Crisis!!!

Cole

So earlier today, I went out to napa to get some stuff for my dad's work car and my car ran perftectly fine like it has been for the past week. Now when I was about to go to the store to get some stuff, it died as soon as i put it in reverse. Since i've been back from the store, i got it started, but it had the roughest idle imaginable and was borderlining 100 rpm (i was still cranking) and once i gave it some gas, it just idled really miserable for a few seconds. It idled fine until i gave it some gas to see if would rev fine and jsut bogged down and never went past 2k. then i let it sit for a bit, started to move the throttle a bit and then it died. I haven't gotten it started after that. I did notice that the exhaust was a little bit white, but look average when you first start up the car in the morning i suppose.

So i thought maybe i t was to lean and had a vacuume leak or somehting. nothing. i haven't checked the fuel yet to see what it looks like.

just to keep in mind, the entire engine is rebuilt with a non-jet valve head, and a rebuilt turbo.

It was almost acting like one of the spark plugs was unhooked or something. I haven't checked the spark plugs to see what they look like, but everything looked like it was in order. Everything was looked fine.

What do you guys think?

what year is your car your ignigtor box could be on its way out or done gone, does the rpm gaudge bump up and down while your cranking? your distributer pickup could also be going bad..was your distributer also rebuilt when you rebuilt your engine?, i also know if theres any leaks in your ic piping that it will do that as brazilboy said, if your mas is unplged ital do that also...unless its an 86 i belevive they can run without the mas not sure tho

mine is an 88 mitsubishi starion. I don't believe that the coolant temperature is going to matter much. what should i do to check the ignition coil is going out? i do know that the distributer is good still. I think anyways. Would it all of a sudden die like that? it wasrunning fine yesterday and today when i got back from napa. Can i start the car with out any piping (mainly the ovcp) to see if the injector is even spraying?

Also, i'm going o buy some water remover stuff for the gas because i just tried this ga station that doesn't ahve any etheonal in it's tanks. The cashier didn't seem to know how old the tanks are and so now i'm skeptical about buying gas from their again. But i don't see why it would affect it now because i drove almost 100 mi yesterday just driving to break it in some and dropped it down 1/8 of a tank. (it's at 250 mi or so on it right now since it's been rebuilt)

Edited by Cole

mine is an 88 mitsubishi starion. I don't believe that the coolant temperature is going to matter much. what should i do to check the ignition coil is going out? i do know that the distributer is good still. I think anyways. Would it all of a sudden die like that? it wasrunning fine yesterday and today when i got back from napa. Can i start the car with out any piping (mainly the ovcp) to see if the injector is even spraying?

Also, i'm going o buy some water remover stuff for the gas because i just tried this ga station that doesn't ahve any etheonal in it's tanks. The cashier didn't seem to know how old the tanks are and so now i'm skeptical about buying gas from their again. But i don't see why it would affect it now because i drove almost 100 mi yesterday just driving to break it in some and dropped it down 1/8 of a tank. (it's at 250 mi or so on it right now since it's been rebuilt)

Coolant Temp Sensor can cause this issue... I am leaning towards inj. clips its very common issue with these cars..And its like a light switch from running good to running like crap...

take the ovpc pipe out and have somone try and start it the one furthest fom your vantage point (the black one) should spray it may start but i dont think it will almost positive it wont, http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1131 youll find how to test your pickup coil there 3/4 down the page, since your ignitor is an 88 model i doubt its bad, if your rpm gaudge is bumping up and down ...your pickup coil is working, hows your coil pack new? old? put a know good one in see what happens rember: fuel, spark, air, compression

Edited by ScooterDude92

i tried putting it in neutrtal also. the tranny was rebuilt but i was told 3rd hand with no paperwork to speak of so it's skeptical. i dont' know.

i will post an update when i grab some water remover.

Would it be safe to try and start the car with no ovcp to see if the injector even sprays?

So earlier today, I went out to napa to get some stuff for my dad's work car and my car ran perftectly fine like it has been for the past week. Now when I was about to go to the store to get some stuff, it died as soon as i put it in reverse. Since i've been back from the store, i got it started, but it had the roughest idle imaginable and was borderlining 100 rpm (i was still cranking) and once i gave it some gas, it just idled really miserable for a few seconds. It idled fine until i gave it some gas to see if would rev fine and jsut bogged down and never went past 2k. then i let it sit for a bit, started to move the throttle a bit and then it died. I haven't gotten it started after that. I did notice that the exhaust was a little bit white, but look average when you first start up the car in the morning i suppose.

So i thought maybe i t was to lean and had a vacuume leak or somehting. nothing. i haven't checked the fuel yet to see what it looks like.

just to keep in mind, the entire engine is rebuilt with a non-jet valve head, and a rebuilt turbo.

It was almost acting like one of the spark plugs was unhooked or something. I haven't checked the spark plugs to see what they look like, but everything looked like it was in order. Everything was looked fine.

What do you guys think?

morning steam you mean? or white sot on the inside of the exhaust?

unplug your MAF sensor check connection including pins, and reconnect

i worked at a gas station, 99% of people do not know the condition of the gas, all we know is its dropped off VIA truck, and its pumped out VIA customer. the vederroot unit does say how many inches of water there is in the 8000-10000 gallon tank, but most likely if it was water you already had it in your tank.\

do not add any fuel additives unless your filling it up too, your watering down the fuel, and leaning it out as well

I had something similiar happen about 5 years ago. Car ran fine then BANG out of nowhere ran like crap. She had the same symptoms that you described.

Pulled my hair out for about 3/4 hour trouble shooting in a parking lot. :mad: :( Then as a frustrated last resort I disconnected the battery ground wire terminal for about a minute, hooked it back up. Started her back up and she was her peppy old self again. :blink:

I think that the ECI ECU somehow got locked up and needed a "reboot."

She has not done it since.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

But my tank only has 1/8 tank gone from driving yesterday. So i shouldn't put any additives in? what if i grab some water remover and grab some octane booster say from lucas oil or something that doensn't have any cleaning agents? I will check my maf and clean all of the posts.

morning steam you mean? or white sot on the inside of the exhaust?

i mean morning steam and i will check my spark plugs

But my tank only has 1/8 tank gone from driving yesterday. So i shouldn't put any additives in? what if i grab some water remover and grab some octane booster say from lucas oil or something that doensn't have any cleaning agents? I will check my maf and clean all of the posts.

i mean morning steam and i will check my spark plugs

Also disconnect your neg battery terminal for about a minute as I noted above in reply #13. This takes, at the most, 5 minutes and may save you hours of work. ;)

For What It's Worth

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Where is Lyman,Wyoming ??? Never mind, I found it.

I'm in Billings, Montana.

You should come to our annual meet in October at Mesquite, Nv.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

in october? i will see if i can. I probably will. What date in october?

6.7.8.9 we will be leaving from Denver meeting my brother in the MTNs then another guy in Grand Junction, I have 2 guys joining up the convoy in Utah..So 5 or 6 conquests doing the run to Vegas...