Using other brands of front spindles???

mistapickles

I have a 2011 Z06 here at the shop and pretty much I'm going to swap everything over to a Starion shell. The rear end is pretty much knocked off so I'll have to find another diff/tranny thing to swap in but I have a complete front clip and engine to swap in until I find the rear. I think that'll get me on track car level pretty much in a hurry. I'm going to have to widen the fenders up, the front end on the Vette is WIDE...

I have to wait a while long before I can start measuring out things, we have a couple more weeks before we can lien sale it to the shop. It looks like the frame rail widths are the same though. LS7 with 505 na horsepower... I'm just wondering about the transaxle, is it fubar??? in which case I'd be spending more on it than the entire car, who am I kidding, it would be more than both cars together.

Sounds like a fun build...I like where you are headed. FYI there is an 87 B71 car around here in Charlotte NC that is a turbo'd LS1, making close to 700ish at the rear tires. From what I hear, he runs a Dodge Viper rear diff, since he grenaded the 87 stock 4 bolt setup. Maybe something to look into if you cant source what you need to complete the Vette swap. Good luck and keep us posted on where you take this project.

BC_99

that would be pretty crazy. you might as well just cut off the entire SQ front clip at that point and graft the corvette front unibody chassis to the SQ frame.

Might as well just make it a tube front chassy. My guess is the vet is going to be allot of alum???? up front? And while it's great for strenght and weight it's not always the easiest to "add in" in cases a whole continues peice is made and or the bi metal reaction between alum and other metals. It can be a pain

i got a say i'm very please'd with you boys behavior :)

Shelby, us boys were just rough housin', nothing wrong with that, boys will be boys....

Might as well just make it a tube front chassy. My guess is the vet is going to be allot of alum???? up front? And while it's great for strenght and weight it's not always the easiest to "add in" in cases a whole continues peice is made and or the bi metal reaction between alum and other metals. It can be a pain

It's going to be a track car.... I imagine there will be lots of tube chassis in it. and there's a lot of aluminum up front and out back. Is the reaction going to happen between my tube chassis and the aluminum? If I get the tube chassis powder coated will that make a difference?

Sounds like a fun build...I like where you are headed. FYI there is an 87 B71 car around here in Charlotte NC that is a turbo'd LS1, making close to 700ish at the rear tires. From what I hear, he runs a Dodge Viper rear diff, since he grenaded the 87 stock 4 bolt setup. Maybe something to look into if you cant source what you need to complete the Vette swap. Good luck and keep us posted on where you take this project.

BC_99

The Vette transaxle balances out the weight of the car, I think I'm going to stick with their idea, no need to reinvent the wheel...

O I though the plan was to swap this to a quest? not rebuild the vet. No I was thinking tubing the front of the quest, and there is no alum in the frame rails on the quest. Just thinking about it form the stand point of it would be easier to build a tube from end, then to graft a front end from something else on.

As far as the bimetal reaction, think you only have to worry on metal to metal with that..... IE like if you were to welding the 2 peices together

O I though the plan was to swap this to a quest? not rebuild the vet. No I was thinking tubing the front of the quest, and there is no alum in the frame rails on the quest. Just thinking about it form the stand point of it would be easier to build a tube from end, then to graft a front end from something else on.

As far as the bimetal reaction, think you only have to worry on metal to metal with that..... IE like if you were to welding the 2 peices together

I am swapping this to a starquest, I'm going to use the front and rear suspension from a vette by making brackets on my starquest to mount them.

I am swapping this to a starquest, I'm going to use the front and rear suspension from a vette by making brackets on my starquest to mount them.

Wern't you the same person who dosn't want to use a BBK because of the brackets? now you want the whole suspension on brackets? again that's going to be a bunch of work, for something that was designed for a totally diffrent car, diffrent weight, diffrent height, angle, aero ECT.... and it's still not fixing what we have a problem with... IE stearing parts.

Wern't you the same person who dosn't want to use a BBK because of the brackets? now you want the whole suspension on brackets? again that's going to be a bunch of work, for something that was designed for a totally diffrent car, diffrent weight, diffrent height, angle, aero ECT.... and it's still not fixing what we have a problem with... IE stearing parts.

ahttt ahttt ahhttt, I'm making these brackets and it won't be some 6 gauge mild steel plate Wilwood is betting my life on....

I looked at the Civette and that frame looked like a negligent manslaughter case waiting to happen for any passenger riding in it. I have a guy out here that does CNC tube bending... we'll see what my brackets will have to be like to actually handle racing.

ahttt ahttt ahhttt, I'm making these brackets and it won't be some 6 gauge mild steel plate Wilwood is betting my life on....

I looked at the Civette and that frame looked like a negligent manslaughter case waiting to happen for any passenger riding in it. I have a guy out here that does CNC tube bending... we'll see what my brackets will have to be like to actually handle racing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but first the brackets are not made by willwood. I would guess the company / sole propriator making them has more to loose then you. Id be willing to bet they tested them. Also lots of other companies make brackets for BBK and they are just as thick as that kit.

Next OK fine you make brackets and do mount that suspension on the quest.... It's still not made for the quest, the angles are wrong, they weight is wrong, the way it interfaces with the frame is wrong.... where is the gain here? You would need to take that suspension and modify it to the quest's dynamics to get a real gain.

Also isn't the new vets suspension the magneticly contorled? You going to add all that stuff in too? Just swaping in vet suspension will not give the performace. It might even perform worse then the quest if not matched correctly. Would suck to do all this work and get little to no gain let alone make it worse... you konw?

I'm swapping the entire thing over, wire harness, abs, brakes, suspension (everything), engine, computer....everything. The only thing I'm wondering about is the wheel base, making that long tail torque tube shorter or longer along with all the shift linkage... I have all the frame specs for the vette on my insurance estimating program, that's all on an autocad program. So the only thing I'd be dealing with is how the car will perform with a wheel base and weight balance difference.

Then I would say go for it. That is going to be allot of work..... will be an impressive improvement. So this leads to my next question? Why not start out with a vet? Even a cheep used 80's one and swapping parts over.

I have access to this z06 vette, if you're going to go...go big. If I had a ZR1 vette in here wrecked I would use it... lol, naw, I'd fix it but I have access to the z06 so I'm going to use it, probably less that $2000 in storage fees.

well lots of luck and have fun , the rest of you guys ,,it's his car and if he wants to do what ever to it,, thats up to him,,

my only question is if you want a vett so bad why not fix the z06 and be done

any way " get er done ;) "