got towed from neighboring parking lot

JohnnyWadd

So my apartment is adjacent to a place called reindeer meadows.....several days ago we have a swat team situation here...http://www.ktvz.com/news/30268598/detail.html

Well during the swat team we had snipers in the trees and our parking both off and on street was blocked. So we all parked in the reindeer meadows lot. Thinking i could park my starion there for a day after getting it back from the shop it was promptly towed to a impound lot. No signs about not parking or any notice to me. It was parked thursday and towed friday morning early. I wonder if i have any recourse?

Yeah, you got a case. But it's a civil matter, as in small claims court kind of thing. PITA.

Check with the cops first though. How did you find out its an impound lot? What were the fees? Did they Damage your air damn?

I'd do something a little different.

First, I'd figure out the manager's name, and what he drove. Then, I'd go to a pay phone, and call the impound lot and have his car towed.

Turnabout's fair play, I think.

Or, there are several other evolutions we could try....one of my favorites....limburger cheese on the catalyst, perhaps bananas in the tailpipe, dead groundhog in the glovebox.....

Just a few random thoughts.

Tim

Before you guys get all revenge happy consider where he parked.

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/partners/SLC/details.aspx?aptid=238975

It's a low income seinor citizen apartment building. From what I can see on google maps they have limited parking and the spaces may be assigned. There are a few signs in the lot but I can't read them on the pics. With something happening next door you can bet alot of seinors were watching the goings on from their windows and saw him park there then walk across the street.

Not to be mean but he parked on private property when he had no buisness being there. And he got towed for it. It's pretty cut and dry. He has little to no recourse here other than to pay the fine and get his car back. This is not a dig on him, this is just the way things work. I never would have parked there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=reindeer+meadows&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=909&ix=sea&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=z7s5T6yMJKPUiALTvIWhBg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CBAQ_AUoAg

Damn the map show there is tons of parking it bigger than cougar springs. That whole section above above reindeer is there lot.

Could have at least given me a notice. I could have been a visitor and there are ZERO signs. Luckily i knew the tow truck driver and i got it out saturday instead of monday. People today are so quick to call cops or make a issue out of things these days. I walked right into the complex and was greeting by a nice elderly resident and she showed me the break room with all the phone numbers. The manager probably was being a dee eye cee kay that day

Before you guys get all revenge happy consider where he parked.

I suspect they are joking bud

Not to be mean but he parked on private property when he had no buisness being there. And he got towed for it. It's pretty cut and dry. He has little to no recourse here other than to pay the fine and get his car back. This is not a dig on him, this is just the way things work. I never would have parked there.

They dont know what business i have there. Neither do you except for reading this thread. So it would have been reasonable to give me the 24 hour notice. Especialy with zero signage. I could have had a guest over here and told them to park there. Defintly wont now though. Also the lot is connected directly to mine. Dont assume just because you got a google map you know anything about it. You might park there if you came Canyon drive and drove through my lot to the back you end up in the back side of Reindeer, you would not know the difference unless you drove down the runway and niticed you where at a new bulding. Does not have a gate or sign. On the google maps it shows green like grass or spmething, but if you drive down reindeer and turn on canyon then go right at that lot it goes all the way through to all of the buildings. With the lack of signs a person passing through could easily think that reindeers lot was my lot.

he parked on private property . And he got towed for it.

Thanks for reiterating what i already stated. I do so love it when you post up obvious stuff the the o.p. already said.

I never would have parked there.

Good job. If you did i would not call the apartment manager on you or have you towed unless it was abandoned or on fire or something. I would leave you a note or something first.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Private property is private property, you have no recourse. Unless you were given permission to park there. If someone parked on my property without permission, I'd have their car towed too. You should have gone to the manager of the Apartment complex and asked permission to park on their property because of the situation that was going on at the time ;) Instead, you took it upon yourself to park on private property. So, pay the towing and storage fees and rack this up to learning something about parking your car where your not suppose to.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Public Property is a different story:i.e (Public parking lot) Then, it has to be posted as to how long you can park there, and the ramifications (if any) for not following the instructions on the sign.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Private property is private property, you have no recourse. Unless you were given permission to park there. If someone parked on my property without permission, I'd have their car towed too. You should have gone to the manager of the Apartment complex and asked permission to park on their property because of the situation that was going on at the time ;) Instead, you took it upon yourself to park on private property. So, pay the towing and storage fees and rack this up to learning something about parking your car where your not suppose to.

Bill

Captain Obvious I do thank you for the insight. I will remember not to park on your property. I guess i didn't mention i did call the apartment people and they where gone til monday. A old lady gave me the regular and after hours number and all i got was a message. So with no signs, no managers answering there phone, etc etc as already stated. It was reasonable to park there and reasonable to be suprised it was gone next morning. The fact that it did get towed already tought me that it was private property, at the time of parking it i had no idea. To a degree that is the scope of my complaint and where someone might offer some insight. I already know i need to get it out and pay the tow bill. Duh.

