EDIS Problem

So while the car has been down over the winter I got the bright idea to redo a bunch of the wiring. Mainly the EDIS related stuff and now I get no spark, go figure :(

What's the best way to troubleshoot this thing? I am getting a tach signal to both MS and the dash tach so the VR sensor and ignition module seem ok. The coil has +12V when it should. Spent the last 8 hours checking wire connections and all seems well. Any other ideas?

So while the car has been down over the winter I got the bright idea to redo a bunch of the wiring. Mainly the EDIS related stuff and now I get no spark, go figure :(

What's the best way to troubleshoot this thing? I am getting a tach signal to both MS and the dash tach so the VR sensor and ignition module seem ok. The coil has +12V when it should. Spent the last 8 hours checking wire connections and all seems well. Any other ideas?

How are you getting signal to the tach?? I have mine wired up following the instructions in this thread. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78932&view=&hl=+edis%20+radioshack&fromsearch=1

If you did the same and if you are seeing tach movement that would been that the grounds on each side of the coil are grounding?

Did you perhaps switch the ground wires to the coil? Or reversed the wires to the vr sensor?

im voting for the vr sensor wires are backwards. mine actually cranked and ran with it backwards but then suddenly i had a no spark case. after racking my brain and doing everything i could, testing everything 3 times and not finding anything. i decided to try swapping the wires and voila, it ran and has been perfect ever since.

I have my stock tach spliced directly in with the PIP wire. It has been like that for over a year with no issue. I did have it wired like shown in that thread but I was having problems with low RPMs showing on the tach.

Double double checked all the wiring and I can't find anything wrong.

I thought about the VR being backwards too, but I traced it back and rang out the wires and it is still connected in the same configuration as it was when running. I took great notes and labeled every wire as I disconnected it. Really thought I had my i's dotted and t's crossed. I may switch the VR wires anyway. I'll try swapping the coil wires also.

Double double checked all the wiring and I can't find anything wrong.

Pulled the plugs and it appears that one side of the coil fires intermittently (verified by a timing light) while the other set of plugs are just black and wet with gas.

I know my battery is weak so I am going to grab a new one in the morning. It's been on the charger for over a day and the jump pack also connected thinking that for sure that would do it. This is exactly how the car acted when the battery was nearing death. Although I thought it was the injectors not firing when that happened. I didn't check i just assumed is was MS not getting enough voltage to run.

My O-scope recently quit working too so I can't check the ground signal to the coilpack accurately.

Edit: I should add that it's not exactly no spark at all. The car will spit for a brief second when you first try to start and if you hold the starter on it will do this every few seconds or so. Just a quick, rough second of almost running.

Edited by psu_Crash

you dont have your spark plug wires out of order do you? ive had it happen.

I won't rule anything out yet!

It's something ridiculously simple I'm sure I just have to find it.

How are yours connected? 1/4 to coil 1 and 3/4 to coil 2? or vice versa

By coil 1 I mean the side controlled by wire 10 off the Edis module and coil 2 with wire 12.

is the coil good? Those ford coils were known for going bad. I can send u a factory diagram for edis if u need. just let me know what year and model it came from... Ps when is the meet at joe's.. i'm in hazleton...

The coil is an Accell coil I bought from jegs last fall but I will be checking it out momentarily. I found some specs to test at Summit

Meet at Joe's is this Saturday. If you are free you should stop by

I believe it's from a '92 Ecort GT. I'll take any schematics I can get to add to the collection.

Edited by psu_Crash

send me your email. I never had any luck with pics on here.....

Nevermind. I just found said diagram.

Wires are all correct. Tried to start it this morning and it all but started. Put the timing light on each wire with the injectors not firing and I am now getting spark weak .. but spark.

I'm now pretty sure that I was just flooded and fouled the plugs :rolleyes: ... new plugs will be here in the morning.

SOLVED!!

So after switching the VR wires and in desperation switched the coil wires too without getting anywhere I replaced the plugs/wires too. Nothing, so I put that all back how it was.

Using my multimeter I was pretty sure the ground to the coils was pulsing so I jumped 12 volts straight to the coil bypassing my rev limiter and VIOLA! IT STARTED and it runs purrfect :)

I am using THIS EDIS rev limiter that I modified to work with MS. Apparently I did something wrong because it would fire for a second and then cut the 12V to the coil. I'll have to look into it further.

If you read the latest information on EDIS in the MSextra documentation they recommend tossing the EDIS module and running the coils directly from megasquirt. Then you get the benefit of spark cut, only requires two transistors.

Scott

If you read the latest information on EDIS in the MSextra documentation they recommend tossing the EDIS module and running the coils directly from megasquirt. Then you get the benefit of spark cut, only requires two transistors.

Scott

Scott I did see that. It may be in the plans for the near future.

unless your on the bottle why would you have to cut spark and fuel,, if theres no fuel what would the spark hurt

just asking don't bite my head off :)

I'm not on the bottle but I am on water/meth injection. I guess it's just piece of mind to know the plugs aren't firing either.

I'd never bite your head off Shelby! (I save that for the noobs)