Catch Cans - Non Honda Civic Style

Getting closer to having a running conquest everyday, and am thinking about upgrading the intercooler and piping along with the new engine going in. there isnt much point if unfiltered pos. crankcase gases caked in oil are still being sucked through the intake system. (just started cleaning 17 million miles of intake tracts on my 300zx that was caked in gunky oily nonsense)

been reading a bit on catch cans lately and it sounds like there's no reason not to, questions are:

-what brand(s) are known to be worthwhile but also reasonably priced?

-how do you have yours set up? just run a Tee connector from the pcv valve on valve cover to the vent on the back of the valve cover - and run that to the catch, with the other to the nip in the middle of the intake mani?

not sure if that makes sense, would have to run a pcv one way valve on the vacuum source to prevent boosting the crankcase

is there a vacuum source that is set for vac only and not boost that could be used for this? or could one just put a 1way check valve inline with the catch vac

thanks

Aaron

Edited by Squrlsquash

Stock setup works good. You can replace the stock can/lone with something different. Example http://www.dsmtuners...c-catchcan.html . You don't have to worry about boost on the catch can side because it uses the turbo intake pipe with is the source for the turbo and not the pressure side...so as the turbo boosts it make harder and harder vacuum and pulls vacuum on the crankcase. Stock pictures in here http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_nav.htmlhttp://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_nav.html Edited by JohnnyWadd

I've played around with a few Ebay catch cans. The problem with those is that they don't usually have any filter in them and the inlet/outlet isn't big enough. I have also modified an Ebay can with larger ports and put a filter in it. A cheap foam filter element does the trick. Incoming air needs to be routed below the element and the outlet pulls vacuum from the other side of the filter. A catch can NEEDS some kind of filter to catch the oil vapor and drop it to the bottom of the can. Otherwise that oil vapor goes straight into your intake.Some aftermarket or DIY cans do seem to work but I keep going back to the stock setup. It's my opinion that the stock setup works just fine for stock to mild setups. The problem is when you up the boost and then have more blowby than can be easily removed by the stock setup. This can cause random oil leaks, particularly from around the valve cover.

The stock vacuum hookup on the intake pipe between the air filter and the turbo is the best place to draw a vacuum from. It will always be under vacuum and increase when the turbo spools like you need. You also won't find another good place to put a large enough vacuum port.

There are threads around here dealing with this situation with how others have taken care of it. Since a lot of us modded guys have the turbo oil drain going to the pan, the stock oil return port is a good place to connect a second catch can. I wouldn't delete the PCV valve btw.

Edited by psu_Crash

ok manifold vac would make more sense than ported for an aftermarket catch can vac source

by stock setup, do you mean the charcoal canister? how is the canister supposed to work, all ive found is a single vac line attached to it

and my car has a swapped intake, from a slightly newer mitsu i believe, big pod filter with the maf on the flat bit at the back, would have to drill a hole in the tube and run a hose to the vac side of an aftermarket catch can, and run the pickup side to the pcv valve on the valve cover? what about the vent on the back of the valve cover?

if the catch can only gets vac from the turbo inlet, then it wouldent matter if i ran the pcv and vent to the intake side of the catch right?

thanks

Aaron

The charcoal can is a whole separate system.

No you want vacuum only , no boost , the manifold is gonna have boost , so don't use the manifold for your suction source

by stock setup, do you mean the charcoal canister? how is the canister supposed to work, all ive found is a single vac line attached to it

No that's a whole different system. And you can easily add a port to your intake tube with these....http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Category/Silicone-Hose-Fittings/Vibrant-Hard-Mount-Vacuum-Line-Fitting

Edited by JohnnyWadd

and you said - "You can replace the stock can"

not sure what you meant

You where saying you want something different (non Honda civic) right? Shoot I don't even know if you have a stock one right now. Need one? I have on for sale with all the lines. I say stick with the stock pcv valve setup too. It works good.

