Muffler suggestions

Ono

X2 on this one. I had an Aero chamber for a few months on a 3 inch system. You literally could hear me coming from a mile away if you were outside of my house (out in the boonies, yo)

I put a magnaflow on it, and then could have conversations in the car again. A friend told it was a nice change cause my car didnt sound like a tank anymore haha.

Ive been running a no-name ebay muffler on my car for about a year now, on a 2.5 inch system. I think it sounds great, looks pretty decent, and only cost me like 30 bucks shipped.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r80/fijiphil/2011-08-23_16-26-55_162.jpg

I have the CF-wrapped canister version of this same Ebay muffler...Mine is 3" in and 5" out I believe. Sounds great paired with the full 3" star-orion exhaust. I removed the test pipe (where the factory cat would be) and grafted a 12"x3" Vibrant resonator in its place. Looks like a high flow cat and takes a bit more raspiness out of it...Sounds great.

And if you're looking for lack of backpressure look no further, both the resonator and muffler at the back just have perforated core with SS mesh inside of it. Some glass-packs have protrusions that stick into the exhaust and increase turbulence and backpressure so look out for that if that's what you end up going with.

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t324/polarisman14/StarQuest/DSCF0320.jpg

I have no muffler at all on my '86. It has both cats, but at least one is gutted. I can't remember which. I believe it's stock pipe until after the second cat. Then, I think it's 2.5. When my Apex, or whatever it was called, rusted up, I was in a pinch, and needed to drive to Pennsylvania that day, so I just had a garage bend me up a piece of straight pipe. I like how it sounds. Definitely not ricey. My other '86 has full factory exhaust, and it's as quiet as a Town Car.

• 1 year later...
Been looking at the Version 2 Dynomax VT muffler. Version 2 doesnt have the clanking noise like the first design. Currently have a straight thru oval canister on it now and the highway drone is nuts, your ears will hum after 70 miles when you get out the car. Anything long distance and you might as well use earplugs. Dynomax VT is suppose to eliminate the highway and idle drone when the internal spring operated valve closes a bit....

Ok, i just checked out the varex mufflers technology mentioned. I like them alot. I had consideded building something like this, just never taken the time to do it. I think one of these will be my next muffler as i have never found any muffler that i really liked.

I'm thinking of getting this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-3-Dual-Slant-Tip-DTM-3-Inlet-Black-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Muffler-/390816052884?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afe73b694&vxp=mtr

It's a straight through glasspack design.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/o1cAAOxydlFSzF7z/$_57.JPG

I personally love the way mine sounds, it's a straight all the way to a glasspack with resonating tips. The only thing I don't have that I wish I had is the turbodiesel whistle sound you get at idle with a straight pipe.

It's loud, but only about half as loud as my brother's 5.0 Explorer with straights.

Edited by Aman

a good quality resonator will work fine but the sound will change over time , as the f-glass chambers plug up with soot the tone will change over 3-4 years , but it's not overly loud and has a good sound esp when new

None, none is good. Ahah. I don't run a muffler and I don't find it loud? I have a magnaflow hf cat and that's all. Maybe it's because the spooling is so loud lol. But if anything I'm with Borla...yeah they are a little more but like they say you get what you pay for.

I have 3inch pipe all the way from a t3 turbo with a 18" resonator at the end (Vibrant 1795) its a nice low tone but its still loud but its just a low tone so its not as bad as when I had a 3inch side pipe that made my ears ring after a 15minute drive