Warming up your car before driving

Killtodie

On the sq at least a couple of minutes and if cold maybe up to ten minutes.In the texas heat always set idle for a few minutes

before shutting down.On our newer cars at least a minute or so.Always like the mechanical fluids flowing

good.

I heard some good responses here. But my main question is more about driving the car immediately, even below 2k rpm vs. letting it idle for 30 second minimum before driving it slowly out.

Buy a Honda if you cant wait 2 minutes.

View PostKilltodie, on 23 February 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

I heard some good responses here. But my main question is more about driving the car immediately, even below 2k rpm vs. letting it idle for 30 second minimum before driving it slowly out.

Buy a Honda if you cant wait 2 minutes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: he HAS one

As soon as you have oil pressure, you can drive off within 15 seconds.

Tim

Even at 32 degrees or lower ambient temps.? Oil Pressure is one thing. Engine temperature is a completely different thing when attempting to drive a Starquest stone cold, even with a 1/2 or 3/4 reading on the Oil Pressure gauge.Example: It's -20 degrees outside. I started my car up and the Oil Pressure came up to 1/2 on the gauge in 30 seconds. Should I go ahead and take off in it? ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Sure. Mine runs fine at those temps, with the exception of the power steering howling. I just go easy till it builds up some heat, at which point the power steering stops howling too.

Granted I haven't driven it in 20 below temps, and I don't think many have, but I have driven it down to around 15 or 20 above. It always starts immediately, goes up to 1600 rpm, hangs for about 30 seconds, and comes down to 1100 till it warms fully, whereupon it goes to 900. It does this regardless of whether it is ten degrees or one hundred.

I maintain my position about when to move. If your car will not function at those temps, you have a problem. Electronic fuel injection, even as rudimentary as ours may be, should still run a car acceptably well at 20 below without much fuss.

At 20 below, I would drive away, but i would be very gentle, as I would want things to gently come up to temperature from being that cold. Like I said.....the drivelines will come to temp quicker, and more evenly as opposed to sitting around while the engine heats up.

Tim

When it's a COLD morning, I generally do let my engine run a bit (about 30 seconds) before engaging a gear. If I remember to, I'll go out and start it, then come back inside and eat breakfast. When I'm ready to head out the door to go to work at 7am, it'll have enough time to take the chill out of the cabin as well ;)

Guys stop going by what the gauge says. You have oil pressure as soon as you start cranking the engine. The stock gauge reacts SLOWLY. It takes a few seconds for the gauge to react to what the sender is telling it. If you had a mechanical gauge you would see almost instant oil pressure readings. In reality it takes less than a second to get full oil pressure once the key is turned.

Don't believe me, how long does it take for zero oil pressure to damage engine bearings? A minute at most? If it took 15 seconds to get full oil pressure then you could only start your engine around 4 times before it started self destructing.