Thinking of building an electric car. Need suggestions.

ucw458

I would want to start out with the lightest car possible. But I don't want something ugly and lame. But to make it the most efficient that may be exactly what I have to get. Any suggestions on cars to start out with? I would do a SQ but they are heavy to start out with.

Build an electric SQ! You can shed at least 1200lbs. An SQ shell is cheap and will have much more appeal than something that looks like a box when its done.

these built one

Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

Yeah if I build one I want to do it on the cheap for now. Without all the extra electronics. Just a basic electric vehicle for work commutes. I can commute in my SQ but I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't put so many miles on it. Keep it as a weekend car.

an old hatchback my 94 civic hatch is light i think the title say 2100 lbs or maybe a a geo metro lol. alltho nissain hardbodies and old mazda trucks are light too and have batt room

One of these cars over : "festiva. metro, crx, miata."

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/bikkjaa/golf1rwd.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/bikkjaa/DSC_2615sized.jpg

This car is awesome... 450hp VR6 Turbo rear wheel drive converted

are you thinking AC or DC???? DC would be alot easier.... you could go with an old forklift controller like a sevkon or EV100..

or curtis,,,,,,,, its real easy too.......talk to bag o chips,,,,,,,, i bet he could get you something for free.........

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c260ff769

Yes it would be DC. The cart controls might not be a bad idea. That's assuming I could couple a few of them together. A car would need more amps to the motor. Probably more voltage too.

1 thing I don't understand is why the car companies can't put some kind of a generator on the wheels that charge the batteries while driving. I don't know enough to know if that is possible or not.

Good luck with it.

Yes it would be DC. The cart controls might not be a bad idea. That's assuming I could couple a few of them together. A car would need more amps to the motor. Probably more voltage too.

Amps are all about the battery at that point. Li-Po battery setups are super lightespecially Hawker AeroBatteries, They can deliver well over 1000amps! And as far as a controller goes, the GE EV100 is the most available system for cheap but There are other controllers for HP applications like Zilla Z2K.

1 thing I don't understand is why the car companies can't put some kind of a generator on the wheels that charge the batteries while driving. I don't know enough to know if that is possible or not.

Good luck with it.

They do, It's called regenerative braking, during the braking process the motor controller goes into over-run and uses the wheels' rotation to create voltage as the vehicle comes to stop. Kinda like The new crown forklifts with regenerative lowering. At full lower, the fluid in the lift cylinders back flows through the hydraulic pump spinning it backwards turning it into a hydraulic generator.

Good luck with it.

Because you want it to move. If you put generators big enough to make power it would take say X to power vehicle and Y to power generators so X+Y would be twice the draw. Now to suck the power back when breaking (that's what they do now) works but you can't just run them all the time or the power your using will be going right into power making and you won't go anywhere.

KP60 Toyota starlet., 1600 lbs fully dressed. Less stripped down. Hatchback and RWD.

Kane

Call me weird but I like how those cars look in full rally trim. That would be a good choice but I would have to make it fast. >:)