oh right, no i dont have one but everywhere i look i see chinese brand ones that dont really do much and arent installed correctly (civic style)

right now the pcv (front of valve cover?) is connected to vac hose nip in the middle of the intake mani

and the vent (back of the valve cover?) just has a breather on it

i know what stock is, but starions didnt come with a stock/oem catch can, did they?

not sure what youre on about

hah

Well ya they did so that's what I am on about. Look at some pictures of the car under hood or scope out a service manual and you'd know what i'm "on about" My bad yo I approached this thread with the assumption you had some knowledge of the whole catch can issue. I guess we need to start from the basics.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

my car has a different intake on it, and some other modifications - never seen a stock engine bay

only ever seen one other starion, never seen a stock engine bay

my knowledge of this issue is based on my car which has been modified by many owners over the years and no longer has a catch can :/

new to starquests - not to cars

Thanks

Edited by Squrlsquash

Catch Cans - Non Honda Civic Style

Started by Squrlsquash, Yesterday, 02:46 AM

Honda civic don't come with catch can, starions do. Therefore I recommended a stock starion conquest setup also know as oil separator. I don't know what else to say except look at the service manual, you asked me what I meant by "stock" then say you already knew what it meant. al those questions in your opening post made it sound like you wanted a aftermarket setup. Your not new to cars? Well news to you the Honda civic does not come with a catch can. So maybe you are new to cars. Your "on about" comment was like what the heck to me I was just trying to help you. I was not aware that you lacked a clue about stock components. I posted the link to the service manual for you to check out. Actually most of the questions in you opening post sound like you are new to cars. http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/cjfranger/Starquest/album_pic-1.jpg Thats the stock (oem cane that way from the factory) Oil Seperator

Edited by JohnnyWadd

not trying to be snarky or ungrateful - never had a stock air can, just had a capped off metal hose off the oil pan

didnt realize i was missing the stock setup or that the stock setup had the oil separator setup there - i see what youre talking about in the picture

you suggest staying with that setup vs. an aftermarket catch can correct? but in theory they do the same job, correct?

will admit this is my first turbo car, none in the past have had anything to do with catch cans - just started reading up on them

thanks

so - without the stock can, the best option is to run two catch cans?

one on the oil separator tube on the oil pan

and another on the valve cover openings?

both with vac sources between the airbox and the turbo

just checking that ive got what you mean

possible to run them both through one catch can?

now back to question about brands

i see mishimoto cans for 115ish and lots of other brands ive never heard of for 50 - 75 and whatnot --- have any brands stood out to any of you, or just work and don't cost a fortune

thanks

Aaron

p.s what i meant by honda civic style is something that looks shiny + cool but doesnt really function

not professing to know everything about everything

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag24/Squrlsquash/a431d2ac-4035-479f-9a54-e6dbe0c028ef_zps949473b9.jpg

to clarify for my own sake ... in the picture, number 1 is a pcv valve, that will only let air flow out of the valve cover, correct?

and number 2 is a vent?

do i want both connected to a catch can? or do i want to leave 2 venting

thanks

Aaron

Edited by Squrlsquash

what i figured, trying to figure out what people mean by different setups vs. stock - when i have a modified setup to begin with

does the other end go to #1, #2, or the unicorn - [ specifics > vague generic statements ]

if connected to the pcv (#1) the vent would just be there to have a cycle effect of air from one side to the other? how does pressure still build to open pcv with a vent hooked to anything?

"Port on the back of the valve cover goes to the catch can. The breather doesn't belong there." -tux

so catch to #2, with #1 hooked to tb vac as in pic top of page? sounds sensible

here's where my brain is at now, (after several hours of non-car related [mind numbing] studying)

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag24/Squrlsquash/catchcansetup_zps83b6c9df.png

note the extensive to-scale artwork

thanks

not sure whats over complicating the idea, seemed simple to begin with - therefore i shall once and for all solve this problem using the internet - and microsoft paint

Edited by Squrlsquash