CA smog

fresnog54b

greetings everyone.

need some input. I just got my SHP conquest up and running and now for california smog check to get my car back on the road. modifications: m7 magna head, arp bolts, felpro permatorque complete gasket kit,284 schenider cam, 1.6 roller rockers from LSP, HD valve springs, del west titanium keepers/retainers, 1mm oversized valves, port polish from pro tech with newen machine for all work and polish by hand with flow sheet to ensure equal flow in chambers, block is unknown, bought the entire car for 50 bucks, pistons are oversized, looks either hyper U's or forged, never had the chance to pull it apart, but has low miles. Car runs excellent no smoking nothing at all. Everything else is stock, 12a, stock intercooler piping, stock everything. If it does not pass smog, i will install my plug n play megasquirt from scottstar and tweak with the maps. I will keep everyone posted. let me know if any of you have had luck. the visual and miscellanous test will not be a problem. i am just curious about the sniffer test.

Edited by fresnog54b
  • Like 1

I think you'll pass, my Starion passed Texas smog which is the same test as CA in both TBI and MPI guise without jet valves or a functioning EGR system using an MS1 megasquirt. My Bronco II passed running on an MS2 system for three years straight after not passing using the stock ECU. If your car is running well and the cats are working AND everything is nice and hot you'll do fine.

Scott

it should pass if it runs clean and looks stock, most of the time the smog guys don't even know what they're looking at on a Starion...I had black hardpipes on one of my starions and it passed visual....

This is good to hear - I need to smog mine now, and the current mods are hard pipes (painted black), secondary air delete, 3" exhaust with high flow cat, and a 14G turbo. I'm going to put the stock TB to IC soft pipe back on, as my hard pipe has a BOV.

I will let you know how it goes.

Edited by DryBear

This is good to hear - I need to smog mine now, and the current mods are hard pipes (painted black), secondary air delete, 3" exhaust with high flow cat, and a 14G turbo. I'm going to put the stock TB to IC soft pipe back on, as my hard pipe has a BOV.

the guy who smogged my car popped the hood and literally stood there like he was trying to read Japanese...just confused....I didn't have the secondary air and I had a three inch...I can tell you this though, take those stickers off the underside of your hood...he looked for them, it'll tell him there should be a secondary air box

I agree with RF600...visual is the killer. If your car looks like its modded then the smog refs get all picky. I have had my car smogged for years with these items that will make your car fail in CA:

• Hard pipes
  • secondary bolted on but not installed
  • Down pipe / removed precat
  • 1G Mas installed in OEM canister

I agree with RF600...visual is the killer. If your car looks like its modded then the smog refs get all picky. I have had my car smogged for years with these items that will make your car fail in CA:

• Hard pipes
  • secondary bolted on but not installed
  • Down pipe / removed precat
  • 1G Mas installed in OEM canister

Are you saying you passed with these items that usually would fail?

leesfer, sorry...yeah that is what i meant to say. Just try to make sure your car looks as much as stock under the hood to prevent them from snooping around. If you wired anything in the hood makes sure you wrapped up in electrical tape and tie it up neat so it looks stock cause then they start asking questions. Smog refs are getting worse now on visual inspections. I have a 2001 S4 and they got all on me for installing red non OEM hoses and said to me that is a modifications. I had to be nice and work with the smog guy but he let me go. I try not to use color stuff anymore in the hood since Smog refs see color and then they think it's a modification.

FYI, All that stuff you have is internal stuff so you should be good since you said everthing else is stock.

Edited by alp247

Agreed with keeping things looking like things have no been messed with. My hard pipes are black, the 1g bov looks like it is supposed to be there. If it looks ricey chances that will look harder to see if you are legal.

Agreed with keeping things looking like things have no been messed with. My hard pipes are black, the 1g bov looks like it is supposed to be there. If it looks ricey chances that will look harder to see if you are legal.

Agreed....my EGR is crushed and has freeze plugs pressed into it, I put some RTV in some vacuum lines and plugged the vacuum lines into whatever, it looks like it's a functioning EGR, seriously though, you have to get rid of that hose diagram under the hood....it's a give away that stuff is missing.

greetings everyone.

.... i am just curious about the sniffer test.

The longer duration cam may hurt you in the sniffer test. If the duration makes your idle lumpy, and vacuum low, it would most likely result in elevated hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. If you're located outside of central Fresno, this will be tough since they are BASIC areas and only run the two speed idle (2500rpm and idle) test. http://www.bar.ca.go...Program_Map.pdf To better your chances, I would heat the cats up before getting to the smog station. Try to be the first in line when you get there to make sure the cats retain some heat by the time the test starts. As long as everything looks stock, your timing is correct(10 degrees BTDC at idle speed), and you pass the sniffer and evap test, you should be good. Is your air injection and EGR still hooked up?

Hey man! I'm basically in your neighborhood, so come by for the SQ discount!

take those stickers off the underside of your hood...he looked for them, it'll tell him there should be a secondary air box

That only works if the tech is lazy. All stations are required to have reference materials in the case there is no emissions label.

FYI: The smog "cutpoints" (passing limits) were reduced for cars in the last few years. I'm sure the will reduce them again in the future. If your car passed on the limit last time, it may not pass this time. :/

Edited by SFBMX88

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i was able to pass. i was very surprised that i did. but I'm glad i did. saved me 250 dollars and i don't have stock piping or anything. i just used the maft setup and safc2 to tune it while driving to the smog shop