Tried watching World Cup ENG vs. USA

Mazarin

Maybe it was the announcers, maybe it was because I turned it on in the middle of the match. Or maybe it's because this game is more boring than watching an old person try to have a bowel movement.

I've tried watching soccer before, like during the Olympics, and even way back in 94 when the World Cup was in Chicago. I figure there's GOTTA be a reason why this is the world's most popular game. I just can't figure it out. It makes baseball look like lightspeed compared to soccer's pace.

I just don't get why it's so popular.

Well when you find out let me knowhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif , I am wondering the same thing.

Soccer is the poor mans sport...since most of the globe is poor it becomes part of the culture..I recall as a kid in Brazil..Playing for hours on end..

All you needed was a ball...and that was it put up a couple cans as goal posts and off you went..

Here for baseball= Mit, Bat, Ball, and an ability to scratch your nutz nonstop for 3 hours..

Basketball= ball, court and be able to say yo 200 times in a row..

Hockey= well you know, plenty stuff and don't mind having a toothless smile, I do like hockey BTW

American Football= is the cheapest here as all you need is a ball....other than the bad injuries its fun. ask my knees about it

Before I get the haters hatin..I did play all your sports,some very well too, but all I can stand to watch is football and hockey here...the rest is well the rest

I am from Brazil so obviously I do watch the game along with most of the planet..

But don't worry folks with the economy the way it is most of the US sports will be gone in 10 years..so see y'all at the soccer pitch

Being from Scotland I'm naturally a big fan of the game but like most sports you have to learn to understand the rules and tactics to enjoy it best.

Soccer aka football(!) is hugely popular because it is every man's sport like Roberto says, especially in his part of the world where it's worshipped and only slightly less so in Europe!

When I emigrated over here in 1995 I could not stand American Football because I did not understand what was going on. Now I do know what's going on with Shotguns, Hail Mary's etc. I love it! Baseball though, that's another story. I'm afraid I'd rather watch paint dry than watch baseball.http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

Colinhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

Americans watching soccer just want to see the goals ,that's it !, as for baseball, the rest of the world feels the same way as you do about soccer , YAWN ! :D

I think Americans would like watching soccer on TV better if the camera stayed focused on the ball in the way that on televised hockey games the camera stays focused on the puck. The wide angle shots that show half of the field make the game seem slow. With the wide angle shots the viewer misses alot of the skill of the high level professional players. I perfer to go to a hockey game rather than watch it on TV however.

Add that to the most people see it as a kids sport as they never played it themselves, but their kids play it. So they are used to watching beginners play.

And, Americans like to know when the action is going to happen e.g. The center snaps the football so pay attention now, the pitcher pitches the ball so pay attention now, the player is about to putt the golf ball for a birdie so pay attention now.

Americans will never enjoy a game that can end in a tie. We want clear cut winners and losers.

You have a good point there Chip.

In football (soccer!) if it's a league or in this case the World Cup, a section, it's the total number of points accrued by the team that will decide the winner.

Also, if a game ends and a clear winner is needed (like a final), 30 minutes extra time will be played. If there still a tie it comes down to penalty kicks.

Colinhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

I don't think the rules have anything to do with it. I know what the point of the game is, I know what you can or can't do. I think the problem is you've got 10 players on a field the size of small country and not enough action going on where the ball is. On top of that, I can't comprehend that when the goal is the size of a semitruck trailer, you don't average 25 goals a game.

if you watch the ball soccer can seem boring. The game is like chess, the movements away from the ball is what I watch. Its not just chase the ball around which is what most people that never played soccer seriously think. Its about setting up for two movements ahead. A great goal in soccer was set two passes before.

I played soccer from pee-wee through 8th grade including a few club teams, but find it not as entertaining to watch as many other sports. There's just less frequent action and plays that appear to demonstrate the skill that's actually involved.

My biggest beef is the RIDICULOUS flopping and faking of injuries that these "professionals" resort to in efforts to get a call. It's the wussiest, crybaby, unsportsmanlike thing I've EVER seen. Sure there's players like John Starks, Paul Pierce, Rando, etc. who also whine, but not rolling around crying in "agony" only to be up and playing full speed 20 seconds later. Yellow cards for flopping appear to be issued about as often as a lane violation in basketball. It's the ref's fault for supporting such blatantly poor behavior.

That and those HORNS!!! The sound of a hornets nest for 2 straight hours is not cool with me. Other than those 2 irritations, I still like the World Cup and support it fully.

ESPN had a good expose' on the lack of finality in passing anti-human trafficking laws in S. Africa prior to the WC beginning. Too bad, it was really horrific the things that country lets occur within their boarders.

I may sound like a Negative Nancy, but love me some soccer. Probably love playing it more than watching. I'd still rather play American football b/c I like hitting people =) Both are much better in a rainy muddy field too =)

Edited by mstieg

I tried watching it to and not only was it boring the damn vuvuzela's drove me nuts. It sounded like a swarm of freaking bees and it never quit, like it sounded the same when somebody made a nice shot as it did when they were not doing anything.

Oh and Brazilboy the theory about the poor playing I dont think is true. All you need is a ball for basketball, you can make a makeshift hoop just like you did with your makeshift soccer goal. Same with baseball, you dont have to have a glove or a real bat, a peice of wood and something that resembles a ball is all you need.

Edited by Hoosierquest

its similar to hockey as there is more going on then what is occurring where the ball/puck is.

you have to be able to see the entire play develop and those aren't always displayed.

and yes i know hockey is a much faster paced game