hood latch broke

underpaidslave

pry bar http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif.

jk if you are talking about the hood latch in the car then take off the plastic and pull the cable with a needle nose. or crawl under the car and sick your hand up there and see if you can pull it out.

Well I think I know where it broke at, about 4" from the latch under the hood, I've thought about taking the front grill off but I don't know if I would need under the hood to take it off,might Just sawzall the latch and get hood pins .

Well I think I know where it broke at, about 4" from the latch under the hood, I've thought about taking the front grill off but I don't know if I would need under the hood to take it off,might Just sawzall the latch and get hood pins .

maybe the front grill is what they are calling the header...?

NO HOOD PINS ! ! !

The previous owner of my 88 did just that. The release cable broke and he installed pins. At one point he forgot to pin it and drove off, hood flew up, creased the hood, and mangled the metal cowl. That metal cowl is a weld-in piece. The grill pops out easy enough. You can probably also get ti the latch from under the car. DAD sells new cables, about $20.

you'll need a long pry bar to come in from under the car near the passenger side of the intercooler. if you use a flashlight you'll see the latch and see where to pry. it help to have someone on top to push down on the hood and relieve some of the tension on the assembly. its not easy but its not impossible. theres absolutely no need to cut anything or remove any panels.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76722&view=findpost&p=748340

See the Starquestr FAQ's. Great write ups on how to get the hood latch to release and install the new cable - and it even has pictures.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76722

I sincerely hope that you have not pulled the broken cable out of the sleeve/cable jacket, cuz if you have you are screwed getting a new cable through the existing cable jacket. ;)

And you do not want to have to install a new hood cable jacket cuz it's a REAL PITA.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

sounds like he did.

If he did pull the cable out of the jacket then he has opened Pandora's box in getting it fixed.

nanother thing I do not understand is why SQC Starquesters do not look at the Starquest FAQ's i-x.net and b2600/com and the FSM before they start doing things to correct broken stuff with their "quests. :(

For What It's Worth.

KEN

sounds like he did.

No I didn't I haven't even touched it yet, we got about 8" of snow Tuesday so I've been lazy, I know where it came undone because I noticed the cable was taped yes taped together I just didn't really think about it... Good job me I guess, we'll see what needs to be done. I have a few issues I don't know how to fix...

nanother thing I do not understand is why SQC Starquesters do not look at the Starquest FAQ's i-x.net and b2600/com and the FSM before they start doing things to correct broken stuff with their "quests. :(

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Because it is easier to ask us than doing the hard work themselves ;)

Bill