Top Gear on the History Channel...Watch It?????????? Opinions????

verde2002

Does anyone watch Top Gear on the History Channel, the US version with Tanner Foust and the two other clowns? The original UK version which they still show on BBC America is one of the best produced automotive shows ever but the US version is such a joke. So many times I catch small things here and there where the two clowns are supposedly drifting or driving fast but in reality the inside shot of the car and what is happening outside do not match. Tanner is the only one that is a pro driver, the other guys I have no idea who they are, supposed to be comedians I guess but their humor sucks along with their timing on the jokes. There is zero chemistry among the hosts. I wish they never remade the US version with the crap they show. What do you think???????? Edited by verde2002

I still have to root for Rutledge only because I've hung out with him and he has given me parts out of nowhere for my old Palermo. I have a head in my garage that he ripped off of a junkyard SQ when he was in a pull-a-part and just gave it since I quote " I know they crack a lot on the 3rd cylinder, this one seems good, keep it just in case"

I still have to root for Rutledge only because I've hung out with him and he has given me parts out of nowhere for my old Palermo. I have a head in my garage that he ripped off of a junkyard SQ when he was in a pull-a-part and just gave it since I quote " I know they crack a lot on the 3rd cylinder, this one seems good, keep it just in case"

You can root for your guy and still say the show sucks, right???? I'm sure he will understand.

I guess I will be the first person to say that the show doesn't suck

It's been getting better since the rough start in the beginning. Season 1 was just awkward between the three hosts then in Season 2 they are starting to work a little better with each other but a lot of comedy still seems forced.

How many here were fans of UK Top Gear since the beginning? Do you remember how bad the hosts were then?

This is still only the second season, it takes time for hosts to become comfortable when you're working with each other

I guess I will be the first person to say that the show doesn't suck

It's been getting better since the rough start in the beginning. Season 1 was just awkward between the three hosts then in Season 2 they are starting to work a little better with each other but a lot of comedy still seems forced.

How many here were fans of UK Top Gear since the beginning? Do you remember how bad the hosts were then?

This is still only the second season, it takes time for hosts to become comfortable when you're working with each other

My feeling is don't copy a show unless you can do it justice. Yes the original UK version wasn't perfect from day one but they were pioneering a particular style of automotive television show. What is the excuse for the US version? They have years of the UK seasons to study and avoid the same mistakes. Chemistry among the hosts can not me manufactured, if you don't have it you will never have it. Same with the bland jokes and the deliveries of the jokes, if your not funny you can't fake it. They try too hard and it shows, all the comentaries and conversations seem unnatural and forced.

The US Top Gear hosts are not a good fit. What makes the UK version so entertaining is the personalities of the three hosts.

I have watched all the UK episodes on Streetfire.net.

In season 1 you can see Jeremy in the warehouse with only a hand full of people in the audience, even then that show is better than the US version.

Most who say the US version sucks are expecting the UK version's quality. That is one of the biggest challenges viewers of both shows have to overcome to appreciate the "spin off" versions. Andy Wilman (Exec producer) said outright they aren't trying to make an exact clone, and Jeremy Clarkson has backed this up.

-Robert

Most who say the US version sucks are expecting the UK version's quality. That is one of the biggest challenges viewers of both shows have to overcome to appreciate the "spin off" versions. Andy Wilman (Exec producer) said outright they aren't trying to make an exact clone, and Jeremy Clarkson has backed this up.

-Robert

^This.

When I first started watching the US version, I was trying to look at it and compare it to the UK version. Comparatively, it's not nearly as good.

However, if you view it and just enjoy it for what it is, independent of the name "Top Gear" I think you'll come to appreciate it. I know this, I've had a good number of literal LOL moments watching it. My kids actually prefer it, due to the American humor they understand (versus the British humour (see what I did there?) they don't).

-Robert

/\ This!

