Newbie with a gm mas and translator

JohnnyWadd

Thanks. I actually set them all to off and got the car to lean out.

So with the afr's looking close to what they should be (looking at everyone elses settings) after adjusting the translator...the car still runs crazy rich..

I am guessing its all the fuel from cylinder 1 and 4 as those seem to not be firing at all on those autolights...so i swapped back on the old bosch plugs...same thing...

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/1989%20conquest/th_video-2012-12-12-17-42-23.jpg

I am lost on how cylinder 1 and 4 dont seem to be firing on two different selts of plugs. I checked continuity with my ohm meter and the plug wires all have a good circuit. The tps is set.

Next up my brand new ngk 7031's are going in.

edit in. the old plugs must have been junk, bosch supers and autolights. ngk 7031's and no miss like in the above video.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Car is running good enough to drive down the street fairly smooth. 11.7 at idle. Still blows black smoke idles rough

Starts right up almost instantly.

Still have the issue where as soon as i plug in the black injector it idles rough. It wont drive down the road with both injectors firing. I tried letting the car idle on the black injector only and OMG it idles nice and smooth but afr's are super low.

I must be missing something simple. The car went from not having enough power to get up the driveway to running pretty smooth with just the new ngk 7031 plugs.

ugh just realized the green is secondary duh

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Now that you switched injector clips, retune the maft

I tried , i cant get to cruise speeds with out dying and i cant get it to run on both injectors. Runs way rich and definitly wont idle yet i need that secondary for boost but if i hook it up the car wont drive. I am trying to figure out why it using both injectors at once. The wired in new injector clips are right with the Y/B and Y/W for primary and Y/G and Y/LB for secondary. I can actually plug in just the primary injector and primary clip and cruise the street and good good driveability. So its definiflty running both injectors.

Triple checked for injector leaks jumping the pump and squeezing off the return. No drips at all.

Pulled ecu and its definitly a 88 or 89.

Could the maft make the injectors both fire like that?

Oh and i dont get a dim green led..

Edited by JohnnyWadd

More testing has revealed both injectors are powered at idle comfirned with a led light. Tested the harness from injectors clips to ecu and got no shorts between the two injector power leads. So ecu bad?

I find nothing about any of the settings on the MAFT being able to make both the injectors run...

check and make sure build is a 87 or newer, i think 87 ecu casing is the same as 86 and older, possible 86 internals?

jump your fuel pump tester connector with the OVCP off, and check the injectors, slowly pinch the return fuel like with pliers, and see if you have any leaks

also, google the part number on the pythons and see what size they are. i think they are the "reman" injectors summit sells for our car, like the python maf

double checked

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/1989%20conquest/th_2012-12-13185809.jpg

its a 88 89 :)

http://s1187.photobu...14-15-43-47.mp4

??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_nxIUChJF0

pulled the gm mas and slapped in my 1gmas from my other car and it runs good( well way better at least). weird issue though is it has to have both injectors connected or it dies (still using both injectors at idle) so i am leaning towards the ecu being bad maybe?

the tps and ics voltage is within specs, the cts gets to 300 ohms when the car is hot, the wires from injectors clips to ecu has good continuity and no shorts.

That power wire out from the MAFT to the gm mas makes the car die, so powering the mas make the car die. bad gm mas?

Edited by JohnnyWadd

the injector clips have got to be wired wrong, thats the only way lol

(also, if you have mechanical rockers, they need adjusted lol, if not, fix the exhaust leak)

EDIT-

camera quality sucks lol, when using the GM Maf-t, i cant see the colors, but Purple and white should NOT be wired into the car.

Edited by Skullzaflare

the injector clips have got to be wired wrong, thats the only way lol

(also, if you have mechanical rockers, they need adjusted lol, if not, fix the exhaust leak)

EDIT-

camera quality sucks lol, when using the GM Maf-t, i cant see the colors, but Purple and white should NOT be wired into the car.

