Picked up a little home protection...

conquestTSIguy

guns kill...... well YEAH :blink: so do knives, baseball bats, cars, planes, trains, etc. where i live i could prob never lock my door and never have a problem, BUT if someone intrude my home they would get about 12mm across the threshold and BAM.......i'd be cleaning up brains before my dog could get to them to lick them up :P

^ truth

I own guns because i plink and its my right. Im not trying to kill people never was the intention. If someone wants to steal my stuff they can but my family is not replaceable. if i have to shoot and harm or maybe kill someone that is the price they pay for coming into my home and endangering my family.

.. and also its not always about where you live. I bet some criminal who lives in a low class neighborhood would probably rather rob an up scale neighborhood than his neighbors house..

^ i said earlier id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

also people have been shot 60+ times and lived.. i think they were aiming to kill but the body doesnt always want to quit..

Edited by Starquest86

Internet gangstas. I wonder how many of you are really ready to shoot someone in real life rather than just talk about it on the Internet.

I'm not ready to....I don't know if I ever will be. But if I fear for my life or my family, in my home. I know I have a tool to use in that situation.

Turborusty

If anyone doesn't believe a gun's purpose isn't for killing - animals or humans - then you really are blind (metaphorically speaking). You can use it for other things like recreation, hunting for food/trophies, ho-downs, custom "worn-look" jeans, etc. But think about it. What was it invented for? killing.

I think that if you need a gun to feel safe in your home, then you live in the wrong area.

Firearms as a whole are meant for killing. But they are a tool and a tools design does not define a tools use. You can buy a car which can go faster than the speed limit. But you may not hit its top speed on public streets. Many times tools are never used for their purpose; Life boats, ejection seats, parachutes, etc... As I said I've never used my fire extinguisher. I'm really glad I have never had to use a gun to kill a person, and I hope to never have to. Using a gun to cause damage to another person is the last thing I'd ever want to do. And I'd honestly give the person that ability to run first if I thought it was possible.

If you think that living in the right area keeps things from happening you are wrong. Do you think rapes an murders don't happen in gated communities, in the nicest neighborhoods or the most remote places?

I've only had one time that I thought I needed a pistol for self defense. I'm so glad I didn't need it. I didn't even have to take it out. But in retrospect I was lucky and glad I had it. I would not have been able to call the cops in that situation.

Internet gangstas. I wonder how many of you are really ready to shoot someone in real life rather than just talk about it on the Internet.

I know I'd be more prone to pull the trigger if I felt my wife or child was in danger then if it were only me. Oh, I know I'd cry like a baby and need some counseling afterwards. Anyone that can take a human life and not have issues probably needs help already. That is why I have so much respect for our troops we ask them to do 2 of the hardest things; Risk their life for us and possibly shoot another person. We tend to only think of the former, but shooting someone is a huge psychological weight.

Edited by Cloud81918

I've never owned a gun, pardon firearm. I'm not against them. I've shot them. I'm an ok shot and I don't think I would have trouble hitting my target. I just have better things to spend my $ on.

I have a bow and knives. The bow has advantages because I can practice my aim in the backyard without anyone knowing. ;)

My statement wasn't meant to express my feelings towards firearm ownership. It was merely an observance. I'd be very interested to know the statistics if anyone can come up with them, should such things exist.

Myself, I hope it is only something that is talked about on the internet. I dont think anyone here is glorifying anything. I know I have the skill to use my weapons and I know I could shoot someone if I felt like it was the only option or if they broke into my house for ANY reason. Its not "tough talk", its the honest to God truth. I just hope I would have the opportunity to draw my weapon before they were on top of me. I dont sleep with one eye open so I hope I would have a little advance warning and if not... well, what could you do?

guns were designed to kill - big deal. is that supposed to be some sort of coup de grace argument? if i need to drive a nail, i want a hammer, if i need to slice a tomato, i want a knife. if i need to kill someone, i want a gun. and believe this: if you are threatening me or mine with deadly harm, then you need killing. i'm not conflicted on that point, and if you are then i'm sort of embarrassed for you.
  • Like 1

I honestly didn't start this thread to start any sort of argument. I do appreciate everyones different points of view on the topic. However, it is a personal choice and my constitutional right to bear arms. If everyone in the world used firearms for their intended purpose, there would be a lot less wildlife in the world. But unfortunately people do misuse firearms and sadly people are killed. And in my beliefs, guns don't kill people... stupid people with fingers do! a firearm only does what the user makes it do. Edited by conquestTSIguy

My statement wasn't meant to express my feelings towards firearm ownership. It was merely an observance. I'd be very interested to know the statistics if anyone can come up with them, should such things exist.

United States Dept. of Justice report (2011):

38 percent of assaults and 60 percent of rapes occur during home invasions.

One in five homes undergoes a home invasion or break-in.

There are more than 8,000 home invasions every day in North America.

50 percent of home invasions involve the use of a weapon, the most common weapons used are knives or other cutting instruments.

In 48 percent of home invasions, victims sustain physical injuries.

Victims age 60 or older make up 17 percent of home invasion victims.

In 68 percent of home invasions, victims and the accused are strangers; in 11 percent of these cases, the victim and the accused are friends, business associates or family.

And some members here question others for the their choice to have a firearm for home protection?

Statistics don't lie. And these are only the reported ones to police or other law enforcement agencies.

You can see where I stand on this issue by looking at my Avatar :D

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

United States Dept. of Justice report (2011): 38 percent of assaults and 60 percent of rapes occur during home invasions. One in five homes undergoes a home invasion or break-in. There are more than 8,000 home invasions every day in North America. 50 percent of home invasions involve the use of a weapon, the most common weapons used are knives or other cutting instruments. In 48 percent of home invasions, victims sustain physical injuries. Victims age 60 or older make up 17 percent of home invasion victims. In 68 percent of home invasions, victims and the accused are strangers; in 11 percent of these cases, the victim and the accused are friends, business associates or family. And some members here question others for the their choice to have a firearm for home protection? Statistics don't lie. And these are only the reported ones to police or other law enforcement agencies. Bill

Thank you for that info Cal! It's very interesting, to say the least.

Turborusty

Thank you for that info Cal! It's very interesting, to say the least.

Turborusty

Your welcome Rusty. Just trying to inform members here of the facts from a un-bias source :D The stats from the Feds even surprised me. Especially this one, That 60 percent of the rapes occur during home invasions. That is a sad statistic.Maybe a homeowner with a firearm, and the proper firearm training could have avoided that. I have taught my wife how to operate her semi-automatic firearm. When I go away, I always go over the procedure with her again on how to load and operate the weapon. Sometimes she gets pissed off at me for making her go over it again. Well, better safe than sorry. I still worry, but with the information I have given her, I feel she can do or not do what is required. I live out in a rural enviroment. So, learning how to protect yourself to me, is a must. I personally own 25 firearms. Do I look forward to having to shoot a intruder? HELL NO. Am I prepared just in case I have to? yes.Protecting my wife, and then myself is my priority

Bill

Edited by Caliber308