Personally, I like the show. Sure it's not near as good as the UK version, but it's way better than all the other "car shows" that are on Speed, Spike and all the other US channels that run "car shows". What would you rather watch... Top Gear, or My Classic Car? Personally, I'd watch a rerun of US Top Gear for the 5th time than have to look at that dude's stupid mustache.

So keep saying TGUS sucks. The ratings people don't hear "It sucks compared to the UK version", they just hear "It sucks" and they will cancel it. Then when you have nothing to watch but Wheeler Dealers and old reruns of UK Top Gear, you will have no reason to complain. The rest of us who are just glad to have a US car show that's better than the rest of the US car shows will be sad, but at least the rest of you will get what you want.

Oh, and Tanner is a DB. If it wasn't for the other guys, it might be unwatchable ro me.

If you look at the show, independant of the uk version, you will come to appreciate it. I at first did not give it a chance because I kept comparing it to the uk. Now I see it in a different light. Each Top Gear version has their own chemistry. And you gotta realize, the US version is in it's infant stages.

I don't know if they have aired the episode yet, but there is one that recently wrapped up production where they took 3 Cadillac CTS-V's and had some fun with them. They strapped couches to the roof and one of them they jumped Dukes of Hazzard style.

I delivered the cars and then picked up the left overs after they were done. Man those CTS-V's have power, they kept snapping axles on them.

I'm with Burton....if all I had to watch was "My Classic Car", I would end up buying a plane ticket to wherever that 1st class douchebag was currently and punching him in the nose/mouth/throat/chest! Dennis Gage is the biggest, most ridiculous piece of crap I've ever seen on TV. I'd rather watch Oprah and Rosie O'Donnell together than see that crap-bag on my TV.

I HATE THAT GUY!!!!!

As a side note, I don't enjoy US Top Gear a lot due to the douchebags on there.......but I watch it for the cars, and there's not a lot of other choices for that.

Turborusty

My feeling is don't copy a show unless you can do it justice. Yes the original UK version wasn't perfect from day one but they were pioneering a particular style of automotive television show. What is the excuse for the US version? They have years of the UK seasons to study and avoid the same mistakes. Chemistry among the hosts can not me manufactured, if you don't have it you will never have it. Same with the bland jokes and the deliveries of the jokes, if your not funny you can't fake it. They try too hard and it shows, all the comentaries and conversations seem unnatural and forced.

Is it not obvious the reasoning behind not bringing the UK version directly to the US?

It's because half of the cars they review are not available in the states

The US Top Gear hosts are not a good fit. What makes the UK version so entertaining is the personalities of the three hosts.

I have watched all the UK episodes on Streetfire.net.

In season 1 you can see Jeremy in the warehouse with only a hand full of people in the audience, even then that show is better than the US version.

That isn't from the beginning, James May and Richard Hammond weren't even added to the show until 2002... Top Gear had already been around for 15 years before that

When you name your show after an existing show that is amazing people have expectations. The biggest mistake was calling the US show Top Gear I think. With the name came a lot of expectations that just couldn't be met. It's like starting a new boy band and calling them The Beatles. People hear certain names and expect to be blown away.

Is it not obvious the reasoning behind not bringing the UK version directly to the US?

It's because half of the cars they review are not available in the states

There are plenty of kick tail cars in the US they can put on the show but they would rather drive their $500 cars from Los Angeles to San Francisco or have a fake drag race with a ZR1 and Ferrari when if you pay attention they shifter 15 times on a car with only 6 gears. So many inconsistancies in the show it is pathetic.

There are plenty of kick tail cars in the US they can put on the show but they would rather drive their $500 cars from Los Angeles to San Francisco or have a fake drag race with a ZR1 and Ferrari when if you pay attention they shifter 15 times on a car with only 6 gears. So many inconsistancies in the show it is pathetic.

The same can be said about errors in the UK show. It's a TV show for entertainment, don't take it so seriously.

-Robert

The same can be said about errors in the UK show. It's a TV show for entertainment, don't take it so seriously.

-Robert

Eh, yep. It's for entertainment, not a documentary. Even the stuff they do in the UK version requires special vehicle effects.