REBUILD

VICE

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL wow that is very funny! As I may somehow agree with some of your opinions people, I am also very pleased with how far this particular SQ has come and has taken me I love it! There was an exhaust leak on the turbo 5 hole flange to Downpipe as I lastly used one of those crappy metal gaskets ( I have heard before to just clamp steel onto steel) well the gasket leaked so thats now gone and there was a leak on the WasteGate flange adapter custom job lol too, it is going to get welded some more tomorrow morning (want the spacer flange from wastegate to manifold welded on there permanently) and have one less gasket to use, also getting two copper gaskets after the weld to seal the WG onto the mani and DP well and leak free! That should improve the gas mileage some ;) Edited by VICE

• 2 months later...

I try not to judge much on peoples cars because every one has there own view on how there car should look. This build started with a very good looking shp car for its age and was getting some good mods. Then after i look threw page and page of this build i see this car getting worse and worse. Every time i didnt think it could get worse it does. There's a lot of things i would have NOT done but its not my car but the jb weld is just plane stupid. There is no reason for that. You have all this money in a motor and turbo and you cant pay a guy to tig weld aluminum. I dont understand the undercoating on the bumper and air dam. Its your car but i wouldn't except a lot of positive feed back from people on here.

Well I agree with everybody about the JB weld and it WILL be fixed soon it is only temporary, altho it is holding and pulling it's weight. I actually got a local member who's got a welder both mig and tig that modified the new ebay SS turbo mani and who is gonna make the new downpipe next week, he can tig those tiny pin size holes on the Magna. As far as everything else, especially the rims, is a matter of opinion with what one likes. The truck bedliner on the ram air and the black spray painted front panel with the cut vents can all be fixed the day I decide to get a REAL paint job.. And this SQ has been through a lot with me and many miles so normal wear and tear has worn out the paint on the front and other things so our little mods have made it look better than it was. Edited by VICE

• 4 weeks later...

Well the new and upgraded (Ebay) SS Turbo Manifold is finally finished and installed, drove the car around yesterday everything seems cool, the last current tune on the MS is working out alright, I haven't even floored it yet, with about 2100 miles in on her now. I fill up at a gas station and I notice leaking from the left rear, whoops rubber coupler that's been there for a few years finally gave out so I went to CarQuest and got 9 IN. of some stubbed steel reinforced gas neck filler hose to put in there.. Anyhow here's some pics of what the new Turbo Mani AND Downpipe looks like, welding and the fabrication of the new DP courtesy of my man Torrence (DIEHARDMITSUBISHI) a local SQ'ster.. Thanks for the hook up at my house!

DSC01005.JPG

DSC00909.JPG

DSC00910.JPG

DSC00911.JPG

DSC00912.JPG

An aluminum plate to cool down the WideBand readings some, also new sensor.

DSC00913.JPG

DSC00914.JPG

I sold the old Tial Wastegate on craigslist for $150! And got the new stile V-Band on Ebay for $250!

DSC00916.JPG

DSC00918.JPG

I didn't like the way this Mani (and others that I've seen) sit the turbo up so high and close to the valve cover, so we firstly cut off the T3 flange and grinded down the runner tubes a good half inch or so and angled them away from the valve cover, all and all for what it was worth, I'd have been better off getting JC's Manifold lol tho this cost just slightly cheaper and we got the angle that I wanted..

DSC00698.JPG

DSC00699.JPG

DSC00700.JPG

DSC00702.JPG

DSC00703.JPG

Had to use an even shorter stud to fit that manifold in the corner.. This is where it would have sit if left unmodified..

DSC00718.JPG

V-Banded the end of the Downpipe as well..

DSC00720.JPG

Again this is how it would have sat, straight from Ebay.. That Mani to Head flange had a nasty warp too! ..Ebay..

DSC00721.JPG

DSC00722.JPG

Will post a pic of how it sits now later on today..

DSC01006.JPG

DSC01008.JPG

Edited by VICE

Well I dropped the fuel tank to have a look since it still leaks when I fill er up and only when the tank is full. The leak wasn't coming from the filler neck hose and I can't see a hole anywhere and I had replaced all those lines on top the fuel tank as well, I believe the plastic U shaped container is leaking from somewhere.. Can that U shape box be eliminated along with the other vent hoses and nipples capped? And only run a Send line and the Return line? I recently got a replacement stock like gas cap from auto zone that I think is vented..

