did I blow my head gasket

03CL55AMG

First off the car was running very good, at idel at mid and wot. I boosted it up to 20+ lbs and then noticed that it now was ideling funny felt like it was missing, but with any amount of throttle it was smooth...but still ideling as if it was missing, this was a few days ago. I now noticed that the valve cover breather tube that goes to the catch can is smoking a lot more than it did before this happened...i checked the oil and it looks normal, no gas leaks..everything seems good except the excessive smoke and the wierd idel. could this be my head gasket or could it be the rings...thanks for the help.

No smoke out back, I will run a compression check...a little skeeered that one cylinder is going to be a lot lower than the other three, would you be guessing that it may be rings versus the head gasket ?

No smoke out back, I will run a compression check...a little skeeered that one cylinder is going to be a lot lower than the other three, would you be guessing that it may be rings versus the head gasket ?

rings? why. how many miles on the car. you should include that when asking for help. it will help. still got jet valves? hydraulic lifters?

you boosted to 20psi on TBI huh. what turbo. any mods fuel and otherwise?

Edited by lionbull

Sorry lion, the car has 88k on the odometer as far as I know it still has jet valves( this is the original motor ), yes on the stock hydraulic lifters and I have 255 waboro new 950/1150 injectors ( with clips ), all new filters, rebuilt TB, aeromotive FPR( rising rate ) full 3" exhaust, 2.25 hard pipe kit, *DM intercooler (4" thick ) *DM oversized alum radiator, big 20G...yes I was running 20+ lbs. It is strange how it sounds different at idel but runs smooth even with some boost ( but not boosting it now ), just a guess when I mentioned rings..also I have an 88 ecu in the car, thanks for your help. Edited by 03CL55AMG

Sorry lion, the car has 88k on the odometer as far as I know it still has jet valves( this is the original motor ), yes on the stock hydraulic lifters and I have 255 waboro new 950/1150 injectors ( with clips ), all new filters, rebuilt TB, aeromotive FPR( rising rate ) full 3" exhaust, 2.25 hard pipe kit, *DM intercooler (4" thick ) *DM oversized alum radiator, big 20G...yes I was running 20+ lbs. It is strange how it sounds different at idel but runs smooth even with some boost ( but not boosting it now ), just a guess when I mentioned rings..also I have an 88 ecu in the car, thanks for your help.

YUUP

you need to do a compression test. ASAP

Thanks guys, I will do a compression check before I drive it again and that should tell the tale. If it is the head gasket, i guess that is pretty involved to do myself...although I am a pretty decent mechanic so I think it is somthing that I could handle, but if there are any tips that you could give me they would be appreicated. also what is the best head gasket to use, thanks. Edited by 03CL55AMG

If/when you pull the head you need to make sure the block deck and head surface are flat. A striaght edge with some feeler gauges will give you an idea. If not you should deck the block and/or shave the head. If things are relatively flat it's not a bad job at all. But I'm willing to bet your surfaces aren't perfectly flat so a machine shop may be in order.

As far as a gasket the Fel Pro 8770 PT is tried and true or the Ajusa is a nice option

Would you reccomend some ARP head studs for the head and thanks for the heads up on the head gasket, is there any other things that I should do as long as I have the head off ?

Do not shave the head!! Have the head straightened by a good knowledgible automotive machine shop if it is warped.

It might also be a good idea to have the valve guides replaced along with the valve seals as long as the head is in the machine shop. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Straight edge the block, make sure it's flat, same with the head surface. The biggest reason people pop HG's is because the mating surfaces aren't mating. An Ajusa HG and ARP studs will help for sure but it depends on the amount of boost are are planning running. Also, if the mating surfaces are correct, a good felpro gasket and stock bolts will be fine, again, there is no real cure for a bad surface.

Oh, BTW, DO NOT try and deck the block in the car. There are some people that swear by sand stones or belt sanders are whatever, don't do it. It's not worth it and if you have the head off anyway, to pull the block it's another couple nuts (not including the trans) but you get my point.

I appreciate the advise, and I know lance, I am trying to do this on a budget but I am thinking about just rebuilding the motor and putting in some forged pistons...I will run the compression test first, thanks.

My AFRs were mid 11s, I actually turned the boost up to 25lbs and had the AFRs at mid 11s as well...I also have a MAFT,so that helped to dial it in.It made 270 & 345 at 20 lbs and it definetly felt quit a bit stronger at 25lbs. the more I think about it, the more I am thinking rebuild, it has 88k now and some forged pistons and some fresh parts would seem in order. What would be a ballpark cost to, rebuild the motor with good parts, I understand this is just a ballpark, but a number may determine if I can do it or just the head gasket,thanks.

Ok, I got the compression test done and the cylinder closest to the front of the car ( is that # 1 ) was 130lbs...next going from front to back #2 65lbs...#3 95lbs...#4 130, so as suspected the head gasket is deceased. I will order some new gaskets and begin the work pretty soon.i Have decided to just do the head and accompaning gaskets and what ever machine work that is needed and just do that for now.

If you are going to run 25 pounds on a 20 G, I would definitely go with ARP studs and an ajusa hg. I would also have the block and head checked for straightness.

I'm running 21 pounds on the s16 G with studs and an ajusa head gasket and so far it runs perfect. AFR is 10.8 at wot. I did drop the timing off to 8 degrees. It slowed it down a tad but better safe and slower than broke. It's still quick. Zero detonation.