Mitsubishi 4p10 3.0 4cyl turbo diesel

money mike

I was just messing around on craigslist and found a Mitsubishi fuso for sale and saw it had a 4cylinder turbo diesel. I was curious if this swap has ever been done on a starquest? It would be really bad tail to do this swap and build it. Im not really sure how much aftermarket support these engines have. I haven't really done to much research yet just wanted to see if you guys would have any info.

i think the fuso is too big but,,,,,,,,,,,,, a 4d55 4d56 is a direct swap. it connects directly to the stock trans just need to convert the fuel system. heck you could even put it in an auto trans car.. i did such swap on an 87 raider 2.6 auto trans. ask Kane,,,,,,,,,he has it now lol...

that i am unsure of. lol most likely a forklift or generator..... finding parts for most older mitsu diesels are a real nite mare unless you have some good connections over seas. the 4d55 and the 4d56 are literately a destroked 2.6 wideblock. the 4d56 is only an outside the US motor but the 4d55 was in ram50's and mightymax's from 83 to 85 and in some ford rangers but the accessory's and transmissions are different. i think the cranks are swappable to our blocks they are double wood-ruff keyed and take the same size bearing for the mains and connecting rods. so i have been mauling this around in my head for a while..... also the connecting rods might be compatible as there is a bushing pressed in the top so you could potentially have 4 made up to fit out wrist pins......... you wanna talk about a connecting rod... they hold over 300 psi of cyl pressure at idle....the inherent downfall of those particular motors were the head. 17 head bolts to hold her on. btw the head bolts might be useable for our heads as they are the same thread but i think they would be too long. idk.

Thanks guys maybe in the future I will be lucky enuff to have another starion to do a diesel swap in. Of course after I restore my first one haha. Can't get to ahead of myself.

Fuso Diesel is huge and heavy. Wouldn't fit in the engine bay unless you run without a hood. Along the same size as a cummins 3BT. 4D55 behind the gas auto is OK, does the job but the torque converter and shift points aren't ideal. Five speed would be the way to go in a quest. Don't expect a ton of power. It's not like the newer common rails where you can perform some computer magic and throw down big numbers. The older Mitsu diesels are all mechanical and fairly fragile. Last forever if they're stock but you start turning up the wick (injection timing and boost) and they'll pop a gasket just like the G54B. Torque and mileage would be the reason for a swap. HP and general all around badassery not so much.

Kane

im sure that has a big turbo and that fuel pump has have to have been totally gone thru. the pump work is where the power and the money is. i bet they got over a grand in that pump. oh and low compression pistons too so it can hold that mush boost. most likely they are 2.6 pistons lol....

oh and low compression pistons too so it can hold that mush boost. most likely they are 2.6 pistons lol....

Do you know how a diesel works?

Diesel operation could be described as controlled detonation. There is no throttle body. RPM and power is all controlled by fuel timing and volume. You don't need lower compression pistons. The engine may not run if you lower the compression even a little.

Diesel operation could be described as controlled detonation. There is no throttle body. RPM and power is all controlled by fuel timing and volume. You don't need lower compression pistons. The engine may not run if you lower the compression even a little.

Eh, yeah. Diesels are basically super high compression, something like 14:1+, even 22:1 is normal with a diesel.

A diesel for performance would need alot of work, unless you drop in a modern diesel engine in there, but they usually huge. And besides, you'd be relining around 3500-4K rpm. That's no fun.

Edited by louswheel01

I think you both stated the same thing, power's in the injection pump. He rebuilt the engine in the Raider because he cranked up the fuel, adjusted timing, and then blew a head gasket. As stated before the Mitsu diesel is failry fragile. On a mechanical injection setup like the 4D series, pump work isn't cheap. When your engine is run by one wire that either cuts fuel on or off, there is no chip or tuner that net any type of gain. It's all in re-curving the pump timing. Adjusting injection timing at the belt is too coarse for big HP, it has to be done from the inside.

Edited by MainstreaM

Eh, yeah. Diesels are basically super high compression, something like 14:1+, even 22:1 is normal with a diesel.

A diesel for performance would need alot of work, unless you drop in a modern diesel engine in there, but they usually huge. And besides, you'd be relining around 3500-4K rpm. That's no fun.

16.5:1 is the lowest in the 4D series from what i read

21:1 average

Edited by Skullzaflare

Tonni of Team 1000

"1983 Mitsubishi Galant endurance racer from Finland

- PP-diesel modified pump with 12mm plunger

- Original TC05 turbo (ported and polished)

- big intercooler

- Exhaust Manifold

http://koti.mbnet.fi/cr250/Galant/2006/pak...0paikallaan.jpg

- L200 Intake manifold

http://koti.mbnet.fi/cr250/Galant/2006/pakosarja/valmis.jpg

- Modified original pistons

- 3" Exhaust pipe (no mufflers)

- ported cylinderhead

- Double Valve Springs

- lightened flywheel with sintterclutch

We use 25psi-33psi boost in normal race. Max boost during testing conditions on racetrack is 37psi. At 29psi boost it produced over 200hp/295ft lbs torque on the dyno and would guess it make over 250hp and 400ft lbs of torque at 37psi.

Tonni of Team 1000

"1983 Mitsubishi Galant endurance racer from Finland

- PP-diesel modified pump with 12mm plunger

- Original TC05 turbo (ported and polished)

- big intercooler

- Exhaust Manifold

http://koti.mbnet.fi/cr250/Galant/2006/pak...0paikallaan.jpg

- L200 Intake manifold

http://koti.mbnet.fi/cr250/Galant/2006/pakosarja/valmis.jpg

- Modified original pistons

- 3" Exhaust pipe (no mufflers)

- ported cylinderhead

- Double Valve Springs

- lightened flywheel with sintterclutch

We use 25psi-33psi boost in normal race. Max boost during testing conditions on racetrack is 37psi. At 29psi boost it produced over 200hp/295ft lbs torque on the dyno and would guess it make over 250hp and 400ft lbs of torque at 37psi.

Now that is what I call cool!

Allen

in that old style of diesel you HAVE to lower the cyl pressure for that much boost.... it wont hold together. you read where they modified the stock pistons. have you ever even seen a 4d55 piston. the top of the piston at TDC actually protrudes the block the pistons are actually cast with the valve clearance in them. i have had junk new pistons that were cast incorrectly and contacted the valve...... also the actual combustion of theses motors are in the head from there it is forced down on to the piston. i have more knowledge of the 4d55 than i have the 54b. the power comes mostly from the injection pump.... either via timing and volume