noisy trans

michael hollen

I don't where else to ask this question but here! I have a 5 speed trans that seems to make a type of whining noise while going up through the gears, but nothing going down in gears----I have changed the gear oil to full synthetic(proper weight asked for from manual) prior to noticing the noise, the car has about 250,000 miles on it and as far as I know the trans has never been gone through, just clutch changes!

The manual transmissions actually take GL4, not GL5.

This is posted in the auto trans forum, but you say a 5 speed??

Sorry, there is no manual trans forum as far as I can tell, did not know where else to ask question!

GL5 is actually a grade above GL4, I always use that instead so it's just habit. But they both have the syncromesh additive.

ill have to get it, i too have synthetic in mine, and its got a slight whine in gears, but has a rumble in neutral if clutch it out, like a pilot bearing noise, but its not the pilot. clicks in reverse too

yes we needa a manual section lol

Sounds like bad bearings. It might last a long time if you don't pound on it, but it should be replaced or rebuilt. New bearings, and while it's apart, put new synchros in it. I think using synthetic is just fine, I have used that in all my trannies and they break from too much power or load changes while driving "aggressively" not normal use (which includes flooring it often).

I'd say abnormal use is a hard launch or lower gear engine braking in a road-race type situation. But somethimes they just go bad.

I'd say abnormal use is a hard launch or lower gear engine braking in a road-race type situation. But somethimes they just go bad.

I know other mitsu and chrysler trans last a few weeks without the syncromesh additive, so if the FSM calls for it I would say it's a safe bet to use it. Go to the 3000gt forums and find the threads where someone put synthetic fluid in a manual and ate the syncros in a matter of days.

I know other mitsu and chrysler trans last a few weeks without the syncromesh additive, so if the FSM calls for it I would say it's a safe bet to use it. Go to the 3000gt forums and find the threads where someone put synthetic fluid in a manual and ate the syncros in a matter of days.

Does it matter that the synthetic oil I used is GL5 and above rated?

GL5 is not an "upgrade" to GL4, it's a totally different fluid.

If it was just an upgrade, why would Mitsu have put GL5 in the diff, and GL4 in the trans? Wouldn't it have been alot easier and simpler to just have one type of fluid in the plant when building the cars?

GL5 fluid will eat "yellow metal" which in our case, is the brass synchro's.

GL5 is not an "upgrade" to GL4, it's a totally different fluid.

If it was just an upgrade, why would Mitsu have put GL5 in the diff, and GL4 in the trans? Wouldn't it have been alot easier and simpler to just have one type of fluid in the plant when building the cars?

GL5 fluid will eat "yellow metal" which in our case, is the brass synchro's.

I stand corrected, according to API specifications for GL4 and GL5: they are the same oil, but GL5 has twice the extreme pressure additive, this high concentration is what eats "yellow metal".

I misunderstood that part.

There are synthetics that can be used instead of GL4.. But be careful what you put into your trans. When in doubt, go to the dealer. It may be a bit pricey, but a trans rebuild costs a helluva lot more.

Or buy online: My shopping link

Thanks for all the help everyone! I changed the gear oil in trans and diff with the proper spec oil for each and seems to have gotten a little quieter, hopefully I didn't do any damage to the trans.