Beat a mustang, dang!

Technology

I was waiting around at a drive in for some people who never showed up but in the meantime there was a mazda meet with a bunch of slow, stock turbo speed3's and a miata, a 1G RX7 and a SR swapped 240, but it was old and busted. Later on this 5.0 fox body shows up and it has a mean idle, very lopey and I saw a "12. " dial in in his window. He erased the 10ths and 100ths. So after bumming around, I asked him if he wanted to run and asked what his ET was and he said 12.47. I forgot to ask what his mph was and I wish I would have. Oh well.

I told him I didn't want to launch it for fear of breaking my transmission so he suggested a 1st gear roll-on. So that's what we did. As soon as we passed a light pole we mashed the pedals and I heard his rev limiter before mine. He said it had gears, stroked out and a couple other things. I hit the limiter in 1st a bit, but it was hard to hear over his car. I grabbed second and spun 'em instantly and was falling behind. The wastegate didn't open till right before redline because I had no traction almost throughout 2nd. So I was a little behind at this point and it's funny that I didn't want to hurt the trans, but I was so in the zone during the race that I was just smashing the gears as I went despite the grinding. Third gear was the charm though since I shifted and started pulling on him, passing him and by the top of third (and the end of the straight section of road) I was about a car length in front of him. And then we shut it down and got on the brakes so as not to have problems in the next 500ft, haha.

It was my first real race since getting the car tuned. I asked him to do a highway pull, but he said no, and it's ok. I would have whomped him on the highway. I'm happy to know that I beat a 12.47 second car though. Street tires and all.

Edited by Technology

Excellent kill.

Have you been back to the dyno since you fixed your wastegate issue? You should update your snignature with #'s and maybe a date. I have a hard time following everyone's progress. :huh:

Also, I can't remember if I asked him or not, and it's a little late now I guess, but you should talk to "charles gardner" about o-ringing and whatnot if you haven't already. He was at Joe's meet this past weekend and we spoke a bunch, his knowledge of the subject is mind boggling. :)

• 5 months later...

I think I mentioned it, or wrote about it in another thread, but I met up with this guy at the normal meet spot the friday after I got tuned and fixed my cam, so I was at 433whp and 460wtq and the clutch was holding. I talked to him some more, still cool, but had hooked up his nitrous and gone back to the track and dropped a second off his time, so he was mid 11's. He also had his drag radials on, so what did I do? You know what I did, lol.

He kept starting slow, so I was always in 2nd gear and never got a good launch, always bogging, couldn't really brake boost, and even if I could have, I was hitting the rev limiter every time, and if it hits more than once, it falls on it's face and the nose dives like a foot. We went a couple times, and the first time, we ran out of room, but he was ahead the whole time.

The second time though, started the same, low speed, he honked thrice and just took off. That dang v8 instatorque, not to mention he was spraying from go. So he ends up pulling probably two cars on me by the time I get it into third, and third was just stupid. He was still ahead, but I started pulling up towards him in a hurry, but shifting to 4th, I was still behind, and it took all of 4th to catch up. The tach needle was up past 6 grand, and that means the end is near, but just in time I pulled right past him, and at 6500, I let off and it coasted up a little faster before slowing. I talked to him afterward, and he was impressed, saying something to the effect of, "That thing is fast, you passed me at 135" haha. 4th doesn't even go that high, as far as I know. I dunno, I should figure out what each gear can do at 6500rpm.

Again, happy to beat a quick stang, and even more happy that I caught up to and passed an ~11.5 second car. Wicked top end, son.

Thanks for endangering everyone with your foolish street racing. Guess life isn't more important than illegal street racing. Next time take it to the track plus this way everyone can see a time slip and know your telling the truth.

Wow you come on reading kill stories to talk trash?You dont like the story back out,I dont belive that he asked any one how/were he should race he share somthing he did in a car he built.

PS Hey tec good kill

Thanks for endangering everyone with your foolish street racing. Guess life isn't more important than illegal street racing. Next time take it to the track plus this way everyone can see a time slip and know your telling the truth.

Is this a joke or are you genuinely upset? You know youre on a car forum right?

ouch, crap got real , real fast!

Folk's true this is a car forum and it's true this is the section where we post war stories. No doubt, can I get an AMEN?

However, having said that I understand what stallion is saying. Street racing is extremely dangerous and those who havent crashed as of yet are immortal (least in their minds). Anyway I am guilty of sometimes indulging in a speed contest but I will say this much I do my best to make sure we are far away from other cars. I have 2 wonderful kids and when I have them in my truck or my wifes car and other jokers are racing around me I get pisst. So in short Stallion I hear yah! but this is after all the racing section of the forums so take the preaching elsewhere.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?!?!?!

I'm not building a drag car, lol. After this latest bevy of mods, I'm considering moving up to 1900hp lamborghinis. J/k. I do all my street racing in Mexico, where its legal and regard for life is less pervasive. I'd love to get you guys some computer generated videos of this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
It was a slow roll, I had to be in 2nd gear to be anywhere near where the turbo spools. 3rd would have bogged for way too long, and even brake boosting wouldn't have done mcuh for me. In a regular 1/4 mile race at a track, he'd probably destroy me. But our trap would probably be about the same or mine would be better. Only one way to find that out for sure, lol. Get to the track.

Nice kill....

feels good to beat mustangs, lol

..........................kill'n mustangs left and right....

poor guy.....

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv7/eurotiva/th_DSCN2554.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv7/eurotiva/th_DSCN2568.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv7/eurotiva/th_DSCN2553.jpg