Time to upgrade my daily driver

Truth

Its an Audi. They have VW motors so of course they arent going to be reliable http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif. Audi and VWs burn more oil then any car Ive seen. Boosted(Jason) worked at JiffyLube and those things came in all the time without any oil on the dipstick. I will say tho the VR6 motor is just bad. Makes a decent amount of power but o0o0ohh the sound she makes is amazing! http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Now Im not an Audi fan by any means. Its just a more expensive crappy VW IMO. Id take a BMW over and Audi any day. Much more engineering in a BMW then an Audi. Although Audis interior is amazing. And If I had the chance to own a S4 Avant wagon Id get one in a heart beat....

Audi V6 are different than the VW's in everyway...They are wideblock and have no issues with oil...My friend had a 98 A6 that I did the oil changes on for him for it would go 5k between oil changes without needing any oil at all...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090317082840AAb5jAg

I realize this is strange advice from a guy who is about to add a third Jaguar to his yard, but I would not touch an Audi or a VW, especially not a recent model. From a reliability standpoint, they are crap, and there have been no exceptions in my personal experience.

My father-in-law had one of the New Beetles. Electrical system makes old Lucas Jaguar stuff look like NASA. First cousin had a Jetta. It never spent a consecutive 10,000 miles without having to go in for major surgery. Co-worker had one of the newer convertibles based on the Golf line. Her windows and headlights wouldn't always work, and then out of the blue lost a computer to a massive short circuit and the repair bill was $2k-plus.

The only Volkswagen I'd consider owning is a Corrado, and even those have their issues. I'd rather own an old Alfa Romeo, and yes I'm being serious. I don't care how fast/smooth they feel.

Jess

LOL....I've had a couple Audis with no oil issues whatsoever. Our current V8 goes 10K between oil changes with no usage or burning at all. The VW cars that were built in Mexico are known for reliablility issues....namely the golf and jetta-based chassis from a few yrs back.

Both of mine were and have been good cars. A couple things here and there, but nothing that has left me upset.

Now to say a "BMW has blah blah blah 52x more engineering in it" is ludicrous....LOL They are on par with each other, and with Mercedes Benz as well. Especially the newer models.

If you stepped up to an A6, you'd have more room, quality, and options for around the same price.

Turborusty

I realize this is strange advice from a guy who is about to add a third Jaguar to his yard, but I would not touch an Audi or a VW, especially not a recent model. From a reliability standpoint, they are crap, and there have been no exceptions in my personal experience.

My father-in-law had one of the New Beetles. Electrical system makes old Lucas Jaguar stuff look like NASA. First cousin had a Jetta. It never spent a consecutive 10,000 miles without having to go in for major surgery. Co-worker had one of the newer convertibles based on the Golf line. Her windows and headlights wouldn't always work, and then out of the blue lost a computer to a massive short circuit and the repair bill was $2k-plus.

The only Volkswagen I'd consider owning is a Corrado, and even those have their issues. I'd rather own an old Alfa Romeo, and yes I'm being serious. I don't care how fast/smooth they feel.

Jess

I agree with Jess.

The up-keep on that car will set you back. When it's running good, it's real good. But when things go bad, they go real bad. The only way I'd buy that car is if it was brand new, that way I know I'd have some before the crap hits the fan. Have you ever priced a European Mechanic? And there's a reason why they only work on European cars. At around 80k miles, I'd expect you to need one. Some may not agree with me, these are just my observations.

European cars typically feel and drive differently then all other cars. Some people fall in love with that. And yes, I've owned a few European cars. It will be a long long long time before I get another one.

I will own an S2k one day... but now I would really rather have a sports sedan of some sorts. It has to be manual tranny though. This particular Audi I'm looking at was bought new at this dealership and ALL the work and scheduled maintenance has been done at that dealership. He showed me the documentation to prove it. I can't find any 6-speed Infinity's that are in my price range. I really wanna go drive one though.