What happen to starquesters looking out for starquesters???

Funsockstv

Well i bought a total of 5 MAS air sensors for my 86 from 2 differnt ppl and between both those oreders NOT ONE WORKED!!!

Kinda upset someone would lie to a meber to make a quick buck and now im in about 250$ in broken Mas Airs!!! wt....!!! kinda pissed

while your reading this at the moment i need an acordian boot... for and 86 if you have one, pm me

Well i bought a total of 5 MAS air sensors for my 86 from 2 differnt ppl and between both those oreders NOT ONE WORKED!!!

Kinda upset someone would lie to a meber to make a quick buck and now im in about 250$ in broken Mas Airs!!! wt....!!! kinda pissed

while your reading this at the moment i need an acordian boot... for and 86 if you have one, pm me

ever consider something else is the issue?

So was it $50 per MAS? or did those two people only charge you for two of them which would have been pretty pricey for each.

That really sucks....hopefully it isnt another problem instead? I take it your car is showing a mas code?

How do you know they don't work? If I test five used parts and all are "bad" I question my test method. If its just because your car still doesn't run good then that is not a test.

Scott

Well im trusting my mech knew what he was talking about as he loves his work on old import cars when i gave it to him it had a bad mas and i was waiting on it in the mail so he redid the dist and timed the car,, car runs better with mas unpluged, then plug in any one of those mas airsit runs but idles as low as 200 rpm and most of the time will stall and when driving it, i will try to hit the gas but it will just sputter... again with mas unpluged runs ok but not how it did back when i had a good mas, and i need the acordian boot because mine is cracked at the turbo and is hanging on buy a thread!!!

tell your mechanic to read up on these cars,, it idle better with mass unplug'd cause it goes into 'open loop' with fix'd premaps

low idle with mass plug'd in does not mean the air mass is bad it only means some other problem is being bandaid'd,

and the odds of you haveing 6 bad air mass's are very high, mill to 1 i'd guess

i've never seen a bad 86 air mass .

Actually, replace that accordian first. If its cracked and getting air from other sources, and that air ISN'T going through the MAS, you just found your problem. Its not reading more air and therefore not adding more gas.

Just my 2.6cents. ;)

and you can have 1 ,2 , 3 or 10 other things wrong at the same time :)

all makeing it look like some thing it's not

^This^

Listen to Shelby and the other veterans man. I'm still new to this myself, but just taking their advice has saved me money, time, and some blood even. ;)

Still think the accordion boot is half your problem.

Not trying to discredit your mechanic, but these cars are a rather unique breed. 19 out of 20 shops won't have anybody that understands or has experienced the workings of them. Many places won't touch them. Your best option with your car is to get a basic set of tools and get dirty yourself. SQC members have been through just about anything these cars are capable of, so you're in the right place for help, right here.

I would have started looking elsewhere after the first two mass air sensors. I bet that torn accordian boot is causing problems and there might be other problems in the mix.

i've never seen a bad 86 air mass .

X2 , never seen a bad one , the worst thing ive seen having owned so many of these cars is so called "mechanics" messing with them , find a qualified SQ diehard enthusiast , i bet the problem is in your injectors/injector plugs and nothing else , indeed ive always found the 86 cars to be the most reliable once the usual pre-owner lack of tune-ups and preventive maintenance has been attended to.

Well im trusting my mech

This is your problem, right here. I bet you $50 the guy has no idea what he's talking about, especially an 86 conquest (which is a year only injection system). Stop listening to your mechanic and start asking here. We know these cars; we live, breathe and fix these cars.

An 87,88,89 MAS does not work on an 86. A 1G MAS can work, but requires wiring modification, it's not plug and play.

Start telling us the symptoms and go through every last detail of what you've done to try and fix the problem. We'll help you diagnose it.

Edited by Elkidmino

ill start of with the boot and take it from there... most of the time i do the work on this car my self with the help of these threads... just finished my top end engine( HG replaced ) and the only reson i gave it to the shop to finish of the timing and the dist and all was because tis the season for this car i wanted it onthe road asap and i work full time already so it was going to slow thats why i let him do the tedious work... car runs good after its been started for about a min, but for the first min of running HOT OR COLD if you dont canoodle with the gas pedal it will shut off, with the mas pluged in it will do that the whole time

yeah your car need a acordian to connect the tb to the mas. If your running a ripped accordian than its sorta like not even having a mas...lol

My boss is the best mechanic in northern arkansas. He goes to springfield mo like everyother day for schools on new stuff and he cant even help me with these cars. and he was around them when he was younger...lol Listen to us and FIRE that lousy mechanic ;)

I'm not to sure about the 86's thats a different gremlin than the 87 up right guys?

Do you have a a/f gauge? Have you checked the temp sensor(s)? How about the fuel pressure? rebuild that tb and set the isc and tps for like 25 bones.

My 87 will idle around 1100 rpm in the morning till warm and then idle down (700-800). Yours should do the same.