Motorcycle peeps here?

vbrad511

My nephew is looking to buy a bike. It'll be his first, I'm scared to death he'll get hurt, but it's not my choice. He's had me look at a couple different used bikes. Honda Nighthawk a week or so back. I didn't like a few things about it, and he wasn't keen on the overall style. He wants something with a little more "flash", in other words, a crotch-rocket. I'm doing my darndest to talk him into something that won't be as tempting to show off on.

Today we looked at a Triumph 600. Decent looking bike, rode fine, needs a front tire and a chain, but other than that it looked pretty sound. Any of you know much about the bike, or the brand? They a pain to work on? Parts hard to find? Expensive? I'd really rather see him on a Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki, but again, it's not my call.

Input? Problem areas? Things to look out for?

Everyone's partial to their own stuff but a bike I didn't own and was very impressed by was a CBR 600 f4. If you're looking for something rock-solid that holds its value very well this is one of those bikes. It is nice and light, easy to ride, still plenty quick but gets good mileage, etc.

Seems the most popular starter bike is a ninja 250, I owned one for a few years and loved it. It's one of the few bikes you can actually use all of the power and not get arrested, and it's so light and flickable that it out-maneuvers a lot of the 600s and up on the twisty backroads. It's nice being able to go through a corner at WOT and not think twice about it.

We've seen one 600 F4 for sale locally, but it'd been beat on hard. Ridden to death, had a paint job, needed a bunch of work...just not gonna buy somebody else's basket case. I LOVE the idea of a 250, but Mitch is 6'4" and may be too big for it. I really would rather see him on something small for a starter bike, just not sure he'll go for it.

How much does he weigh? I'm 6' tall and 190lbs, 32" inseam (yes, it matters for cockpit space). My first bike was an 85 Honda Interceptor VF700F. It was a great bike with a lot of power but it weighed a ton and a lot of the weight was up relatively high. Once it started tipping over it was VERY difficult to keep it from falling the rest of the way over so it was a bit of a pain during the learning process. The F4 (or a comparable bike) is nice because it's ~400lbs or a touch over so it's not a real worry for that kind of thing.

The other thing that's nice about the ~2000 bikes is that they have the same styling as the newer bikes but they don't kill you nearly as bad on the long rides. A lot of the brand new bikes have such thin seats and rider-forward positioning that your wrists have a lot of pressure and it isn't too comfortable. My next bike is going to be a '99 interceptor VFR800, sporty styling and super comfortable. It's got a bit more power than the 600, though, and is on the heavier side so it isn't really an ideal starter bike.

You can also look for a ninja 500. That would be an excellent compromise of sport bike styling, still nice and light but more powerful than the 250 and probably more well suited to someone who's 6'4" tall.

Here's some search results via your location:

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/search/mca?zoomToPosting=&query=ninja+500&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=&hasPic=1

Another decent starter bike is the ninja 650. My buddy Steve had one as his first bike and since upgraded to a CBR600RR. It was really nice and very comfortable, plenty of power but not as much as the inline 4s with the 600s as it was a big inline 2 cylinder. It had a bit more of a "naked bike" look to it versus a fully dressed sport bike.

Edited by polarisman14

Lots of good info there. I'd say he's 210 or so, solid muscle, playing basketball on a ride in Galesburg Illinois, so I'm sure he'll have the strength to hold or recover if something starts to tip. I really don't want him on an off-brand bike, and we'll keep looking if need be. I did just see a 250 Ninja locally that I'll go look at later today. He may be overbearing for a bike that small, but I;d rather him have a starter bike that's too small than one that's too big.

No input on the Triumph?

Triumphs are nice bikes but will be pricier to fix than a run-of-the-mill gsxr, ninja, cbr, etc. I agree, it definitely isn't about strength, but it's a hell of a lot less embarrassing having to worry about something trivial like dumping the bike at a stop light when you're trying to learn the basics. Speaking from experience, starting with a heavy bike and dropping it several times standing still just learning the basics and then giving that up for a ninja 250, the smaller the bike the easier it is to learn on. I was just concerned he may be a little cramped on the 250, that's why I suggested the 500.

