stainless steel braid lines

Big John

i have some stainless steel braid line that i am going to use on my engine swap and i need to cut it and put the an fittings on. well some say use a chisel to cut it that didnt work. i tried my 3" cutoff wheel that didnt work either. so what is the best way to cut stainless steel braid line so it wont fray. thanks john

Wrap it with electrical tape ( just the area you are cutting ). Not sure if it will work but worth a shot.

I think I read this somewhere but not 100% sure. good luck.

Wrap it with electrical tape ( just the area you are cutting ). Not sure if it will work but worth a shot.

I think I read this somewhere but not 100% sure. good luck.

I did this and used a dremel

Eh, I tried that. I failed at ss steel braided hose cutting.

HAH, ironic because I failed at using cut off wheels on braided hose. The chisel trick worked excelent for me. I used a junk cyl head for the aluminum base.

HAH, ironic because I failed at using cut off wheels on braided hose. The chisel trick worked excelent for me. I used a junk cyl head for the aluminum base.

I missed that step, aluminum base. I used a block of wood. FAIL!

The wood should work the same as aluminum, you just need something softer than the hose and chisel so it doesnt recoil back when you smack it, If I dont have the bolt cutter like snips handy I use the tape and cut off wheel method. It has never failed me yet.

BC_99

I "ALWAYS" use duct tape, & any of the above methods, but a new hack saw blade, or dremel disc seems to work the cleanest for me. Take your time wrap the tape tight & have @ it, it'll be fine. ;)

Wrap it before you tap it.

-Robert

WORD :P

The cutoff wheel method hasn't failed me either, I just wrap it on both sides of the cut (before I dig into it) so the braid has nowhere to go.

I usually chamfer the braids on the ends a little (on a grinder) to make sure they can't catch on the edge as you're inserting them into the fitting.

The chisel method sounds hokey, you got one shot, and it better be straight.

Zack K.