Torque Tube Nut size

psu_Crash

Heading out today to get some much needed large sockets. What size is the torque tube nut? I want to make sure the set I get has what I need. The nut on the rear diff appears to be a 30mm right?

Just get some standard sockets in 1" - 1 1/4" 5 sockets total and I have used them on lots of big jobs. One of those sizes fits perfectly on the rear hubs and TT. I know it sounds like I'm telling you to get the wrong stuff since it's standard not metric but trust me they work on alot more than just SQs.

Im not sure but I think it is 30mm. 1-3/16" is just a little bigger but works. Do yourself a favor and get 6 point sockets if you can. I just noticed the set suggested was 12.

It's worth noting for everyone's info that even with that 12pt socket being a little loose there is no risk of stripping the fastener. With hardware that big even an impact wont strip it. My inpact puts out 500 Ft lbs at 90 psi, I'm running 170 psi through it and even with the sae 12 pt socket I can't strip the TT nut.

i was thinking it was a 27mm and the oil adapter bolt was a 30mm. could be wrong. i think larrys car has the driveshaft out and so does my 88 out back. i know i have a specific 27mm i bought for something on the quest, pretty sure it was for the TT.

Im not sure but I think it is 30mm. 1-3/16" is just a little bigger but works. Do yourself a favor and get 6 point sockets if you can. I just noticed the set suggested was 12.

i don't think craftsman makes a 6pt set. i'm not saying they don't exist but i wouldn't pay double for them.

I know for a fact that Harbor freight has a complete set of deep and shallow well 6 point impact sockets from 10mm to 30 mm with the usual exception of 18 mm. They were about $35/set.

You may laugh at those Harbor Freight sockets, but I beat the living snot out of 'em for over 6 years while I worked for Volvo Heavy Contruction Equipment and Komatsu Forklift. NEVER had a problem. Many many bolts were torqued to 600 or more FT LBS.

I have the same two socket sets in regular Chrome Vandium sockets too. NEVER split one of 'em either.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Cant find em, Cant afford em, or just dont care. It was a suggestion.

Cant find em, Cant afford em, or just dont care. It was a suggestion.

My comment wasn't to put you down dude. It was merely an observation from past experiences. And yes I always try to buy 6 pt when I can. My large sockets I got from a used tool store for a couple bucks each so there wasn't much of a selection.

i was thinking it was a 27mm and the oil adapter bolt was a 30mm. could be wrong. i think larrys car has the driveshaft out and so does my 88 out back. i know i have a specific 27mm i bought for something on the quest, pretty sure it was for the TT.

I think you are right because I have a 30mm and it's too big. I'll let you know for sure when I get one.

I know for a fact that Harbor freight has a complete set of deep and shallow well 6 point impact sockets from 10mm to 30 mm with the usual exception of 18 mm. They were about $35/set.

You may laugh at those Harbor Freight sockets, but I beat the living snot out of 'em for over 6 years while I worked for Volvo Heavy Contruction Equipment and Komatsu Forklift. NEVER had a problem. Many many bolts were torqued to 600 or more FT LBS.

I have the same two socket sets in regular Chrome Vandium sockets too. NEVER split one of 'em either.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

The Harbor Freight socket sets are dirt cheap but are made of low quality materials. Just a word of caution if using an impact gun, be sure to wear eye protection as we have had these sockets shatter under pressure..

Just my $0.01... ;)

The Harbor Freight socket sets are dirt cheap but are made of low quality materials. Just a word of caution if using an impact gun, be sure to wear eye protection as we have had these sockets shatter under pressure..

Just my $0.01... ;)

Well my experience with the Harbor Freight's impact sockets sets, beating the snot out of 'em practically every day working on heavy construction equipment, (excavators, dozers, skip loaders, compactors, 40 CU YD earth movers etc), and forklifts for about 6 years is that they hold up. And not one has ever split or given me a problem.

Company rules mandated that we always wore safety glasses. :) Great point!! :) :)

Harbor Freight's other tools, especially their electrical stuff leaves a lot to be desired tho.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

i suggest wearing safety glasses all the time when working on the car.....well i do now anyways since i spent the past 4 days at the eye doctor having a peice of paint chip removed from my eye with a needle, then they had to scrape some contaminated eyeball off that had been infected by the chemicals from the paint chip. its been a very painfull and LESSON learned experience over the past 4 days.

i have 3 different perscription eye drops i have to put in 4 times a day, and a thicker vasoline gel i have to smear in at night before i go to bed. my vision is still very blurry and will be for the next week or so according to the doc.

sorry for the threadjack....WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES :excl:

:lol: