SQ Rear End

infamos

Is the 88/89 rear end stronger than the 87 rear end?

I'm building an SQ and wanted to know if the 88/89 rear end is stronger before I assume it is and swap setups. I was told by a friend but he wasn't 100% sure.

The motor will be pushing 550 whp.

Thanks...

Yeah, the 88/89 rear end are stronger. Not sure if it's just the stronger 6 bolt axles, or if there's stronger stuff in the rear end itself, but that setup is deffinately stronger. 6 bolt axles will only fit in the 88/89 rear end. The 87 and earlier rear ends will only accept 4 bolt axles.

My 88 has somewhere around 150k+, and my axles have been clicking since 2004, the rear has never been touched, but I did have to replace the torque tube because the splines were worn to a ^ shape. Depending on what your doing with it they will last a decently long time. Hard launching and high hp will break them but the rears are super strong. Over 500 whp and you should start stocking up on axles. I been horribly abusing my car with less than 400hp for a pretty long time, and I know my days are numbered.

Good information. I will keep the 88 rear end and possibly see if we can reinforce a set for down the road. Thanks...

I would quit worrying about the rear and really put a plan in motion for trans. I stocked up 2 extras and once I break 2 I'm going 6 speed.

What six speed are you going with?

I'm in the process of swapping out parts and one car (87) has fresh body work and paint and the other is rusted (88) but has a good and fast motor and SHP parts. I want to put all the good stuff off the 88 and put on the 87.

T56 is about the only choice I think we have.... I guess that or some other full custom setup. I happen to have the luxury of living about 40 min drive from Bill Hitcher who I hope will still be making the custom bell housing adptors. Might want to check out the transmision swaps forum here http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=37

And if your putting down 550 HP your going to want to run much better quality stuff then old warn out SHP suspension parts... but that's just me.

Edited by jszucs