tools needed for transmission removal/install

TheWormForEver

Can someone give me the rundown on all the tools needed for an 87 starion to remove and reinstall a manual transmission? I have to drive to my parents house to pick up the tools needed to do the job at my place where the starion is now. I have the clutch tool but I forget the sizes of sockets and wrenches needed...

Thanks Randy, btw that masterpiece of a motor you built me is doing the job just fine, I've shredded two transmissions with it now, one had less than 2k mi. On a fresh full rebuild. Guess I'm doing something right!

and/or shifting wrong, lol

The 4 bolts holding the transmission to the engine, as well as the starter bolts are 14s. You can use a basic ratchet for the bottom two, but iirc, with the manual tunnel, the top two and the starter bolts are a pita. On my friends car we used a hand ratchet. You will need a 12 for the 4 crossmember to chassis bolts, and a 10 for the speedo cable hold down. And i believe the trans mount to crossmember bolts are 17. You will also need a 12 for the shifter.

Basically do what randy said. Get a metric socket set if you can, or a 10, 12, 14, 17, etc in both socket and combo wrenches and all of the obvious ones.

Also, Drainpan for the gear oil, phillips scew driver for the transmission ground wire bracket(also for the center console removel). Peice of tape to hold the slave cylinder from popping apart. Two 14mm end wrenchs for the driveline to torque tube, A rag to stuff in the extension housing.(where the driveline comes out its wants to leak on you)

Basic hand tools will work...fancy ratchet wrenches make it a bit easier...but I like a bending/swivel ratchet handle with normal sockets. Just seems the handle is tougher and can take more torque before breakage.

Clutch tools like centering the bearing type tools..seal sets/puller etc.

Plenty of shop rags...collector bins (fluids and parts).

A floor jack will work, but I would add a strap to hold the trans securely to the jack for safety. Ziplock bags for the bolts/small parts...mark the bags as to where the bolts/small parts go to...easy install without hassles this way. Portable shop light is a very good idea. A can of PB Blaster for the rusty/cruddy bolts.

A helper is always welcome...handing out tools, steadying large/heavy parts..heck even making jokes helps make the job easier and can make a beer run!...lol

if you have no real desire to drain the trans ,say you already change'd the gear oil , you can tie the frt ujoint to the trans and leave the drive shaft on the trans , the back up lamp swt wires unplug to the left of the clutch slave , so no reason to loose any gear oil , as long as you do not roll the trans on it's side

if you do remove the back up swt ,,watch for the actuator ball ( 5/16" steel ball ) 100's have lost them http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif