Whats a good material to use?

Coke

I haven't done any looking around, so I don't know what I can find or where. I am very interested in rebuilding my hatch cover. The problem is, where do I find the cardboard material or similiar, that is used? I don't want to use wood because I wanna keep the weight down. Yet it needs to be able to support itself so it doesn't sag/crack, like the original ones do over time.

Anybody familiar with cardboard/fiberboard materials?

Edited by Coke

Yeah, you can even find that fiberboard stuff at like Home Depot and Lowes, but it isn't really bendable to create the curve the stock one has. I have also used a little fiberglass matting, resin and paint and have been able to repair stock ones that were desintegrating.

If you're not really concerned with keeping the stock shape, then just buy some fiberboard, 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and the carpet/vinyl/fabric you want and use the stock cover as a template to cut your fiberboard pieces. You could possibly even transfer all your stock hardware to the new piece. Use the spray adhesive to glue the material to the fiberboard and you're done.

Edited by Burton

i used some plywood for my backseat delete, its only about a 1/8 thick and i bet it wouldnt weigh anymore then a stock hatch cover would. the wood is really no thicker then the cardboard templete i made.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/BlackQuest/car048.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/BlackQuest/car049.jpg

Edited by cyberquest

Yeah, you can even find that fiberboard stuff at like Home Depot and Lowes, but it isn't really bendable to create the curve the stock one has. I have also used a little fiberglass matting, resin and paint and have been able to repair stock ones that were desintegrating.

If you're not really concerned with keeping the stock shape, then just buy some fiberboard, 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and the carpet/vinyl/fabric you want and use the stock cover as a template to cut your fiberboard pieces. You could possibly even transfer all your stock hardware to the new piece. Use the spray adhesive to glue the material to the fiberboard and you're done.

The stock ones are flat, when new. They have hinges to be able to fold up.

The stock ones are flat, when new. They have hinges to be able to fold up.

They were not flat when new. The back hinged piece has a little curve that flares up at the back. All 3 mint ones I have here have them as well as the package shelves that were in my dad's 86 and 87 when they were brand new. Maybe the pre 86 ones were all flat but every package shelf I've ever seen out of any SQ has the flared up curve at the back.

I can get a pic if you want.

Yeah man, they aren't flat. I've had mint cargo covers in all my SQ's. The rear section has a weird bow in it.

Try getting some lewon plywood. It's nice and thin and will work great I think.

Mark, You ever tried heating that stuff a bit with a heat gun? I know it isnt gonna move alot but at work when we have a kevlar nose that needs changed a bit or sometimes figerglass parts that need a bit of shape, we can sometimes heat them a bit and get them to form a little different. I wonder if you could do that with the fiberboard also? We use the fiberboard to stiffen the sheetmetal sides on our cars, maybe I will grab some scrap and try it. Also, got any updates for me? My painter will be back in town next week, so it shouldnt be long before I get the car over to him.

BC_99

Mark, You ever tried heating that stuff a bit with a heat gun? I know it isnt gonna move alot but at work when we have a kevlar nose that needs changed a bit or sometimes figerglass parts that need a bit of shape, we can sometimes heat them a bit and get them to form a little different. I wonder if you could do that with the fiberboard also? We use the fiberboard to stiffen the sheetmetal sides on our cars, maybe I will grab some scrap and try it. Also, got any updates for me? My painter will be back in town next week, so it shouldnt be long before I get the car over to him.

BC_99

I never tried to use heat on it, that not a bad idea depending what that stuff is held together with, I'm not really sure. I did try using water to soften it before and curve it a bit, then let it dry forced into that shape. It made it hold the shape somewhat but it weakened the fiberboard a bit and eventually it just fell apart. Maybe heat is the trick. I'll have to try that sometime.

Oh, and I'll PM ya now.

What you're looking for is called "masonite" It's a dense wood/cardboard like material. They sell it at every home improvement store.

Now if you want to shape it like the origional then make a template out of plywood that is similar in shape to the hatch cover. Then get the masonite soaking wet. I don't mean just spray it with water for a second. Keep wetting it until the water soaks in and the masonite becomes plyible. Then lay it on the template and clamp it down. When it dries it will stay in the shape of the template.

edit, added more clarification

Edited by ucw458

i used a piece of panelling like from a wall panel in the house. its the stuff that is kinda a cheap wood look and was pretty popular in the 70's i took a piece out of a old mobile home i was doing some remodeling in. i opted to just simply leave mine flat and not worry with the curve. it looks fine and only us purist will ever pay it any attn. its about 1/8" thick or just a touch better but plenty sturdy and works great. when you rip all of the old fiberboard off at the hinge, youll see the hinge is actually just a piece of vinyl clamped under a strip of metal that grabs the vinyl and the carpet, you need to use a grinder or something to get those old rivets out of there. i ran a drill thru them and made them open up to 1/4" holes instead of the whatever like 3/16" holes, just so i could go buy standard nuts and bolts to put it back with. i bought the rounded phillips head bolts and gave them all a drop of loctite to be sure it wouldnt come back apart on me. the rounded bolts hide under the carpet and you dont notice it.

Carbon fiber!

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10168/bunny_pancake.jpg

(kidding. I have no idea what I'm talking about)

You need this picture then.http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Justin, I'd use MDF.

Colinhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif