Issues

komposa1

I have a 86 Starion Esi-R..all original..Got from the original owner who took out a home loan just to get it in 1986

at the time she bought it the car only had 2k mile on it.. I have every receipt of this car from 86 up to date.. the turbo system has been completely redone (less then 500 mile on it) all the vacuum lines has been done,hoses,dist cap and rotor,plugs,wires,oil change,air filter,new clutch and tranny redone..

My issue is when you first drive it the power is dead on until it warms up and it hits 25 lbs of boost the power just drops out.. as if someone just turned it off...I first though it was the CAT on the exhaust but that was checked,there is no leaks in any hoses nor the lines... the shop said it is the camshaft sensor but this car do not have one...

So If I can not found the issue I will just pull motor and tranny out put a small block chevy with tranny in it, rebuild the 2.6 liter in it inside and out and use a EFI intake instead of the TFI. Any comments holla' at me komposa@gmail.com

Edited by komposa1

25 pounds of boost on the 12a on a bone stock car? that's a horrible idea....20 is too high. 15 pounds is about the efficiency for the 12a...and 25 pounds will burn your motor out real fast...turn that down=P lol and that without a BOV will kill the 12a too. Check the TPS and just do a run over of all the sensors making sure thye're good.

25psi on a stock system!??!?! what the hell are you trying to do. honestly, the 12a is lucky to run 15psi before you just start pumping heat and your power drops. and you're probably hitting fuel cut OR you're completely maxing out the injectors on the 86.

turn down the boost before you grenade your engine. 25psi on a stock set up, you'll be lucky if you get 4 more months out of it.

run it at 13psi until you can get a better turbo and upgrade your fuel system.

25lbs on a mostly stock car? You're about to have bigger problems than just a power loss. Well, you'll have a power loss, but it will be ALL of the power that you lose.

I have a 86 Starion Esi-R..all original..Got from the original owner who took out a home loan just to get it in 1986

at the time she bought it the car only had 2k mile on it.. I have every receipt of this car from 86 up to date.. the turbo system has been completely redone (less then 500 mile on it) all the vacuum lines has been done,hoses,dist cap and rotor,plugs,wires,oil change,air filter,new clutch and tranny redone..

My issue is when you first drive it the power is dead on until it warms up and it hits 25 lbs of boost the power just drops out.. as if someone just turned it off...I first though it was the CAT on the exhaust but that was checked,there is no leaks in any hoses nor the lines... the shop said it is the camshaft sensor but this car do not have one...

So If I can not found the issue I will just pull motor and tranny out put a small block chevy with tranny in it, rebuild the 2.6 liter in it inside and out and use a EFI intake instead of the TFI. Any comments holla' at me komposa@gmail.com

I gotta take a shot at this. I need you to explain it in more detail. what boost gauge r u using? the stock one? how did you get your car to run 25psi?

when you say the power drops out, do you mean, "at 25psi the power drops out", or, "once i hit 25psi, the car has very little power for the duration of driving, regardless of boost afterwards".

because i'm not sure if you mean that you boost it to 25psi, then, from that point as you drive it around, the car has no power and you have to turn it off and let is sit. or do you mean, that you're boosting 25psi and then the powerband of the motor drops off.

these are two different scenarios and your original post isn't 100% clear.

Edited by patra_is_here

You guy smell that? I smell that. Man, it's a familiar smell........

Oh, yeah, I know what it is.....it's bullstinky!

Tim

if it's an 86, since it's running the maf and map, it's possible for some really weird things to happen. the MAF could be metering it completely incorrectly, and therefore sending a signal to the stock boost gauge that is incorrect, but, the car would still run OK because the MAP would be doing the work, which is why the car is able to boost. and, if the shop that suggest to replace the cranks sensor is the same shop that did the vacuum lines, the waste gate actuator might not be hooked up right, and then the car would over boost, at which point the MAP sees anything above 14psi and the car goes in to fuel cut.

how is this going to account for his loss in power?

So you think that he should be able to run 25psi on pretty much a stock car, and that something else is the problem?

Seems to me, if this guy is real, the first step would be to lower the boost to where it's supposed to be and see if there are any problems then and go from there.

So you think that he should be able to run 25psi on pretty much a stock car, and that something else is the problem?

Seems to me, if this guy is real, the first step would be to lower the boost to where it's supposed to be and see if there are any problems then and go from there.

should NOT run 25psi. but we're all assuming he's actually running 25psi. we've all started trouble shooting this without covering a few basics first. we haven't really figured out what the actual issue is yet.

all we know something says 25 and then the car has no power.

I have a 86 Starion Esi-R..all original..

if its all original it has the stock fuel pump, prob a couple of nearly cloged fuel filters, no wideband, tell me he can run 25lbs safely with a 12a i highly doubt that

i would say if its actually running 25lbs it is getting lean and surging badly that would be my guess

Edited by ScooterDoob92

if its all original it has the stock fuel pump, prob a couple of nearly cloged fuel filters, no wideband, tell me he can run 25lbs safely with a 12a i highly doubt that

thats my point exactly. if it's all stock, it can't boost above 14psi because the 86's have a fuel cut driven by the MAP sensor. if it's all stock the wastegate would open at 7psi. if it's all stock, the fuel injectors on the 86 are gonna max out around 19psi.

so either it's not all stock, or there's something else going on.

major fuel cut=P mine is like 12 pounds on my 86...

My '86 cut right about 12-14psi too. Then I got the FCD

I always thought the 12a would turn into a flame thrower at 18psi! ... 25!? I'm not even sure that's possible without immediate consequences.

Where are ya buddy? Holla Back! :)

Edited by psu_Crash