Just rebuilt PS pump. now no power steering. help!

SVT_Proto

I just rebuilt the PS pump today because the front seal was bad. everything wen smoothly and i got the pump back in the car and all hooked up. Put ATF fluid in it and started it up an no power steering. The belt and pulley are moving, the fluid level changes when i rev it, i even put it on jacks and cycled the steering wheel side to side for 5 min and still no dice. I need Help!

It's junk in the fluid (the old seal, o-ring bits) plugging up the pump orifices, happened to me too. The O'reilly's nearby had a rebuild in stock so I just used my newly rebuilt pump as a core, when I picked it up the guy told me there was no warranty for exactly that reason. It fixed my problem, easier than tearing it apart and carefully cleaning it.

It's junk in the fluid (the old seal, o-ring bits) plugging up the pump orifices, happened to me too. The O'reilly's nearby had a rebuild in stock so I just used my newly rebuilt pump as a core, when I picked it up the guy told me there was no warranty for exactly that reason. It fixed my problem, easier than tearing it apart and carefully cleaning it.

How much was the pump?mine leaks bad and not wanna mess with trying to rebuild for same reasons.

I cleaned the old parts of the pump with a ton of brake cleaner so i doubt there is blockage.

No i did not bleed the old air out of the lines of the steering box, how would i do this?

a new pump is around 130 and a rebuild kit is around 15 bux

No i did not bleed the old air out of the lines of the steering box, how would i do this?

Download the Factory Service Manual here: http://www.starquestgarage.com and go to the Steering section. It will show you how to bleed the system.

Bill

When you reassembled the pump - did you put the cartridge vanes in their correct position on the rotor as shown on FSM, page 19-34, Illustration 7?

Did you install the flow control valve in the correct orientation as shown on FSM page 19-33, Illustratiom 14?

Are you absolutely sure that none of the pump casing O-rings are not cut/crimped?

If not you won't generate any PS steering hydraulic pressure.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS - SVT_Proto - Reading your above replies, it appears to me like you tried to rebuild the PS pump W/O using the FSM and you screwed up. ;)

If you rebuilt the PS pump correctly,even with air in the HP line to the steering box, with the engine running, the front wheels will move before you vent the steering box. The PS pump is a positive displacement vaned pump and if you maintain the PS reservior fluid level (a net positive suction head) it WILL pump fluid through the PS system - provided that the pump is assembled correctly and there is no blockage in the lines.