Mysterious Canister

mechengrkj

I found this canister under the airbox and have no idea what it is or what should be connected to the nipples. I'm guessing the two smaller ones are for vacuum but I don't know where they should be connected. Any help? Is this the Overfill Limiter on Page 14-37 in the FSM?

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/mechengrkj/2013-05-29191848_zpsde8fd79e.jpg

Edited by kylejones

That's the charcoal can, part of the evap system. if you remove it, you'll smell gas vapor in your garage. You may fail inspection without it.

I took it out because it's ugly and in the way of my intercooler piping.

Edited by tux

That's the charcoal can, part of the evap system. if you remove it, you'll smell gas vapor in your garage. You may fail inspection without it.

I took it out because it's ugly and in the way of my intercooler piping.

Good to know. Any ideas what connects to it on those open ports?

I think you are talking about the secondary air cleaner in regards to the downpipe question, not the egr.

Also those systems are all separate.

Right but the purge valve vacuum lines tee into the EGR vacuum lines. That's why I ask.

• 1 year later...
The charcoal canister hooks into the termovalve mounted near the egr on the intake manifold (close to the CTS). If you don't have an EGR you might not have a thermovalve either. If you don't just cap everything off.

Large port goes to turbo intake pipe. Vacuum port on cap goes to the egr port on the TB. The other port is before the TB. No need for anything else. The other controls just prevent it from purging when the engine is cold. Not really a problem.

if you were to follow the hose back it goes to fire wall by the white check valves for vac line

near the 2 round rubber covered solenoids there is a metal check valve basically a roll over

check valve mounted to the fire wall. it then goes to the gas tank vent system.

in the pic below it is right below the wiper motor 4 wire connector.

you can see the hose going to it but the check valve is blocked by the strut brace bracket.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/starquestJOE/P4070093.jpg

The charcoal canister hooks into the termovalve mounted near the egr on the intake manifold (close to the CTS). If you don't have an EGR you might not have a thermovalve either. If you don't just cap everything off.

^This. I removed all my emissions crap except for the vapor canister for the fuel odor reason. I ran both lines to the thermo valve on the front of the intake manifold.