Could it be anything but...........

TopDawg_43

First off, this is not my car..

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121718&hl=%2Bback+%2Bfrom+%2Bthe+%2Bdead&fromsearch=1

Its a car that I've been working on. The car has been sitting for the last 7 years, with a bad fuel pump. The owner didn't know anybody that knew how to work on SQ, until he met me.

I replaced the fuel pump and go the engine running. The car has been started up and let warm every other weekend, for the past 3 months. I go to change the oil and fuel filter. After I finish, we go to start the car up, and it's has this awful tapping noise. So I pull the VC and see the #1 intake vale was not closing all the way. And the tapping noise was the lifter sliding out and being forced back in.

Now I ask you again, can that be anything but a bent valve? And any intelligent theory of how it could of happen.

I told the owner, Something that was living in the intake, could have been sucked into the combustion chamber, and is wedged between the valve and head. Either way, the head has to come off

Edited by TopDawg_43

They can be interference. Maybe the guide has slipped down. That cylinder has no compression? I've seen the lifters fall apart and then the pieces fall out of the end of the rocker arm when you remove the rocker assembly but where do all the pieces go. I've seen the guides fall down. Something could have been dropped in the intake and it has the valve hanging open just a little and its not bent but it can't seat either. First thing I'd do is pull the intake and look in the port.

They can be interference. Maybe the guide has slipped down. That cylinder has no compression? I've seen the lifters fall apart and then the pieces fall out of the end of the rocker arm when you remove the rocker assembly but where do all the pieces go. I've seen the guides fall down. Something could have been dropped in the intake and it has the valve hanging open just a little and its not bent but it can't seat either. First thing I'd do is pull the intake and look in the port.

No, that is not compression. The valve is staying open about an inch. It's enough room that the lifter is sliding out of the rocker arm. The guide is possible. I started to pull the intake, but I can pull the head just as fast, with allot less headache.

So, nobody knows how a SQ could bend a valve?

I know ,When it hits the piston :D As it is with every other Valve that has ever bent ;) Is the Valve spring broken? (that sounds like the problem) Failure of a Lifter will not cause a Valve to bend. A broken Valve spring will. After all,the Valve has nothing to hold it in place if the Valve spring breaks, so it drops onto the piston. Thus the term: "I dropped a Valve."This is what causes a bent valve.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I know ,When it hits the piston :D As it is with every other Valve that has ever bent ;) Is the Valve spring broken? (that sounds like the problem) Failure of a Lifter will not cause a Valve to bend. A broken Valve spring will. After all,the Valve has nothing to hold it in place if the Valve spring breaks, so it drops onto the piston. Thus the term: "I dropped a Valve."This is what causes a bent valve.

Bill

From what I can tell, the spring is not broke. I thought about that too.

Vavle guide, even valve seat can drop and make a valve hang. Pulling the head and careful inspection of all the parts will have the answer as to what happened. You said the car sat for several years, could be the spring is "locked" or bound. Anything in the vavletrain or head could be suspect. Just need to pull the head and see.