Datsun info

dmyers151

This afternoon a family friend offered me the chance to purchase his 1970 Datsun Fairlady Z, in RHD trim. I believe it's a foreign spec car, as RHD has never been available in the US to my knowledge. I've not seen it yet, or been given a price, all I know at the moment is:

- It's yellow (original) with black interior

- Very little to no rust

- Fender mirrors

- Right hand drive

- Manual transmission

- Been stored indoors since around 1990

- Performed flawlessly at time of storage

- Needs some chassis harness mending

It's nearly impossible for me to gauge value, as I can't seem to find any like it for sale. Just wondering if anyone here is hip to these cars and can point me in the direction of a reliable forum or source of information, or perhaps post some info you may have yourself.

I know a lot of Z and datsun guys up here... they're basically the equivalent to SQ guys, cheap butts!! Except their cars are OVERPRICED rust buckets LOL.

Check out www.hybridz.org

I think the rarest thing about that Z would be that it's "rust free"... not that it's RHD LMAO...

-Robert

Some like them but I think they are death traps. The sheet metal is super thin so a little rust = alot of damage. You can dent the fenders just by leaning on them. They aren't good in a crash either. A SQ can drive through a 70s Z.

They are really light so they can be fast with little HP but I will never buy one because I can see myself getting seriously hurt or killed from crashing one. SQs may be heavier but I feel safe in them.

Have owned three S30's, a 1974 260 and a two 1978 280's... Got T-boned in one of the 280's about 8 years ago ( she was doing 40+ and hit me on the rear of the driver's side door and rear quarter, spun two and half times ) I walked away with bruises and cuts. ( lucky yes!) Don't know of many cars that someone wouldn't have gotten beat-up a little or worse with a hit like that...head on or offset is a different story with almost any cars of that period and even still now.

Personally, I have always loved them and never dented a fender, hood or rear quarter from leaning on it.... Rust issues can be said for just about any 60's and 70"s cars... 80's SQ's too! Frame rails, rear quarters and battery tray are the most commom rust areas. A 1970 RHD 240 is very hard to come by and can bring decent/good money for an unmolested Z to a Z enthusiast, BUT check the production date if it has a 1969 build date then it can be worth more no matter what...

Hyrid Z is a forum for mostly modified Z's! Very knowledgeable though... Try Zcar.com, you can also try NYZCC.com they are the Z club based in New York.

The Middle TN Z Car club just had thier yearly car show today and had over 100 cars at Nissan HQ.

Post some pics

Edited by Heatmiser

Id drive any z except a z31. They're hideous.

Speak for yourself, I think they're gorgeous. Not as nice looking as a Z32, but WAY better looking then the 280Zs.

Really, any 70's or 80's Japanese car will probably be bad about rust if you aren't careful. They were using carp steel back then, and even into the 90's.

I'm not sure about good sites for the old Z cars or Fairladys, but if you find one, let me know as I'll be getting a 240 pretty soon.

I think RHD on those cars in the US is more common than you think. I've seen a number of Fairladys sell on Ebay with RHD, as well as a lot of RHD 240's

Thanks for all the input, gents.

I never thought about the tin can, death trap situation. I read they came in at like 2300 lbs, so I certainly believe it.

Heatmeiser, some real good info there, thank you.

I think you're all right about the RHD thing. Seems that's how the early cars came.

I'll definitely post pics when I get around to seeing it, I'm hoping it's as clean as he describes it.

I really like the classiczcars.com website. Lots of good guys and good info. If the thing is a real fairlady it should have the 2.0 L dual overhead cam motor instead of the 2.4 L single that came in the 240s that were destined for the country from the get go. This is all off the top of my head so it might be wrong but I know some of the Japanese market cars came with the 2.0L dual overhead cam motor. I love the s30zs I have a 71 240z myself and love it.

As others have commented. Rust rust rust. Check everything. Pull the carpets/trunk mat... get under the car.

If you're good to go there, I'd say nab it. If you pay the right price you won't lose money on it, plus it's a really cool classic car.