Stronger Rear Axles

trini2dbone

Yes, they probably dont make anything for our cars ATM or ever possibly. The first time I heard about them was around 2001 or so. I dont think they were that big when these cars used to be popular. You would have to send them an axle for them to basically copy. The only thing you want to consider is if you make that axle stronger, something has to give or break so its probably going to be your differential, driveshaft ect. I broke input shafts on FWD cars because the axles were un-breakable.

You have to make a lot of horsepower to need more than stock rear axles. They are pretty sturdy unless you are into snatching gears.

Jimmy

Yeah what he said, There is a b71 87 near here that ran on the stock rear setup for a couple of years with a boosted LS1 puttin down well over 500hp. I think he did some drifting with his also, so it got tested very hard before it broke. STick with the stock setup until you have to make a change.

BC_99

You don't need to swap the entire subframe, all you need is the spindles and the axles.....everything is identical except for the spindles and axles, they bolt right in. As for the axles, I know I've had problems finding the 88-89 axles for sale while the 87 down axles are for sale regularly at AutoZone. I have an 86 and did the swap, blew my axles and ended up having to spend $300 to get them rebuilt while the 87 down axles were for sale at AutoZone for $70 a piece. Let Robert (aka Komeuppance) say it, the four bolt axles are just as strong as the six bolt as long as you have them rebuilt at some point, he said the same about the 87 down transmissions. Trying to run any sort of power through 20+ year old used parts = fail. Try getting the ones you have rebuilt, nothing you are going to do with a G54B is going to break them, an LS1, yeah I'm sure you are but not with a G54B

The part that breaks on the axles is the splined part, that goes inside the diff. That would be the weakest area. You'd have to get some made from stronger metals.

A g54b can break axles just as good as a smell-s1... haha...

-Robert

The part that breaks on the axles is the splined part, that goes inside the diff. That would be the weakest area. You'd have to get some made from stronger metals.

-Robert

I run 4 bolts and the splines are what cried mercy on both of mine. Cleaned them right off