How to ship an engine?

SunStreaker

Well, it depends if you are sending or receiving. You need to properly mount it to a pallet, which seems to be hard for people on this site to do right. A big enough pallet so it won't tip over. A guy sent me one on a pallet with a footprint smaller than the engine! Guess what happened?

A stock long block (assembled with head attached) is usually about $700 - 800. That is with less than 100K miles. Then you still need to put new chains on it.

i threw my 4g64 on a pallet and bolted/strapped it to the pallet inside a giant box and used freightquote.com to get the cheapest option.

I chose to insure it, drop it off at the shipping hub and have them ship it to the members house with a forklift truck.

from atlanta to ohio it cost 328 for all that.

look up blue grace logistics. I got a 400 small block chevy v8 sent from syracuse, NY to Virginia beach, VA for $148 in three days. freightquote wanted $160 and after looking up freight quote's reputation I got a bit scared..

I chose to insure it, drop it off at the shipping hub and have them ship it to the members house with a forklift truck.

That's a pretty long, slow drive on a forklift ;)

look up blue grace logistics. I got a 400 small block chevy v8 sent from syracuse, NY to Virginia beach, VA for $148 in three days. freightquote wanted $160 and after looking up freight quote's reputation I got a bit scared..

OMG thank you so much for this post. I called them up after getting a quote for 160 from freightquote.com and I spoke to Joe at 8134250690 who gave me a price of 210 for the same carrier that freightquote did but after telling him that I received that quote from freightquote he said would definately be able to beat up his rep at the carrier and definately match that price or beat it once it came close when the engine is ready to be shipped and everything is almost set in stone!

so basically freightquote had a lower price, but he price matched it? so you paid 160 regardless...?

Yeah but he might be willing to go lower still and I rather deal with a freight company with a good reputation than freightquote. If you google reviews for freightquote all you get is horror stories, even several times people getting extra charges because freightquote messed up upon delivery or items getting lost and freightquote stalling. Instead I have a representative to talk to, who gave me a personal quote and is willing to work with me on the price. I rather pay the same price for a company with a good rep, or even overpay a bit for peace of mind rather than worry if my package will be lost or if there will be any surprise charges.

freightquote doesnt ship anything, its just a booking agency like orbitz does for booking hotels....

my experience was flawless. Im willing to bet most of those "horror stories" are first time shippers who get confused about the ins and outs of how freight shipping is different

freightquote doesnt ship anything, its just a booking agency like orbitz does for booking hotels....

my experience was flawless. Im willing to bet most of those "horror stories" are first time shippers who get confused about the ins and outs of how freight shipping is different

actually there were quite a few people saying they had many great transactions with freight quote, and then one day got extra charges compounded on them and they were furious.

But in their (freightquote) defense, I would assume most of those people just misweighed their package and were just getting charged due to their incompetence.

actually there were quite a few people saying they had many great transactions with freight quote, and then one day got extra charges compounded on them and they were furious.

But in their (freightquote) defense, I would assume most of those people just misweighed their package and were just getting charged due to their incompetence.

Im willing to bet that this is the case. It was extremely seamless for me to ship through them. I had NO idea what i was doing, i called them, talked to them and they pretty much hand fed me the info on what to do and how to save costs (dropping off at hub, etc.)

There is a lot of estimations that goes along with the shipping process... like weight, size, freight class, etc and i can see how any miscalculation would result in larger fees...I had everything exacted except the actual weight, which i had to estimate and intentionally added about 30 lbs to what i think it actually weighed just to be safe. I ended up being dead on with the estimation with the additional 30 lbs so it worked out well