I went out earlier today and rode a 2007 250 Ninja. Nice bike, VERY well kept, needs a set of tires. I was impressed enough with it I called my nephew and had him come to town and take a look and a ride. He loved it too. He's a little big for it, but just a little. It accelerates nicely, brakes evenly, and has enough power to get comfortably down the road without the fear of it getting away from you. This is probably the bike he'll be bringing home in the next day or so. This will make him a very good starter bike to get some experience on, and will be enough to tell him if he likes riding enough to upgrade next year, once he's got a feel for the roads and traffic. Thanks for all the tips. :)

The ninja 250 is a fantastic started bike. I weigh in at about 225 at 6 foot and was comfortable on it. lots of power for riding around on the street. If he does any long highway riding I'd invest in a new front sproket. one tooth smaller is all you need. Can't remember the brand of tires I had on it but they were "scooter" tires. Rated over 125 mph. perfect for that bike . Check out the owners forum. They have lots of info on there.

I've owned kawasakis, hondas and Harleys. Love Kawasakis...

Triumph have come a long way since the days of leaking crankcases and poor (Lucas) electical systems , they build quality and fast motorcycles these days with some great styling taken from their products of the 60's and 70's , another plus is a Triumph won't get you thrown out of a Harley meet :D . Triumphs are rated "cool' in those circles , it's a tough one man , so many great bikes especially from Japan on the used bike market , a modern Triumph i would think also is when " new " more of a "adult" buy meaning i would think it less likely to have been "beat on" or dropped . :) Edited by SOTTY

Yeah absolutely. The ninja you pick up provided you do will almost certainly have been dropped at some point in time. They hold their value VERY well though as they are appreciated widely as the perfect starter bike and also by experienced riders as fun track-day bikes. Mine was an 86, which had longer gearing than the newer models and I had slip-ons, pod filters and a jet kit on top of that. Its speed is comparable to a stock SQ in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Not breakneck speed, but if you wind it up it'll go just fine (mine had a 14k redline, starts to pull through the powerband at about 7-8k).

They are very easy to service and pretty bulletproof little engines.

Ninja 250 is the very best starter bike... He'll outgrow it in a year or two, but you'll sell it for exactly what you paid for it.

If he's on a basketball scholarship, the last thing you want is him riding a powerful bike...heck they may even have rules against it???

I didn't read much of the thread, so I may talk about something that has already been discussed........

I have been riding since I was 18. My first street bike was a ZX7R (750). From there, the bikes have only gotten faster. I height make a 600 too small for me. The biggest thing about riding a bike is the thing between your ears. You have to always know, the more you twist the throttle, the more the engine is going to pull. Really anybody can start out on any bike, once you get a feel for the clutch. I've seen girls start out on a Busa (1300) as their first bike. They just knew what to expect. I see more people riding 250's, 500's, and 650's. Those are great starter bikes, because you can push them hard, and never have to worry about them over powering you. The down side about those bikes are, after a few years, they are not that fun, and really slow compared to other bikes. I say that, because when you have a bike, you want to ride with others, who ride. And you will not be able to keep up. Then you are going to want to buy another bike. My advice, would be to get a 600. They are fast and the risk is not to hard to control. As far as up-keep, stay away from a bike with a carb. They are a PITA to maintain. And really effect the way the bike runs. The biggest issue with older bikes is carbs get gummed up from sitting over time. Hondas tend to be able to take the most beaten. Kaws and Yams are about equal. I, personally have had the worst luck with Suks. I've seen them come off the showroom floor, with issues. I know some that swear by them. Overall, all bikes are 90% the same. From there, it's all personal preference. All my bikes, except one, have been Kaws. That one was a Honda (RC-51). I got it because I wanted a V-twin.

