I Can't Believe The Offer That I Got For My Old Broad

I had a very good offer for selling my Old Broad yesterday evening. And I turned down the offer.

I live in a ethnically diverse lower income neighborhood here in Atlanta. I've lived here for 7 years and have seen a lot of very bad and great things happen here. However I'm treated like everyones grand father, especially the kids, cuz I fix their bikes after their parents buy new tires, chains, etc. And I sit around and BS & drink beer with the local gang members, and families. I am friendly and treat all of the people with respect - even if some of them don't deserve it - and show a caring attitude about them. I sort of have to, cuz I'm one of the few whities in the neighborhood. But basically that's my nature anyway. They take care of and watch out for me. Having grown up, until I was 10, in the South East side of Chicago, I know the ropes of living and surviving in the "HOOD."

For instance, when I went on my road trips in the Old Broad the past couple of years, the local gang leader told me that he would watch my place and make sure nothing would happen to it. He did and nothing happened to it. I gave him a 30 pack of Bud before I left and the same when I got back to show my appreciation.

My Old Broad is known throughout the neighborhood. Whenever I have been working on her in my parking lot, someone always comes over, brings a beer and asks questions about her and what I'm doing and why. All of the kids in the neighborhhod have been told by their parents to not play around her and they are shagged away by the locals when they start playing too close to her.

About three years ago I was woken up about 3 AM by knocking on my front door. After they told me who they were through the door, I opened it up and there were 3 guys standing there. Two of them I knew and were part of the local gang. It seems as though they caught the third guy, who was not from the neighborhood, nosing around the Old Broad and my Komatsu Forklift company service van with a Slim Jim. They wanted me to take a look at them and make sure that nothing was damaged on them. Nothing was and I thanked them for looking out for me. They said "OK, we'll take care of this." The next day I went over and thanked the gang leader for what his guys did for me that previous night. I didn't ask questions and never saw the outsider again.

Well, yesterday early evening, I was vacuuming out the Old Broad's interior. The local drug lord came up to the car, gave me a beer and started BS'ing with me. He and I "SORT OF" know each other. He asked if he could hear her run. After a while, out of the sky, he offered me 10 Grand for the Old Broad!!! :huh: I smiled and politely turned him down and told him my youngest daughter gets the Old Broad when I croak, and that's it's even in my will.

He then upped the anti to 11 Grand. :huh: :blink: I laughed and told him my daughter would disown me if I sold "her" car, and the car isn't worth that amount of money, even without the damage to the drivers side front spoiler and the worn out drivers seat leather. He laughed, took out his wallet and then pulled out 12 grand in $1000 dollar bills and offered it to me. :blink: :wacko: :wacko:

I said that I appreciated his interest in buying the Old Broad, but I bought her brand new, watched her being delivered at the dealers, I have a lot of great memories that happened with her in the past 23 years, and she is like one of my kids and I couldn't sell her.

He said that he has always liked the looks of the Starquests, he'd heard that they were really fast and handled well, said some other nice things about the Old Broad, and that he wants to get one - and asked how much do I want for her if I was to ever sell it. I just laughed and said shes just not for sale but I really appreciated his interest and very generous offer to buy her.

He said that he understood and said, "But ya can't blame me for trying to buy her." I said no problem. We BS'd a while longer, and then he said good by got in his tricked out 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4 Pick up and drove away.

After he drove away, I waited a while, then I popped the hood and pretended I was cleaning the engine house and removed the IGN fusible link, disconnected and removed the parallel power line to the ignition switch and shut the hood. Although I don't think anything will happen, sometimes it's best to be proactive to make sure nothing does. As I was doing this I was thinking, "I can't believe that I just turned down at least 12 grand for the Old Broad."

Last night I was thinking more about the above. I could not disappoint my daughter by selling "her baby" and I don't want the Old Broad to end her days running drugs, no matter how much money he would have bought her for.

But I kept on wondering how high he would of went. :unsure:

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Great story. If it's the cars in general he likes you could've sent him to Craigslist in the ST Louis area. There's almost always a SQ for sale there. And with $10k to spend he could buy a decent starter and spend a few thousand getting it up to snuff. Just point him to one a different color than the old broad. Wouldn't want the cops hounding you for somebody else's mischief.

I know of a red auto that is in need of saving here in Macon. The kid bought it from Pancake and blew the transmission, bought most of the things for a manual swap, and has decided to sell the car. He wants $1,200 for it and everything he has for it, but you could probably offer him $800 bucks and he'd take it. He got a super speeder ticket in it, which is why he selling it, he needs the money to pay the ticket. :)

I know of a red auto that is in need of saving here in Macon. The kid bought it from Pancake and blew the transmission, bought most of the things for a manual swap, and has decided to sell the car. He wants $1,200 for it and everything he has for it, but you could probably offer him $800 bucks and he'd take it. He got a super speeder ticket in it, which is why he selling it, he needs the money to pay the ticket. :)

Sounds like the guy has enough money to not buy a dump :huh: You should find him a nice one and help him take care of it Pilot.

