Nationa EAS test failure

Chad

If any of you were watching TV or listening to the radio at 2:00 PM Eastern (11 AM Pacific) and you didn't hear the EAS test, your area experianced a failure to transmit this nation-wide, coast-to-coast test. It is the first nation wide test ever conducted, and it seems to have been an epic failure.

I manage a large cable TV headend on the Oregon coast for Charter Communications, and we did not receive any of the EAS test signals from our providers, and niether did any of the other systems in the whole state of Oregon. There were some areas in other states that received them just fine, and many that received a garbaled message that locked up their re-transmit systems for quite a while.

The test was conducted to find and fix any bugs/flaws, so it's a good thing, but seems it more broken that any one could have imagined.

Good thing we havne't had any national emergencies...

well it would not make much diff if it had work'd or not,, most of the country is on satilite tv any way and those would be one of the first things to go,,

in fact a few years ago we had 4 huricanes in one month here in florida and was with out tv the entire month sept for a couple days,, main reason is dish network is so cheap they are useing a mexican satilite and it's so low on the horizon that 60% signal is conceder'd good , befor they went to HD my dish signal was 98% but that satilite was too expensive for them to use for HD

i still have both dishs up and it's easy to see they are point'd at diff satilites

now if it even thinks like rain the signal goes out , when i was on my old C band 10ft dish nothing effect'd its reception

good observations Shelby. There are many links in this chain, and many of them failed, not just one. the biggest issue was the garbled message wtih overlapping tones that messed with many of the receivers. those tones trigger the transmitters, so if the tone is messed up, who know what will happen. there are redundant paths, but none of it works if garbage is put into the system. garbage in, garbage out. It locked up many TV and radio stations, some for hours with that garbage data.

Some stations had to reboot or even rebuild their servers. I feel lucky in my headend it never even got to me, so it was a non-event. I see more tests in our future :)

Just invent a nation wide text message system, everyone would get it instantly.

Already invented. We get texts and land line phone messages whenever there is an amber alert, etc... Except that is local.