Has anyone else had as much trouble as I have had recently trying to find a set of tires for their car? I shopped them last month and they were not overly easy to find but findable non the less. Budget didnt allow for the purchase last month so I hade to wait until this month. Now they are non existant. I have the performance package 225/50/16 front and 245/45/16 rear. I cannot find the rears anywhere!!! Anyone know where I can find them or a recomended alternative that will keep the car looking factory or better? Thanks in advance.

Try this link,

Try here, www.google.com/shopping

Ebay doesn't seem to have a lot either.

You're right, there is almost nothing available. I haven't purchased these sizes for about 8 years. Also I would recommend 225/45/16 for the fronts if you can find them I have 225/50/16 on the front of my car and hate how they look.

Shawn

I was able to find a pair of Federal SS 595's in the 255/50 size from OnlineTires.com for a good price. And they were one of the only places that had those in stock at the time. Look pretty good on the 9" SHP rears I mounted them on, and they have a slightly wider tread with an integrated lip protector which was a plus!

Primewell PZ900s still come in 245/45/16. Yeah, I know, cheap Chinese "High Performance" summer tires. I've endurance raced on them and they are decent. Not sure how they would be on the street where we care about things like road noise and expect a pair of tires to last more than a day ;)

While we are on the subject. Does anyone here run the same size front and back for rotating purposes? If so, does it look right and does the car ride and drive proper with this set up? Thanks.

Front 215 45 16 KUMHO ECSTA XS on Non-SHP front

Rear 265 45 16 KUMHO ECSTA XS on SHP rear.

The XS is a great street tire. A bit lacking in the rain as they get worn, but probably one of the best choices for performance street rubber on the SHP rear rims. Basicly, it was Kumhos bid at a ST autocross tire. I ran them for 3 years on my autocross car and really like them. Compared to other simular tires, they were lacking a bit on sidewall when they were released. Now they a basicly sold as a very very high performance street tire. But they stand out for offering a 265 on a 16 rim. This is big when you are looking at putting wider rubber on 80's cars; Porsche and Vette guys love them. I also use them on my Lotus as well.

If I bought over again for the Conquest I would go a bit wider on the front.

They aren't too expensive either, but be warned they wear. With a good, tire friendly alignment and little abuse you can probably get 25-30K out of them. If you like take turns like a supercar they'll get you there.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/166650_190516387630786_7531258_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/162686_190516417630783_680029_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/172725_202259553123136_5590661_o.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/277475_254870641195360_581778_o.jpg

Edited by Cloud81918

Guys thanks for all the posts and advice. It was a treasure trove of info. Sux that most of us have to "settle" when it comes to buying tires becuase we work for a living lol :) but, I think I made a pretty good choice. Chime in with your opinions. I have been running Khumos on my wifes Nissan Murano for 5 years and they have been excellent tires. Until now I didnt know they made performance tires. So, that being said and averaging cost, wear, looks etc.,.. I went ahead and bought a set. I bought Khumo Ectsa ATS's and because the sizes were limited I went with 225/50/16 Front and 245/50/16 Rear as northstar recomended. I would have rather went with the set up Mr Pickles recmonded but the Khumos werent available in those sizes. If I had my choice and the money I would have serched to the ends of the earth for Continentals that would have worked. I won a set in 2008 at an autocross I won in Charlotte NC. I put them on my son's 36,000 original mile 91 RS Camaro V8 and he has since put 22K on the tires and the indicators are barely wore off it. They handle incredibly well. If you have the means I highly recomend them. When I get the Khumos mounted I'll post some pics for all to see. Thanks again fellas.

Certainly work for a living here. While flashy, the Lotus is only worth about 15.5K; So about as much as a new econobox.

XSs are pretty cheap to I think the rear 2 265s were less than $250 shipped. If money was no object you'd want a set of Toyo RA1. But those are 250+ a pop (after mounting an balancing) for the rear. But you truely can't get much stickier and be legal. XS are what I really call a street tire though and they don't break the bank.

The AST is a nice tire as well. Harder compound and it will last longer than an XS. Their tread pattern is also a lot nicer for water. But they do tend to turn geasy as the heat builds up and if I rmember they are directional, so rotating tires is a no-no. That said they aren't a bad budget, performance oriented tire.

Edited by Cloud81918

Cool, thanks. Yeah I noticed the Lotus. Esprit V8? I passed up a turbo 4 Esprit last year. Looked to be a Ferrari type red with very low miles for around $10K. They IMO are the best looking pre Y2K cars the Brittish made. The new astons are pretty snazzy but Phew!, what a price tag. Would like to see some more pics of that Lotus though ;) Throw some up if you get a chance.

• 1 month later...