these cars are nightmares.

patra_is_here

the newbie troubleshooting is really depressing, the amount of implied neglect these cars have received over the years saddens me, and they get passed on to first time owners. heck, even my car was a basketcase when I got it but it was at least driveable.

it's been 7 years and it's still got random issues. now it's mostly trying to fix all the rust thats taken hold. wiper area is rotted. firewall has rot. under the side wings is pretty bad. I just spent the day stripping the rear quarter. someone had 'repaired' the car once, lots of bondo =(

It's amazing there's still as many of these cars on the road as there is, we are definitely dedicated! I haven't given up after 7 long years and I'm not about to let this car go because of some rust.

anyhow, thats my rant. just frustrated sometimes with this car.

• Like 1

And yet, I bet waaay better ones have ended up at the junkyard for something as a bad headgasket or even less.

I know I saw one near me that just so clean, sitting on my neighbors lawn. One day it was gone. Off to pick your part. I could not believe it.

They are not as bad as people make them out to be. They are just getting old and parts that you would not normally think need replacing, should be replaced.

i feel like i've replaced/rebuilt so many things in the span of less than 50K miles

engine

trans

clutch

front subframe

control arms

tie rod

rear arm bushings

torque tube

axle boots

at least 20 tires

injectors

maf

engine mounts

oil cooler lines

PS lines

turbo

clutch slave

master cyl

ebrake cables

shocks/coilovers

alternator

radiator

PS pump

Edited by patra_is_here

Just think of all the fun your having......You have your challenge of the day...everyday! Too bad with the rust though.....that's tough work to fix. I've had my quest going into 4 yrs now and have driven it poorly once, a very short distance. I've got it all together with a bunch of upgrades and now a new problem.....where it won't run....You know what they say....good things come to those that wait and I got a lot of waiting.....lots of upgrades to go and problems to fix.....love my car love my car.....lol.

Swore that after I finished my 87 fatty that I would never do another car project... Just stick to motorcycles.

Then I got married, and the wife fell in love with my 87 and now I have an 86 flatty (for her) that has the entire interior gutted due to rust all under the dash... I havnt even begun to change out parts on the 86. Oh and the other day when I took out my 87 the low fan wasnt working only the high was... dashboard out???

Oh the joys of a 25+ yr old car...

Indeed but likewise my love for these only expands. It's crazy because initially I wasn't even looking for one. But I came across mine on cl and there was no turning back. Now I want another one. :b Edited by StallionProject86

shelby i live right next to the ocean so the salt fog at night really tears in to parts, especially in areas that don't get a chance to dry out (under the wings).

also, I think i'm gonna have to pull the dash in order to fix the sheet metal around the windshield =(

well, at the my car still drives fine =)

I have owned my car for 21 years and when I was running it in stock form I never had an issue------once I blew it up and rebuilt the motor with all the goodies that's when all the issues started----but a little patience,service manuals and peeps on this site has got me rip roaring------just my input--these are finicky beasts and need to treated as such----

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

Yeah I feel your pain. Been issue after issue for me too. Thought I had it all going, now redoing ECU and going another rout.

Was really feeling good, thinking I could start saving up for new paint and then BLAM, dash lights went out while driving. Tried 3 dimmer switched and verified fuse was good, so I'm tearing the whole car apart to find the gremlin....argh.

Good thing I've got a Utah car that has [unintentionally] been garaged for the last 5 years.

Dave-O, good to see ya posting. Wondered if you dissappeared for good. Coming to Mesquite in Sept?

check all swt bulbs , could just be a couple bad bulbs

and as for that fuse,, don't go on the fuise being good,, tighten up the terminals that hold the fuse ,more then 1/2 the time it's the terminal loose not a bad fuse

Dave-O, good to see ya posting. Wondered if you dissappeared for good. Coming to Mesquite in Sept?

I'm going to try to make it out. Even if I do, it won't be in the Starion this time around, just too much needed with such a tight deadline.