades). I have never seen anybody get stoned and go out looking for trouble. Never seen a anybody get high and start static with his family or friends. Never heard tale of it killing anybody. On the other hand, the combined direct and indirect effects of tobacco and alcohol kill half a million people in the US every year. The associated medical bills drive up insurance costs for EVERYBODY. Families are torn apart, friends lost, loved one estranged, yet it's not only legal it's condoned and advertised. Yesterday (funny this topic hits now) I saw two billboards for beer in the shady part of town. To me it was like saying "Might as well drink, you've got nothing better to do". Bottom line, the higher-ups don't care what it does to people, families, or communities as long as there's revenue rolling in from it.

you just about sumed it up

just think those same people sleep very well at nite knowing theres 1000's of starveing kids

but one poor little puppy will keep um up all nite

Call me cold but we got way more people then we need. Let them starve, or come cut my grass and I'll give them a meal.

Call me cold but we got way more people then we need. Let them starve, or come cut my grass and I'll give them a meal.

all that may be true but what if some one decides your kid is one of the not needed or you aren't needed

but most likely some thing will come along any day now and get rid of a few billion , happened before no reason it won't again

all that may be true but what if some one decides your kid is one of the not needed or you aren't needed

but most likely some thing will come along any day now and get rid of a few billion , happened before no reason it won't again

Well you should NOT have a kid (no exceptions) untill you got a house, job, 2 cars, locked down. + money set aside for a rainy day (atleast enough to carry you for 6 months at your current rate) Untill then NO kids, and even then for me NO WAY am I having kids. If I did have a kid, before the kid was even born I would have enough to cover his college in the bank making me more money. Anything less is unacceptable.

I can't wait. I am the type of person who will do whatever they need to do to survive, got zero issue eating the person next to me in a have to survive situaiton.

I actually have to disagree with that.... I have not been to every medicinal state, and never to any of the recreation states, but I can tell you from the articles I've read and from my many trips to MI, that the smoke is better than it used to be, slightly cheaper, and the Gov. is usually pulling in about a 40% tax on it. The Gov. could tax it more and make more on if they wanted to. It's not an issue of not making enough on the weed, as much as it's an issue of keeping the alcohol and textile industries happy. Those industries do not want to see packs of joints for sale in Walmart cutting into alcohol sales, or lots of hemp being able to be grown and used in the US, cutting into textile profits. The Govt. is in cahoots with them, and getting pressure from those industries to keep it illegal. Frankly, I think it's a similar issue why our Govt. is slow to get away from oil. We need to seriously be looking for alternative fuels, but the oil companies don't want to see that, and the Govt. doesn't want to lose their money from big oil. But that's a debate for another time.

Edited by Burton
  • Like 1

^ yeah the tobaco industry too.

As far as the oil F that.... we just need to save ours and take the oil form the others... not buy I said TAKE. Not steal im taking taking what we are owed.