Yes is has a cold exhaust leak. I will fix asap.

I double checked the colors of the leads and they are right, i even traced them back to ecu and yes the positive to primary is correct and the positive to secondary is correct. Purple is not connected...neither is white...yellow and black and pink to gm mas from maft (is correct per manual) but pink wire cause car to dies and no fuel at restart attempt

colors can be seen better here. but i am sure the wires are right. unless im just totally missing something. black, grey green, brown pink are from MAFT to car. yellow black pink from MAFT to GM MAS.

http://s1187.photobu...12-13170705.jpg

Edited by JohnnyWadd

do you have a picture of your jumper harness connected to car harness? i ask because, yo uknow the colors dont match up with factory harness rightt?

the factory plug on the harness is "hacked" just like when you plug it into a 1g mas...yes i did know that.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/1989%20conquest/th_2012-12-14211351.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/1989%20conquest/th_2012-12-14211327.jpg

Edited by JohnnyWadd

If u have a multimeter that can read hertz you can test the GMMAS ...warm up car...shut off car...black lead to negative on btry...red lead to signal wire on GMMAF(green in my case)...restart car and let idle a minute...watch what hertz are doing at idle(big..small or no fluctuations)that's ur base...rev it up to about 2500rpms and make sure hertz are climbing with rpm's..when u let off and return to idle you should see the same fluctuations you saw at start of test..your mas is different than mine but I see in the pic you gave of the mas installed has the same plug I have but yours is in the backround mounted to your struttower and looks like it has another harness from plug to mas where my plug is right at the mas...

Gig out

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/dmndstar87/DSC01167.jpg?t=1355576741

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

Update. Installed another 1988 1989 ecu and i still have the issue of the car idling only when both injectors are connected. Initially i thought this was a issue being caused by the GM MAF and Translator (wich i have yet to figure out why the car dies whith the pink power wire connected to the gm maf)

Simplify.

Seems like a few issues possible here, I'd put a stock MAS on it and see if it will run normally. If not, figure out whats wrong before installing any of the translator stuff. Once it's running stock, plug in the MAF and translator, select the correct setting for the MAF you have and zero the dials, and the car should start and run. If it does, you found the problem elsewhere and can start tuning it. If it doesn't, you'll have only the MAF and MAF-T to look at and that's a lot less troubleshooting with everything else eliminated as a possibility. Can ya tell I've done this already? ;)

BTW I have the 3.5" GM MAS and it doesn't look like the one in your image.

Simplify.

Seems like a few issues possible here, I'd put a stock MAS on it and see if it will run normally. If not, figure out whats wrong before installing any of the translator stuff. Once it's running stock, plug in the MAF and translator, select the correct setting for the MAF you have and zero the dials, and the car should start and run. If it does, you found the problem elsewhere and can start tuning it. If it doesn't, you'll have only the MAF and MAF-T to look at and that's a lot less troubleshooting with everything else eliminated as a possibility. Can ya tell I've done this already? ;)

I have moved on from the gm mas and installed a 1G MAS from my good running 88 (still having issues though)

http://www.starquest...topic=134751=

I HATE trying to fix the problem by swapping out parts. Using the manual and a multimeter i should be able to track this issue down with a 1gmas installed.

Edited by JohnnyWadd
  • Like 1

Simplify.

A 3.5 inch GM MAF will be detramental for your set up unless you have the correct Fuel flow and Air flow to support it.

Bill

A 3.5 inch GM MAF will be detramental for your set up unless you have the correct Fuel flow and Air flow to support it.

Bill

I still need to reinstal the gm maf and restart the troubleshooting. Im doing great with the 1gmas as of right now. The two injectors firing ar idle was being caused by a bad tps.

Bill

well assuming he adjusted the fuel correctly, it wouldnt cause less power, its just better flowing

Bill

well assuming he adjusted the fuel correctly, it wouldnt cause less power, its just better flowing

What does that mean? bigger exhaust or bigger injectors?