anyone ever refinish countertops?

ive got some old rather dated looking countertops in my rental property that is about to be our new home for a while. wifey doesnt like the countertops and says they are :out of style". i told her im not replaceing them just cause she doesnt like them and she goes out and finds this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RUST-OLEUM-Transformations-1-Kit-Desert-Sand-Countertop-Transformations-Small-258514/202885348

i had never even heard of it but decided to poke around in home depot and damned if they didnt have it. anyone ever tried this? is it a p.i.t.a.? and is it durable?

I like their products... I just and watched the 16 min. "How-To" video, just out of curiosity... looks like it would be fun to do, with nice results... I'd say go for it!

Here's a shorter one with a cabinet restorations kit too.

-N8

Lots cheaper that the new "high end" laminate (from Lowes)I'm installing at the moment. Mine was just under 1000... yes ouch, but the whole kitchen is being upgraded.

Good luck!!!

Ha, I used marble looking contact paper in my college apartment. Looked good for a year or so, then had to re do it.

Like any other paint it's bound to chip or scratch eventually.

At home depot you can get new laminate to put on your countertops. Just look in the laminate kitchen section for what you like and then talk to one of the kitchen people there. You can get sheets of 1/16" laminate to glue onto your existing counters for $3-5 per sq ft. I'm probably going that route for now. My counters are a cross between lime green and puke yellow. If I use that rustoleum stuff and it scratches it's gonna look bad.

Wife and I thought about granite and quartz. It would overprice the house for the neighborhood. And we plan on selling in a few years. Believe me, what we put in there is a vast improvment over what was there.

Never used that stuff. We have droped new tops (lamanate and all) on the counters at 2 of our rentals. I have also layed stone, and tile (really easy only have to worry about sink in most places so little to no cutting) And I have helped one person pour a concrete counter top, and then stamp it. Not my cup of tea, way to much work making a form, and way to thick for my liking, but they are happy with there island.

I say if there in ok to good shape tell the woman to live with it and get back in there. Unless this is going to become a long term home not a rental.

Edited by jszucs

I know I know and that's why I don't have a wife.....

But rentals I do know we have been doing it all my life. What I have learned is: Don't put money into them, do basic neutral stuff, that is durable, and not some wacked out color so it stands the test of time.

If selling it goes two ways: Prep it up as a "turn key rental" IE everything done basic durable neutral and to code (most places inspect rentals like mad) Or depending on housing market and location, prep it as a "starter house" If going for the start house idea get the wifes input but donot buy what she wants (it always costs to much) find a cheaper durable in the same look and color and use that. What I mean by that is say she picks out tan leather seats, you get tan twill seats. But also do the little touch things that make a woman who looks at it get all gooey and think "ooooo it's home" Oh and when showing..... PIE in the oven.... don't mater if you buy one and just put it in the oven and let it burn a bit for the smell, or if you really make one..... don't konw why but it's always worked for me to sell a home.

Edited by jszucs

Good house tips. The wife is a realtor and knows her stuff. Knows what sells and what doesnt. So far since she has moved in with me we have, replaced front and rear french doors, replaced deck on front of house, painted entire house, light fixtures, built a 10x10 shed and am presently doing the kitcken. I already did the bath a few years ago, and then some new carpet for the bedrooms and living room. We refinanced a few months ago and the apraisal was about 60K more than the original purchase price.

Needless to say, there has been little work on either of the quests.lol And one of em is for the daughter who just got her license. So I want to finish getting that one back together so I can drive my own car again.lol