I can't get some one to take my old broad off my hands for free! :lol: j/k....the wife would kill me if she ever read my SQC threads! :lol:

I've lived in the "hood" before. As long as you show people respect, they return it right back. Not like the movies. It's actually been in the "hood" where I've had neighbors look out for one another, more so than uppity neighborhoods where everyone thinks their $H** don't stink.

Sounds like the guy has enough money to not buy a dump :huh: You should find him a nice one and help him take care of it Pilot.

Actually I would not do that. I have heard plenty of rumors and facts about him over the years which are mostly BAD. But hey, the guy was nice to me last evening and the other times I have been around him.

And knowing enough about the Starquests, I sure as hell would not find one for him, and then a month later he starts having trouble with it. Then he's knocking on my door telling me I said that this was a good 'Quest, when in fact, it was a piece of crap.

I want to enjoy living the few years that I have left with minimum stress, having all of my body parts in one piece and without any more holes in it than I was born with.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Might have taken that offer

the 1000 dollar bill has not been printed since 1945 and banks have not received them from the reserve since 1969

this is a highly collectable bill that the bank do not circulate anymore

in other words if he offered 12 1000 dollar bills you could ebay those 12 bills for an estimated 24+ thousand dollars (I would have sold it in a heartbeat)

just check out ebay and search 1000 dollar bill

Might have taken that offer

the 1000 dollar bill has not been printed since 1945 and banks have not received them from the reserve since 1969

this is a highly collectable bill that the bank do not circulate anymore

in other words if he offered 12 1000 dollar bills you could ebay those 12 bills for an estimated 24+ thousand dollars (I would have sold it in a heartbeat)

just check out ebay and search 1000 dollar bill

That's what I was wondering... not everyday you see a stack of Clevelands flashed in front of you.

I would have kept the car too!!

-Robert

WHAT crazy side of Lawrenceville do you live. I grew up here but MAN, either I am ignorant or, most likely, have never been to that hood.

I know a lot of crazies have moved into L'ville since I was young...

WHAT crazy side of Lawrenceville do you live. I grew up here but MAN, either I am ignorant or, most likely, have never been to that hood.

I know a lot of crazies have moved into L'ville since I was young...

I live in the area of Sugarloaf and US 29 in the neighborhood going South down Wabash.

Those $1000 bills are worth that much? :blink: Damn!!! If I had known that................

Nawh!!! I still would not have sold her to him.

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! He had more of 'em in his wallet too. Probably they were counterfeit! They looked almost brand new!!!!

SOB, he was trying to scam me!!! I would have given him the Old Broad for NOTHING. :angry: And my life would not have been worth a plugged nickel if I went to the cops to get the car back after I found out the bills were counterfeit.

I guess the Big Guy upstairs was looking out for me cuz I stuck to my loyalty & feelings about the Old Broad.

If those bills were counterfeit, it just proves, money ain't everything in life.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edit - I wish I could change the title of the post to "I can't believe the scam I got offered for my Old Broad. And I turned it down."

I live in the area of Sugarloaf and US 29 in the neighborhood going South down Wabash.

Oh I haven't been over there in a while.

Isn't that where that Suntrust was robbed about 2-3 years ago?

On Sugarloaf? YUP.

KEN

Yea, I know where you are talking about. Never knew it was such a "Hood" over there, but I have seen some shady looking folks over there one time when I went to look at a car for sale

Damn... I would have taken the money and ran. I can't even get an offer of 8 grand for my car. If I did, it would gone in a heartbeat. Since I got mine done I rarely drive it, and it's not much fun when there's nothing left to do to a car.

Ken why didn't you say well if you realy want one i can helpy you out i think i could find one for half that,, and help you out if you need any help

Shelby see my reply #11 and my OP. I do not want to be involved with the guy. I've heard too many negative things about him.

And see my reply #17. I am starting to think he was trying to rip me off with counterfeit $1000 bills. That's why he was so generous in his upping what he would pay for the Old Broad.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

well # 1 the banks don't give out $1000 bills to the average guy

This drug dealer is far from the average guy. He ain't a pusher. He is, according to his local rep, one of the mister bigs.

The drug business deals in large amounts of cash & carry only, at least that's what I have been told. Knowing about him and what he does, is why I did not think that it was unusual for him to carry the large demomination bills around in his wallet in the first place.

Now lets let this die. HUH?

KEN