DSC01013.JPG

DSC01012.JPG

DSC01011.JPG

DSC01010.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
So there's still a slight leak from ontop of the fuel tank somewhere.. Only leaks when I fill er up.. Otherwise, the SQ is running strong and boosting well, went up to Daytona a few times this last week including tonight but it started raining so we headed back, my friend Jimmy in his S2000, I have got to get my arse to a Dyno cuss this feels like 400HP no lie.

Oh yeah! ;)

DSC01018.JPG

DSC01019.JPG

That Air Conditioning compressor blows nice and cold air I just replaced ALL the O rings both in the engine bay and inside the cabin in the cooling unit, these shall last say another 2 decades..

DSC01024.JPG

Spanking Tial BOV with a 11 psi spring in there, I shoulda started with a lower vaccuum rated spring cuss I think there is some compressor surrggee so I was thinking going with a 7 or 8 psi spring rated for around 12 psi vac.

Edited by VICE

Is that spray foam in the firewall??? Thats ........

Thats....also more jb weld in one engine bay than I've used in my life.....anywhere...I've never even seen this much.........this much......

Oh yeah! ;)

DSC01018.JPG

DSC01019.JPG

That Air Conditioning compressor blows nice and cold air I just replaced ALL the O rings both in the engine bay and inside the cabin in the cooling unit, these shall last say another 2 decades..

DSC01024.JPG

Spanking Tial BOV with a 11 psi spring in there, I shoulda started with a lower vaccuum rated spring cuss I think there is some compressor surrggee so I was thinking going with a 7 or 8 psi spring rated for around 12 psi vac.

its not the spring, i run the same BOV and i have tried ever spring they make. your vacuum line is to small if you look on tial's website it says you need a 1/4inch line and they are not kidding. find somewhere to run a 1/4inch vacuum line and that thing should work great if you cant get a 1/4 inch line its really kinda hopeless...

DOOODE That is stellar use of zipties! I never thought about using them to hold my IAT sensor in!!! Way more holding power over my setup. Lots of good stuff in here! I dont know what everyone else is talking about. Keep up the stupendous work!

Thanks guys! Hey On4now4 I will try a bigger vacuum line 1/4 In. and see if it helps, possibly on the wastegate and boost controller as well? As I am running 3.4 mm red silicone lines if I am not mistaken... Also Indiana said something about the line going right under the Magna plenum is not the best place to place vacuum ports but on the IC pipes instead.. ? Edited by VICE

Thanks guys! Hey On4now4 I will try a bigger vacuum line 1/4 In. and see if it helps, possibly on the wastegate and boost controller as well? As I am running 3.4 mm red silicone lines if I am not mistaken... Also Indiana said something about the line going right under the Magna plenum is not the best place to place vacuum ports but on the IC pipes instead.. ?

just make sure the barb is also 1/4 inch or it still wont work right... i would say plenum would be a better place to run it but i don't have mpi so idk

just make sure the barb is also 1/4 inch or it still wont work right... i would say plenum would be a better place to run it but i don't have mpi so idk

I ordered some nice red silicone 1/4 vacuum line on ebay but it's coming from Hong Kong so it will take like 2 weeks.. I found a few feet of 1/4 gas line laying around and I tried it with that on both the BOV and the Wastegate but it still does a slight compressor surge when I'm slowly boosting up the RPM's and a slight back and forth surge on WOT but the WideBand is reading 10.9 so we're good on the AFRs..

I'm thinking about trying an 8 or 9 psi spring on the BOV but if what you are saying is true it will still act up.. The Bard or Copper Nipple with the right threading on the Turbo and the one I am using under the plenum are not super skinny but they might not be 1/4 ...

Edited by VICE

Yes I've looked at those charts online, my engine vacuum at idle is about 15 which suggests possibly the 8 or 9 psi springs, I have a 7 psi spring in there now and I bought the Tial with the 11 psi spring in it which suggests to use when engine vvacuum is like 22 at idle, well mine is at about 15 but when I push the clutch in when driving the vac goes up to 20 psi..

I understand its your car and all, but I hope you come to your senses soon. JB weld cant be gotten out of all the small pores in aluminum, so when you do get around to having that mess scraped off and welded properly, it will be a mf'er to weld. The rest of the welds look like a blind, drunk monkey got loose with a stick welder. It is pathetic. Dont let the idiot who did that near your car again. I feel sorry for your car, but its yours to ruin as you choose. Im not hatin on you or your ideas or the effort. The finshed product leaves a bit to be desired.

BC_99