went and messed around on the dyno today.....

peak TQ 144. peak HP 125

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/9186640717_53a6300b46.jpg

it was a mustang dyno, with no RPM pick-up so it had to 'approximate' the RPM based on the vehicle speed, so the numbers are gonna be a bit off, and the dyno also put in an additional 13.4HP load to simulate wind resistance of 50mph

I did the pulls in 4th gear. did about 8 pulls all together.

about 80 - 85 degrees out, humid.

1986 widebody

14b turbo

no cats.

EBC

mostly stock engine, but with non-jet head and roller rockers/cam

for some reason I cannot boost more than 9 psi. there is some slop in my turbo shaft so i'm assuming the extra load might be preventing higher boost levels possibly. also, boost was building REALLY slowly. I actually have never had this specific motor over 9psi. I don't know why it won't boost higher, but my guess is the turbo. (is there anything else that would make a car boost slowly and sorta choke out?)

a few observations. I had a real noticable dip in power around 3200rpm, and could barely rev over 5k. I unplugged the maf and intake hose (my car is an 86), and did the dyno pull again.

the TQ curve was actually much much smoother with the MAF unplugged, but slightly less power, and reved to 5.5k. So i guess my maf just can't keep up with the demand or just isn't actuate enough ??

first time using a dyno, and bummed it was without an RPM lead and without A/F monitoring. but it was free so can't complain =)

also the printer was out of toner so i had to use markers. in case you wondered

I am sorry but I can't stop laughing. What kind of place did you go to that you actually had to hand draw your dyno graph? :lol:

Edit: Nvm saw you mentioned it was free. In that case bust out the crayola 100 pack.

Edited by ColdScrip

Curious but does your car drive normal on the road? Rev fine and boost fine?

If so the dyno was probably starting the load too fast or braking too quickly. Something sounds like it was off. When we went to the little rock in Arkansas this year the same thing happened to phinko.

it drives mostly normal. there's always been an issue on throttle tip-in. and on the street it still wont boost past 9psi. I haven't verified if the wastegate is opening or if it's just literally not boosting enough for another reason.

I can't believe it only made 125hp I mean I know you said only 9 psi but still seems really low. I have a 14b at 17psi and it runs ok. I ran dead even with a 2.0 neon with a 20g at 8 psi his car would run high 13's low 14's. Just seems like something is up

for some reason I cannot boost more than 9 psi. there is some slop in my turbo shaft so i'm assuming the extra load might be preventing higher boost levels possibly. also, boost was building REALLY slowly. I actually have never had this specific motor over 9psi. I don't know why it won't boost higher, but my guess is the turbo. (is there anything else that would make a car boost slowly and sorta choke out?)<cp

ok bunch of things stop boost besides waste gate arm off

pluged exhaust

low ful volume,,causeing fuel pressure to drop off

foreign object in exh pipe

very low fuel pressure to start with

fuel bowel inside tank with a pluged fill tube , if only low boost under 3/4 tank

That cluster pains me every time I see it. Came from my '85 flatty after the guys I sold it to turned it into a LeMons monstrosity [and not the good kind]. I'm kicking myself for letting it go.

IT WAS THE WASTEGATE.

the actuator mount was a little bent and it was keeping the wastegate open just a little bit.

back to normal boost and spool times!

Woo-hoo, I helped! (Feeling good)

dang don't all run I was just pokeing fun

it wasn't his fault the shop took him and didn't come thru with all the info they should have

I'm sure hes alright. He had a free dyno run, fixed a wastegate issue, and won a coloring contest. In fact, I'm sure his dyno results are on the front of his refrigerator as we speak.