Dual fuel pump questions

So I'd like to switch from my huge A1000 to two stock-style pumps. I have many options for mounting, including in-tank.

Does anyone know if external pumps include a check valve? I would want check valves on both pumps as one would be running all the time and the other would come on at around 20 psi or something. And as for in-tank pumps, walbro makes a 400lph in tank pump that would suit me well, but I'm leaning toward two external bosch 044s because they flow more at higher pressures than the walbro 255s.

Anyone have any pumps laying around to look at or remember if check valves are included, or is that a stock piece?

044s come with a check valve when you by them. Ive got one on my quest

http://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartImages/1587010536.jpg

http://tensaituning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bosch-044-pump-fuel-pump%5Bekm%5D450x300%5Bekm%5D.gif

This is pretty trick is you are looking to run them in a surge tank

http://www.intengineering.com/integrated-engineering-submerged-dual-044-billet-surge-tank-with-pumps.html

http://www.intengineering.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/n/integrated_engineering_044_dual_surge_tank_with_pumps.jpg

Edited by RonnieJ

I had a flatty that the P.O. installed a aftermarket fuel pump in the return line. Not sure what he was thinking

Maybe he was always running his fuel tank low, and hooked up another FP to the return hose so the unburned fuel would go back to the Fuel Tank to keep his car running? :lol: :lol:

Bill

Walboro 400 isn't e85 compatible

They are coming out with an e85 compatible 470lph pump in April.

044s are no good in tank in case u wanna go that route. You'll have the same problem you have now.

You need to put in a decent lift pump in tank so I would just put in the new Wally pump when it comes out and be done. Simple and effective.

The stock tank has good baffling and a circular baffle around the pickup to create a column of fuel higher than the rest of the tank when it gets low. Engineered for racing, son. akauf, I know a guy locally using an in-tank walbro 400 with e85. I don't know why it wouldn't be designed for one specific fuel, then sold to the public?

I don't think I would want three fuel pumps, although it would be impressive to look at, it's probably overly complicated, not to mention more expensive.

The stock tank has good baffling and a circular baffle around the pickup to create a column of fuel higher than the rest of the tank when it gets low.

But you do not run a stock tank. Hence the problem with the fuel sloshing out of the sump. Are you going back to a stock tank?

Do you feel the amount of fuel that the current pump returns to the tank is aerating the fuel?

How many liters per hour is the a1000?

akauf, I know a guy locally using an in-tank walbro 400 with e85. I don't know why it wouldn't be designed for one specific fuel, then sold to the public?

I don't think I would want three fuel pumps, although it would be impressive to look at, it's probably overly complicated, not to mention more expensive.

255s actually aren't meant to be used in e85 either though they last in it any way. The 400lph, also not recommended for e85,, has been having much less luck and failing often in ethanol. Most don't make it two months. Your friend will be replacing that pump in due time. The material the turbine is made from will break down in ethanol.

In any event walboro won't warranty a pump used in e85..

Walboros work great in tank, the new 470 will work in e85,, be quite, and will be fine below a quarter tank.

Easy, cheap, and functional

Are you swapping for the noise? I have a similar pump myself (SX version) and have installed that same pump on a customers car. It too was very noisey, till I installed a secondary pump to fed it. I got a 15 PSI carburated high flow pump to feed a surge tank, and routed the surge tank return back to the fuel tank. the pressure from the surge was enough to cut the noise more than in half, you coudl still hear it, but not annoying at all. It also had the benifit of about 1 liter of pressurized fuel primed for the main pump at all times. It wan'st all that expensive and upgrade, and could flow enough fuel for 1000 HP.

I have just been impressed with what stock-sized pumps have been able to do. Maybe I'll start to like it again, I dunno. I have heard rumors about their lack of reliability too, and I do intend to drive the car long distances for meets and what not.

perhaps try an SX pump, they are mil spec, so they will last. Aeromotive is a great company, but it's not made for daily driving. SX was made for a lot of marine aplications, and is found on a lot of coast guard motors, that says a lot about their design.

I bet it woudl last if you gave it a lift pump like I described. The quietness obviosly means it's doing a lot less work for the same flow.

The stock tank has good baffling and a circular baffle around the pickup to create a column of fuel higher than the rest of the tank when it gets low. Engineered for racing, son. akauf,

Sorry but the stock tank has no baffles and only a circle of metal around the pickup about 1" high. I've looked inside several SQ tanks and none of them had baffles.

they have some rudimentatry baffles, just not much. LIke 2 sheets of steel bent in a W shape. The bowl the fuel pickup sits in is about 5" deep with a small hole so it can stay full. the return dumps into this bowl to even when teh fuel does slosh to the side in a corner, the bowl doesn't immediatly empty. It also doesn't ever have any more fue level in it that the tank, it's just a fail safe for corners.

• 3 months later...

So does anyone know if the stock replacement walbros have a check valve built in?

I do not know. My Wally drops about 20 psi when it shuts off, the rest bleeds off slower.

I have been mulling the e85 pump dilemma my self. A search on dsm tuners showed that the preferred set up is a wally feeding a 044 in series, with the 044 often mounted after the fuel filter in the engine bay. Parallel pumps seem to do better when more volume is need vs more pressure. In my case i need more pressure as i am limited in injector size options.

Series would be easy-er and cheaper to plumber up i would think.

I have heard the 044's die prematurely in e85 as well.

I have another wally, i might try to hook up in series.

I just added a relay to power my wally off of a 10 ga wire, it looks like that's going to give me a few more psi.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Yeah, I was even thinking that I have -8 hard line to the fuel rail now, and a large power wire with relay for the pump which might be able to support slightly more than what I was getting before. And all I need is a bit more than what I was getting, so I was even thinking a stock pump could be used as a secondary, maybe it wouldn't support the pressure though.