Public Property is a different story:i.e (Public parking lot) Then, it has to be posted as to how long you can park there, and the ramifications (if any) for not following the instructions on the sign.

Bill

Right. But with zero postings how does one know?

So, pay the towing and storage fees and rack this up to learning something about parking your car where your not suppose to.

Bill

Yes i did do that already and posted as such.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

If the property really did have no postings then they legally cannot tow you, at least that is how it is in California. There are also laws about the requirements of how large the signs need to be and how often they are posted

Captain Obvious I do thank you for the insight. I will remember not to park on your property. I guess i didn't mention i did call the apartment people and they where gone til monday. A old lady gave me the regular and after hours number and all i got was a message. So with no signs, no managers answering there phone, etc etc as already stated. It was reasonable to park there and reasonable to be suprised it was gone next morning. The fact that it did get towed already tought me that it was private property, at the time of parking it i had no idea. To a degree that is the scope of my complaint and where someone might offer some insight. I already know i need to get it out and pay the tow bill. Duh.

If there are no signs on a Public Property parking lot and your car is towed, then you have recourse. In your case your were parked on Private Property illegally. Even if you tried to call the Apartment Manager and got no answer, was it still reasonable to park on their property? What you did was still illegal. So, suck it up and pay the piper.

P.S. Captain Obvious knows not to park on Private Property without permission ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

If the property really did have no postings then they legally cannot tow you, at least that is how it is in California. There are also laws about the requirements of how large the signs need to be and how often they are posted

Private Property doesn't need signs. What if I go to open my garage in the morning and there is a car blocking my exit? I don't need a sign posted to have that car towed off my property legally.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Well, even though it's private property, they are still required to follow procedures for towing vehicles off their property. In California, they got really strict with impound lots and the removal of vehicles from private property.

For one there has to be a posted sign stating its private property and containing the impound lots contact info. Second, to tow away someone's car ,an agent acting on behalf of the property owner or the property owner has to authorize the vehicle removal with the impound lot, in writing. Once the tow yard has a written approval for the removal, they can tow the car away.

They passed these laws to prevent predatory impounding of vehicles by private sector.

Don't know about your city, but that's the law around here. But, ultimately it is private property so it's a civil matter.

Private Property doesn't need signs.

Bill

It doesnt even have signs saying the name of the apartment complex. Are you saying that if it has no signes stating public property that its automatically private? This property has two entances off a public street. It doesnt really matter the whole point is if they are gonna be so strict they should put up signs on the entrance or between the two connecting lots. Its just common courtesy treat your neighbors good. If some elderly people showed up to visit and parked in my lot the last thing i would do is call a tow truck on them, maybe ask them to park elsewhere or ask when they are moving.

Private Property doesn't need signs. What if I go to open my garage in the morning and there is a car blocking my exit? I don't need a sign posted to have that car towed off my property legally.

Bill

In California there are requirements that must be met before a car can be towed off private property.

If it's a single family dwelling then yes, you can have the car towed.. but if it's not a single family home then there are other requirements. I'm sure many other states have these as well.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22658.htm

Bill

That's sketchy, because if they are parked on the driveway and into the sidewalk, they are also in public property and you gotta call parking enforcement from your city and they would tow it away. If they are completely inside your property, your on your own.

We had jack hole park in driveway once in front of my wrecking yard. Lucky for me, my dad was driving the tow truck that day and feeling a little humorous. He wheel lifted the guys car, turned it around facing the wrong and left it Tripple parked on the street. Basically in the middle of the street. He then took two quarts of rancid old junk yard motor oil and spread it all over the guys windshield and hood. Then a couple of handfulls of dirt!

Should have the look on the guys face when came back to find his car in the middle of the road!

It doesnt even have signs saying the name of the apartment complex. Are you saying that if it has no signes stating public property that its automatically private?

Using a "little common sense" should have told you. Your still trying to make excuses about screwing up. Why even post about it? Just pay the money.

Bill

That's sketchy, because if they are parked on the driveway and into the sidewalk, they are also in public property and you gotta call parking enforcement from your city and they would tow it away. If they are completely inside your property, your on your own.

We had jack hole park in driveway once in front of my wrecking yard. Lucky for me, my dad was driving the tow truck that day and feeling a little humorous. He wheel lifted the guys car, turned it around facing the wrong and left it Tripple parked on the street. Basically in the middle of the street. He then took two quarts of rancid old junk yard motor oil and spread it all over the guys windshield and hood. Then a couple of handfulls of dirt!

Should have the look on the guys face when came back to find his car in the middle of the road!

I don't live in the city.

Bill