My first bike is a 93 Kawasaki Ex500 and I still own it. I learned to ride on ATVs and dirt bikes and the EX was my first street bike. Very forgiving for the new user and still enough oomph in the motor to get you in trouble. The Triumph you were looking at, was that the TT 600? If so I was looking to upgrade into one a couple of years ago. Beware the early 2000-01 model years. The ECU fuel/spark mapping was very buggy and had alot of owner complaints. The 02-03 years have revised mapping. The handling was pretty good for the day from what I remember and it was only a poor seller because the Jap bikes had "better" styling. Edited by shogun121

If he has never ridden dirt bike or anything like that i would say he should start with a 250 for sure. My first street bike was 04 gsxr 600 and it was fast for sure and I was only 19 when i got bike fit me well I'm bout 6'2 190 and I had excellent control of the bike and wasn't all heavy feeling. I have ridden dirt bikes all my life so I had some experience and the why i didn't start with a 250. Good word of advice is always be ready for cars to pull out in front of you never assume they see you.

My first bike was a 73 Kawasaki triple 500, and the second was a 83 Nighthawk 600. Both were decent starter bikes. I looked at the 250 Ninjas too, but as a bigger guy, they just didn't have enough oomph to em. Not that I was trying to go fast, but they just felt more like a toy and less like a real motorcycle to me. Plus I had a couple bigger buddies who got them, were sick of them quickly, and jumped up to bigger bikes within months, if not weeks. If he was a smaller dude, I'd probably say Ninja 250 all day long, but as a bigger dude, he may be counting the days til he can sell it halfway thru his first summer riding. He might be better off staring with a 600, maybe just a cruiser so he's not tempted to do some crazy sportbike type stuff. There's also some "entry level" sportbikes that were made back in the day, that would give him the look and a little performance, but still keep him out of trouble at first.. Something like the Suzuki Katanas.

Those Triumph sportbikes are definitely a lot nicer and more reliable than they were back in the day, or even just a handful of years ago, but I think they still fall behind the Jap bikes for engineering and reliability. He'd probably be able to find a Jap bike that will be more reliable, as well as cheaper to own and insure, that he will like better than the Triumph.

The last bike I had was a 97 GSXR 750. I've pretty much regretted selling it every day since it sold. I've actually been looking at the local listings for another one, but haven't found the right deal yet.

Edited by Burton

Ok so cross the Tri's off your list. If it's older (cheap) it's got problems and parts are impossible to find and when you do find them they take 3 weeks to ship and cost 50 60 bucks a pop from some foren country to ship.

If it's a new one, they are great bikes but a bit to fast and a bit to pricy for a starter bike.

As for the 250.... everyone thinks they are great starter bikes.... and while that may somewhat be true. And the no power and 100 MPH or so top speeds are a nice peice of mind. That being said it sucks when 3 months down the road he's out grown it and tossed almost the same amount of money at that as he would for a 500 600 bike.

Crotch rockets are NOT learning bikes, and will also make the test a royal PITA to take on. They suck at slow, especialy slow and having to turn around stuff. They are also very pricy to fix for little stupid cosmetic stuff like plastic body panels mirrors ECT Just something to keep in mind. They are also more unforgiving, and most have the stopping power to flip it easy.

I would find a "cheep" true learner bike. Say like an older kawi suzu honda cruzer type. This will be way cheaper, will let him not worry about laying it donw ect. He can also figure out what he really likes, and wants and then have some time to search around and gain some skill for a big boy bike.

Those Triumph sportbikes are definitely a lot nicer and more reliable than they were back in the day, or even just a handful of years ago, but I think they still fall behind the Jap bikes for engineering and reliability. He'd probably be able to find a Jap bike that will be more reliable, as well as cheaper to own and insure, that he will like better than the Triumph.

The newer Tris are super reliable say like 2006 and up. Way better then the other jap stuff just in the shaft drive alone. But they are very pricy, and maintance is very pricy and there picky about it too. The other jap stuff, just doing the basics will keep it running till a rebuild is in order (so like 15,000 miles)

The last bike I had was a 97 GSXR 750. I've pretty much regretted selling it every day since it sold. I've actually been looking at the local listings for another one, but haven't found the right deal yet.

This coming from the guy that got a S-Class Benz for paintwork and some baseball cards...lol :P

Picked up the 250 tonight. Rides nicely. Not near enough power for me, but it'll do to get him started. He's already taken the state-sponsored safety course and gotten his license, so now it's just a matter of getting tags and insurance and having tires put on it. I'd imagine next year he'll be in the market for something bigger.

They are great bikes to learn on and you will get you money out of it when he decides to sell and get something else.

ninja 250's have great resale value